314-918-7900

146 W. Lockwood Ave. ( )

St Louis, MO 63119

Neighborhoods: Webster Groves

Description: The Block is a Italian, Organic, and Comfort Food restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Webster Groves, Italian, Good For Kids, Good for groups, Organic, Fish, Comfort Food, Barbecue, Burgers, and Local Sourcing
  • 6 dishes entered by diners at The Block
Diner Log for The Block:
  • 06/29/2013 - A diner from Saint Louis, MO hasn't been here but wants to try it.
  • 12/19/2013 - A diner from Springfield, MO hasn't been here but wants to try it.

Reviews for The Block

Other Reviewer Smoking Crack

Did the previous reviewer seriously call the chef the next day to argue with him about the consistency of grits?! Woah.

Generally, I couldn’t disagree more about the staff, the chef, the food and the price. The staff are always laid back and cool, the chef is a genius but also happens to be unbelievably nice and personable. The food is life-changingly tasty. And the prices are, for the quality, a great value.

My husband and I dine in and carry out of the Block on an embarrassingly regular basis. What can I say— two babies, two more-than-full-time jobs and a tiny kitchen in our interim living space. I don’t even think I could count the number of times we’ve eaten The Block food (dine in, but more frequently take out). As for dine-in, I’d like to personally embrace the staff for graciously seating my infant twins and huge demanding extended family on multiple occasions. Approximately how many forks will we throw on the floor? More than you can truly appreciate.

I could, however, count the number of times I’ve been dissatisfied on, like, two fingers. Actually I can only think of once but I’m trying to be diplomatic. The trout wasn’t great last time I was there but was amazingly PARALYZINGLY good the 5 times before that. The pulled pork is hands down the best ever in the history of the world. The brisket sandwich (RIP brisket sandwich, please, Brian, bring it back) is tender and juicy on the outside, served moist salty pretzel bread and accompanied by this horseradishy goodness that I request on the side and in duplicate. Macaroni & Cheese (with bacon!!) will make you happy for at least 5 calender days following consumption. I’ve never had better Amish chicken or any other religiously denominated chicken, for that matter. The Shrimp and… what’d that guy call it again? Whatever— it’s good too. Not my favorite but really, really good.

Macaroni & Cheese (Get. The. Bacon.)

Will make you happy for at least 5 calendar days following consumption.

Amish Chicken

Unfailingly tender and juicy

Pulled Pork

Best ever in the history of the world

Brisket Sandwich (RIP: Please bring it back!)

Life changing. Please order it if it’s available. You shan’t regret it. And get the horseradish on the side x2.

Trout

With one exception out of…. 10(?), exceptional dish.

Terrible EGO on the owner

Not worth the price. Snooty portions. Egotistical owner. Mark or Matt? I went in early this week and as an appetizer, ordered the shrimp and grits. Growing up in the south, I expected white, well “gritty” grits.

What I got was polenta, but didn’t realize it until after I’d left the restaurant. I commented to my fellow diners how strange it was that they were so fine and…yellow. Tasteless, besides.

The shrimp (3) were very greasy, there was a fair amount of onion and the sauce drizzled on top was alright.

I called the restaurant the next day and spoke to someone who insisted she was a manager, but didn’t sound too convincing. She said one of the owners would call me back, but nothing, sooooo…

I called back the next evening and spoke with Mark or Matt, who when I said, well if they were going to substitute polenta instead of grits, I would like to have been asked if that was ok or given the option to order something else, at which he insisted they use “fine yellow grits,” vs. the white, coarse hominy grits.

Um, ok.

So I did the research today:

From http://chowhound.chow.co…:
Hominy is lye-treated corn, so hominy grits is the coarse white meal that is used in Southern country-style cooking to make “grits,” the traditional breakfast plate accompaniment to eggs. Yellow corn grits is really a coarse ground corn meal, which is what one would use to make cornmeal mush, that unappealing-sounding name for what in Italy is the sublimely-elegant-sounding polenta.

SO I WAS RIGHT, BUT TOLD I WAS WRONG. Grits are grits, y’all.

How should he have handled it? Well, I did not get an APOLOGY. He did not offer the thought that maybe they should CHANGE the way it’s worded on the menu, so as to avoid future diners being disappointed. Perhaps something like a FREE DRINK or appetizer to entice me back?

Nada, folks. Just thinly veiled insistence that I was an idiot.

Disappointing and not worth the dough: my total bill was almost $32 for an appetizer (water to drink), a special beet salad and a dessert (the ice cream was equivalent to one large melon baller scoop – more disappointment for an otherwise tasty special dessert (cranberries and something).

Won’t go back!!!

POLENTA and shrimp (mislabeled as shrimp and GRITS)

UGH.

The Block is located near the cities of Saint Louis, St Louis, East St Louis, East St Louis, and Fairmont City.
People found this by searching for: Theblockrestaurant.Com, The Block In Webster Groves, The Block Restaurant Webster Groves, The Block Restaurant, 146 W.Lockwood, St Louis Mo., The Block Webster Groves Mo, The Block Webster Groves, The Block Restaurant St. Louis, and The Block Webster Groves Restaurant.

Link to The Block