864-681-8455

108 W Public Square ( )

Laurens, SC 29360

Description: The Village Cup is a Coffee Shop, Subs, and Coffee restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid less than $10, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Coffee Shop, Takeout, Good For Kids, Subs, Coffee, Vegetarian, Vegan, Sandwiches, Specialty soup, and Dinner
  • 3 dishes entered by diners at The Village Cup
  • 1 user wants to eat at The Village Cup

mbuxton28, the A TRUE FRIEND WHO TRIED TO HELP!!!!!, says:

This place has closed, due to Dean’s excessive drinking and flirting with teenage boys. We have decided to close the place down. We went from having BMW’s, Jaguar’s, the local police, and town’s people, to barely making enough money to support a days work. Thanks Calvin Dean Hammonds! You did a wonderful Job! LOSER!

From CityGrid:

Reviews for The Village Cup

• 8 reviews
  • First reviewed by gingo9

Very cozy and welcoming

My husband and I stopped by this little roadside coffee shop/restaurant recently, just past the historic end of Laurens. We were hunting for a local spot to have a nice cheap breakfast and a cup of coffee. We were warmly greeted by the owner. Basically, you just seat yourself, look through the menu, then go to the counter to place your order. I had a breakfast sandwich(which they call Panini on the menu) which consisted of soft, white bread, scrambled eggs, bacon and melted cheese, a side of cantaloupe and a cup of coffee which was 4.95. My husband ordered sides of bacon, sausage and scrambled eggs as well as a caramel latte. The food was simple yet very delicious and the atmosphere was quite cozy. The owner pointed out a little area by a fireplace which was surrounded by a recliner and a couple of comfy sofas. He pulled out tv trays for us so we could enjoy our little meal. It was extremely cozy. The atmosphere is very quiet and relaxing and the owner also provides Wi-Fi if you wanna bring in a laptop and just sip on coffee. The menu also offers lunch and dinner options which consists of wraps, sandwiches, salads, a small pastry case, etc. There were also some vegetarian friendly options such as a veggie wrap and a portabello panini… For the kids they offered PB &J or grilled cheese. If you just wanna stop by a comfortable and friendly place for coffee, or have a quaint lunch date with friends, this definately is the place to check out.

A very cozy atmosphere

The Best in Laurens

This is a wonderful restaurant. It has great sandwiches and salads at a low price. The staff is very friendly and the atmosphere is cozy. I am amazed to find something like this in such a small town.

Fruit and Nut Salad

Great!

I'd give it 6-stars IF I could

The place is wonderful. Very relaxed. The soups and sandwiches are great. Love the music, both background and the ever-increasing “live” scene. It’s bohemian, but classy at the same time
People bring their children, but so far, the kids that have come are very well behaved and that’s do to the fact the owners, Dean and Fred, have provided a “treasure chest” underneath a bench full of coloring books, and non-noisy toys. Checkers and chess playing is encouraged for one and all. The kids just aren’t hyper here. The atmosphere seems to effect everyone… It certainly helps with my digestion!
BTW, Fred and Dean keep a box of “costumes”. Sometimes there are little girl “tea parties” and the “guests” are encouraged to “dress” for the event…Very cute and VERY..PROPER!! :)

The owners put so much detail into the place, you notice something different each time you’re there. It could be a chair, a novelty on the shelf, or a lamp. Artists and photogs display their work. Patrons?.
Everyone from 8 to 80… Music isn’t too loud. They play Sirius OR other internet alternatives via a surround sound system from New Age to Folk. Someone brought another nice stereo setup however with vintage audio gear that occasionally plays WNCW-88,7 Spindale, NC (Americana/Folk/Bluegrass/Alternative) OR NPR 90.1 from Greenville (In addtion to CD’s)

Sometimes they have an alternative video night with all sorts of genre. There’s a regular tv in the corner by the fireplace with DVD OR sometimes, they “Dim the Lights” and have a patron play concert videos and alternative films via a screen and video projector. On Halloween, they even played “Plan 9 from Outerspace”, reportedly the WORST movie ever made. It was hillarious…

LIve music can run the gammut. Recently they had two classical violin/cello quartets. Soon afterward, they had a family bluegrass band. THEN, for something totally different, they had a punk rock night. I felt right at home, being an old Sex Pistols and Ramone’s fan. (yea, I told my age didn’t I?). AND soon, they will have a Drumming Circle. Bring your bongos and let’s connect!

From breakfast to closing (7am to 8pm Tuesday thru Saturday’s), this is just a great place. You can meet. You can talk. You can listen. You can study, you can browse (Fantastic WI-FI coverage BTW), OR you can just chill. Fred and Dean welcome all.

Food?. Try their soup d’jour. Their 15-bean soup is fantastic, as is their Alaskan Salmon stew. One of my faves is the tomato basil, and their beef stew chowder, Their sandwiches/panninis are excellent.

Coffee drinks?. Try their grasshopper.

No beer and wine license (yet) and they may forgo that due to local regulations.

I want you to know, I’m not praising the place because I’m a regular. It’s the place that MADE me a regular!. I just wish they could stay open 7 days a week because I’d be there every single day. AND that’s not because I don’t have alternatives. Dean and Fred work so hard though, I don’t resent them taking a well-deserved break.

I’ve been to alot of coffeeshops, but have never felt more at-home/welcome, than The Village Cup. IF I had a coffeehouse of my own, I’d attempt to make it just like this one!

Oh yes, everything IS quite reasonable. It would cost you much more anywhere else WITHOUT the great atmosphere.

PS…Did i mention they have great deserts too?. Don’t keep thinkin’ that pie is ONLY for Sundays…Have it every day (they’re open) at The Village Cup!!!

ANY SOUP/BBQ Chipotle Sandwich

Any soup…Each time, Fred and Dean suprise me. Tomato Basil, Alaskan Salmon Stew, Creme Beef Stew, 15-bean. So filling…
Try anyone of these with a half or full-sandwich. My fave “sam’ich” (just tastes better when I say “sam’ich”) is the BBQ Chipotle Sandwich

The friendliest, if not the best restaurant in Laurens, SC

Been here many times. Good food, reasonable prices, and nicest and friendliest bunch of people in town. Lots od stuff for the veggie lovers, but they also make a great salads and sandwiches. If your looking for anything fried, you’re out of luck. Occasionally have live music featuring local amateurs on a Saturday night, some of whom are surprisingly good.
Just a great place.

Add/Show Comments (1)

wonderful food, wonderful atmosphere

I am a veggan, and wow doing all the cooking gets trying but whats more trying is trying to find a place that you can eat at! I have to say i had the Vaggan Ruben wonderful! it tasted like a real Beef Ruben! Wonderful job! it was served with all organic blue corn chips and Humus! which was wonderful also! a great value! and the fire place was a cosy place to enjoy this treat! I did not get to try any coffee, but i will try some soon! I want to try the veggan Chile and mash patotos! if you have not tried this hidden treat go out and try it! you will love the atmosphere, i found it to be much like the Coffee Underground in Greenville, I miss you my haunt! living in Laurens now i may have found a new home" The Village Cup!
would love to see a veggan Pizza hit the menu!

Veggan Ruben

Savory! wonderful! great taste and it held together great! a must try!

May 17, 2010

Great Food

This is a different restarant not your fast food or fried meals. They have Panini's, frozen coffee's. Various Salads. If you want something different then come here. Where else will you find Orange Cranberry Wild Rice Salad as a side. My…

February 25, 2010

Nasty food

Horrible food stay away from this place!!!!

The Village Cup is located near the cities of Watts Mills.
People found this by searching for: The Village Cup Laurens Sc, Village Cup, Lauren's Sc, Village Cup, Lauren's Sc Restaurant, The Village Cup, Sam Sexy But Boy 29360 Facebook, The Village Cup Laurens, Village Cup Laurens, Village Cup Laurens Sc, and Village Cup.

Nearby Restaurants