972-289-7086

1012 Ridgeview St ( )

Mesquite, TX 75149-2018

Description: Tortas La Hechizera is a Mexican restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal and paid less than $10.
Tags: Incognito Critic, Large, Huaraches, Sopes, Tacos, Tortas, Hechizera, Mesquite, Authentic, and Mexican
  • 3 dishes entered by diners at Tortas La Hechizera
  • 1 user wants to eat at Tortas La Hechizera

Reviews for Tortas La Hechizera

Tortas La Hechizera

Are you looking for more than a tasty restaurant… one that could double as a field trip for your kids as well? Look no further. You must visit Tortas La Hechizera. It is as if you have stepped into a time warp tunnel and ended up in Mexico. Well, a time travel tunnel without the actual cost and wind blown hair.

Pulling up to Tortas La Hechizera, my kids and I were a little apprehensive about actually going in. It looked a little small and dingy from the outside. But we pulled up our boot straps and entered in the name of getting this review to my people!

Boy, were we surprised when we walked in. It was HUGE in there! And it had a definite smell of cleanliness – mixed with the odor of grease from the kitchen. Nothing fancy – no frills of the large chain restaurants, but the lack of ambiance actually added to the ambiance. (Like I stated above, this place is like a field trip to Mexico!) The walls are a brownish orange, and the floor has brown with a hint of orange ceramic tiles. There are Mexican chips, nuts, ice cream and candies on display for purchase with your meal, or after it. On the walls, you will see prints of old Mexico as well as three TV’s. The televisions all played the same thing… a Spanish soap opera.

The woman who was running the place motioned for us to sit down, and she brought us our menus. Now, I have to touch on this. If you are anything like me, and are not very well versed in Spanish, you just might want to take somebody who does know Spanish with you… just so you can navigate the menu more effectively. There is some English on there – but not enough to know what everything is. We stuck to tacos. “Taco” is the same in English as it is in Spanish – at least I knew that much!

Next, it came time for us to order. My son ordered a quesadilla, my daughter barbacoa tacos, and I ordered the chicken tacos. She asked how many we wanted, and then my son changed his mind. Geesh – it would have been so much easier if he had just stuck to his original plan… she admitted that she did not know much English, so getting his order changed was an ordeal. It was not unpleasant… just an ordeal. Actually, it was kinda funny! She also asked us if we wanted cilantro and onions on our tacos. We all did, and she was off! After a few minutes, our drinks came and my kids were SO happy! They got theirs in a large, 500ml glass bottle – straight from Mexico. They thought it was the coolest thing ever. I, however, got a diet soda and it came in a normal plastic bottle.

It wasn’t long until our food came out. We each got two tacos, and they came on little Styrofoam plates that you would normally find in the butcher department with ground beef packed on them. On the plates were two lime wedges, our tacos, and LOTS of cilantro and onion piled inside of the tacos. We also got what looked like a picnic ketchup bottle, but instead of ketchup, it contained hot sauce. Very hot hot sauce! The taco shells were corn tortillas. We normally don’t eat corn tortillas unless they are from Taco Bell and of the fried variety. For some reason though, we loved them here! They had a little grease in them, but they were still soft. I don’t know that if we had the option for flour tortillas. Perhaps if there was some sort of common language that was shared between us and our waitress I could have asked for them. I am glad that the corn tortillas were just given to us though, because I would not have ordered them if I had been given a choice.

The food was very good! I it was different than normal because it was real Mexican food – not American Mexican food! We will go back, only next time, we will be taking my husband so he can tell us what all is actually on the menu!

I give Tortas La Hechizera 7 out of 10 points for the restaurant part.
I give Tortas La Hechizera 8 out of 10 points for the adventure part!

For more reviews (including NON restaurant reviews) go to www.incognitocritic.blogspot.com!

Chicken Tacos