The Gage

24 S Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60603

Neighborhoods: Loop
Cuisine: Late Night, Wild Game, Bar Food

The Gage is a Late Night, Wild Game, and Bar Food restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

No Rating
annie photo

annie

Chicago, IL
The Gage 3.0

for the City Gentlemen & Ladies

I dined with Red and the City Gentlemen, who was kind enough to come to this “gastropub” despite recent oral surgery. Both Red and CG, in their youthful 50’s, agreed the bar area was much too loud; we were lead away to a far back room with big, tall booths. The menu offered a few different options for First, Second, Third, and Fourth courses. Red & my first and second courses consisted of a Bud Lite and a $12 cocktail (deelish). Bread was handed to us gingerly with tongs; the bread was boring and bland. I’d rather have eaten the tongs.
Salt and pepper came in little boxes that you sprinkled on with a tiny spoon. This place is expensive, kids — if you hadn’t caught on already, we had three different people coming to our table: the waiter, server, and the busboy. They came in waves.
“Would you like dessert?” the waiter asked. I said no and went to Baskin-Robbins instead.

Cheeseburger

Too much charcoal, oddly spiced. Maybe if i had gone for the $14 burger, things would’ve been different.
The fries were nothing to write home about. The fancy salt and pepper wouldn’t stick to them. I offered them to Red. That says a lot.

Swiss Chard with Garlic

Cooked well, not enough of a garlic taste. Came in a little black pot with a piece of newspaper under it. Why?

Tuna

“Good,” Red said without enthusiasm. It came on a long white plate. The tuna took up about 5% of it.

Ceaser Salad

“Better than most,” Red said.

HeatherHart photo

HeatherHart

Grayslake, IL
The Gage 3.0

We had an enjoyble double date here, though...

We had an enjoyble double date here, though some of the menu was beyond my normal dining palate…

We started off with the delicious Gage N-17 Fondue; I have no idea what the N-17 stands for, but the cheese and bread were warm and soothing on our cold February evening. For dinner I had the Duck Leg Confit & Roasted Breast – cooked perfectly and with a slighly sweet touch in the Apple Syrup. The smoked cheddar gratin that accompanied it was pretty good as well, though the celery flavor was a bit overpowering. Others in my party tried the Roasted Amish Chicken, Gunthorp Farms Pork Chop & the Roast Saddle of Elk – all were enjoyed.

Our waiter was knowledgeable, though a bit aloof at times. It took quite a while to place our orders… he seemed a bit preoccupied with making separate trips to our table for every little thing, but not asking for entree decisions for some reason. The ambiance was wonderful with dark wood and booths… and yet not overly ‘upscale’. Contemporary and welcoming all at the same time. One downside though, this place was busy enough that even with our reservation we had to wait about 15-20 minutes.

Fancy Expensive Late Night

From OpenTable:

The Gage is a 4-star rated restaurant located across from Millennium Park in a historically landmarked building built in the late 1800s. The Gage offers upscale, yet casual dining in a vintage atmosphere inspired by the gastropubs of Ireland and England. Time Out has said The Gage's menu "covers every craving" and includes Scotch eggs, fresh seafood, locally made sausages, burgers, steaks and salads. The Libations list features craft beers, interesting wines and a selection of Irish whiskeys and single malts. The Gage offers the perfect setting for a casual drink, a business meeting or a formal event--refined rusticity--steps from Millennium Park.

Owner? Claim The Menu

The Gage  Restaurant Reviews

The Gage is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: The Gage Chicago Brunch Menu, The Gage Restaurant And Tavern Restaurant, The Gage Chicago Menu, The Gage Menu, Brunch 60603, The Gage Restaurant Reviews, and Brunch Chicago 60603.