760-866-1952

330 E Amado Rd ( )

Palm Springs, CA 92262

View Hours
Description: The Tropicale is a Global, International, and Californian restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Global, International, OpenTable, Reservations, Californian, Casual Elegant, American, Contemporary, Seafood, and Eclectic
  • 2 dishes entered by diners at The Tropicale
  • 3 users want to eat at The Tropicale
  • 1 user loves The Tropicale

From OpenTable:

A chic and sophisticated décor provides the setting for our distinctive "world cuisine", a provocative mix of zesty influences that creates a delightful dining experience in Palm Springs, California. Plush high-backed semicircular banquettes surround our dining room and offer comfortable and private seating. The cuisine has a light, exotic feel with an emphasis on Pacific Rim specialties, from Chilean Sea Bass baked in Banana Leaves or Kahlua-Barbecued Pork Chops to all sorts of tasty tapas, salads, wood-fired pizzas, and desserts. The Coral Seas Lounge, a hip mid-century style bar is lined with sexy black leather bar-stools and is reminiscent of the upbeat lounges of old Palm Springs. It wraps around the dining room and leads outside to a lush, tropical, 2000 square foot dining patio where a variety of specialty cocktails and old-school favorites are mixed - an ideal place where friends gather and martinis are sipped under the starlit desert sky.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Reviews for The Tropicale

Editorial Review by Gayot »

COULD IT GET WORSE

Back again --- as a guest. This time the host had a plastic screw in his fish. The guy running place, at first, refused to make an adjustment… until pressed. It was a horrendous scene. Enough said…. never again!

The Tropicale

Wow.They killed "Tahiti" in LA, now to PS????

I was not prepared for this. I went to a restaurant on 3rd street near the Grove in 2001 called “Tahitit”. Horrible experience. After the waiter forgot to enter my dinner into the computer, I actually got yellled at by the owner (his boyfiriend, unbeknowest to us.) It was the single worst experience of my life in a restaurant. It didn’t surprise me to drive by a year later and see a “C” in the window instead of an “A”, What does a restaurant that was open for 3 years do to earn a “C”? that’s what Taco trucks without running water get!!!! Then, a year later when I drove by, the place was closed. Karma!!! Anyway, for Tropicale. I went in with friends, not knowing the Tahiti connection until I read the menu (it could be a xerox!) Once I saw the owners, it all came together. I kept it quiet with my group, not wanting to ruin the night. BUT of course, the arogance of those 2 guys came through. Our res was late being sat, we waited for food for 1 1/2 hours. AND when my friend mentioned this to the “formerly bad waiter” now Owner (???), (And I didn’t say a WORD about our past Tahiti experience!!), “Robert” was the rudest, meanest, most dismissive person I’ve ever seen. BOYCOTT this place! For ALL our sakes!

Menu

I can’t remomment this place. Sorry. Rice bowl, crab cakes and potstickers pretty good though. everything else, and the SERVICE AND OWNERS suck!

The Tropicale

If you are thinking about eating here, DON'T !!!

The 2 girls and 1 guy at the front host desk were the rudest and most unprofessional people of all the restaurants I have ever seen, and that included some third-country countries in rural China and Africa.
We have a reservation for dinner, and we arrived on time (actually about 2-3 minutes ahead of time). They told us it will be fjust ew minutes. But after over one hour, we were still not seated. After several complaints, they finaly seated us in the outdoor smoking bar area, even though our reservation was for inside non-smoking.

Also, the atmosphere was terrible. It was noisy, way too busy for a upscale restaurant (more like a busy meat market), and people were packed in there really tight.

Anyway, we complained, and told the hosts we were leaving and would never come back. And all of a sudden, after an hour of no table, we were told there were plenty of tables inside for us to pick. However, we were so fed up, we left in total disgust.

If you are thinking about a nice dining experience, there are many better options in town that treat you with respect and friendly attitude. If you want good food, this place is just average. If you want a restaurant for great “view” of people, trust me, there are many other options in town that you don’t have to go and be treated so badly.

So, if you are thinking about eating at Tropicale, DON’T!

Nothing

If you can survie the hosts of hell, good luck with the food. My suggestion, don’t go.

The Tropicale

Are you trash and want to be treated as such?

I was hopeful that this restaurant would make it. The food is good, not excellent. The service is good, not excellent. The management is the poorest I have ever encountered, however.
After 10 minutes of the lights being dimmed and then turned back up, I went to the reception desk to ask if they could please not play with the lights. Perhaps play was not the right word for meto use….I was told, and I quote, “this is my dining room and I will adjust the lights as I please”.
I ask, is this how you want to be treated?

3 months and already NOT SO NEW

The Tropicale is quickly becoming the newest success to disaster story in Palm Springs. They have the attitude that they don’t need to be nice to customers that have had a bad experience. One of the owners actually said to a customer “We don’t care if you come back” we have enough other customers that we don’t need you. With an attitude like that I’m sure there a mulitude of better restaurants to eat at in Palm Springs.

Nothing

We waited for 45 with a reservation and never got seated. We left. Never to return

3.0

New with Potential

Tropicale is the newest Palm Springs restaurant to open. The owners get major points for design and decor and they have been amazingly busy since opening in early December.

Unfortunately the service and mildly acceptable food threaten to make this a bar-only experience. The frenetic pace of restaurant workers makes one feel as if you are in the midst of a football match. Beware or you will be bashed into by someone racing to grab a plate off of someone’s table. The entire place needs a lesson in grace and calm.

The host is cute, but rude and abrupt. Tropicale should limit its seatings until it is able to graciously handle the diners in the room.

The bar is also poorly run with drinks taking 15-30 minutes to be poured. Inexplicable given the large staff present.

The food is passable, better than average but nothing all that special. It’s a nice space with edible food and if it gets its act together could become a staple for repeat dining in Palm Springs.

Right now, it seems the best strategy is to go for the first seating of the night. After that, it all falls apart.

4.0

Cool on a Hot Night

For several months we been hearing about The Tropicale Restaurant & Coral Seas Lounge that opened last fall. At first it seemed that it might attract more of a tourist crowd since it was across from the casino. Then, as with any new restaurant, the buzz seemed to be mixed about the service and food.

However a couple of weeks ago two of our friends who we value for their restaurant recommendations, told us that they had had a wonderful meal there. So when we were coming back from a very HOT weekend in Los Angeles, I suggested we go there. We were not disappointed.

From the outside it is hard to get a sense of the place, but they have a nice small parking lot in the back and a lovely outdoor patio and bar area. (Even with the misters on, it was too hot for us.) Once inside where it was cool, we were seated at a large banquet with very high backs. I don’t know why more places don’t use these higher banquets as they help to make your space a bit more intimate and your conversation enclosed. Some places now get so noisy that it is very hard to hear at your own table.

We started out with two of their specialty cocktails from their “Coral Seas Lounge”: a Peach Mojitos (Bacardi Peach Rum, Ginger Ale, Mint & Lime) and a Desert Pear Margarita
(Patrón Silver Tequila & Desert Pear Juice with Fresh Lime and a splash of Grand Marnier). Just yummy on a hot night.

Our waitress couldn’t have been nicer; on the ball, relaxed, funny and informative. What else could you ask for? Three of us ordered the Thai Grilled Shrimp & Papaya Salad with Cucumbers Sweet Red Onons, Toasted Pine Nuts & Lime Ginger Vinaigrette; the Pressed Cuban Sandwich with Roasted Pork Loin, Smoked Ham, Swiss Cheese, Dill Pickles and Mustard, and the Grilled Yucatán Chicken Sausage & Jalapeño Pizza with Jack Cheese, Roasted Corn, Red Peppers and Cilantro.

There were lots of nice smaller dishes too, but no one wanted to share, so we’ll have to go back for them. The entrees also looked great, as did the deserts. But for a hot evening, this place had just the right touch. It was cool in so many ways from it’s decor to those dining, that I am sure we’ll be spending more nights at The Tropicale.

Add/Show Comments (2)

Hated Tropicale!

Couldn’t have had worse food or worse service anywhere!

The waitress and staff couldn’t have been less attentive or cared less to make our visit enjoyable. Chicken was raw. Drinks were not good. Service was awful. Took twenty minutes to get the check so we could get out of there!

There are so many places that serve good food and care about their customers. We will never go back.

May 25, 2010

Great chic restaurant

The interior of this place is quite fun. It is very modern and chic and definitely set the ambiance for a date. If only I was actually on a date there. I was there with friends on vacation and we got a recommendation to this place from the…

September 25, 2008

Great Atmosphere

The staff welcome guests with warmth and genuine caring smiles. The bartenders are experts in making drinks, even obscure oldies like my favorite, The Negroni cocktail. The juxtaposition of island and modern chic decor may intimidate at…

People found this by searching for: The Tropicale, Tropicale Restaurant Menu, Tropicale Palm Springs Menu, Tropicaltropicale Restaurant Palm Springs Ca, The Tropical Palm Springs Owners, Tropicale Palm Springs, Tropicale Restaurant Palm Springs, The Tropicale Palm Springs Ca, and Palm Springs Restaurants Tropicale Coupons.

Johannes