973-925-4949

331 Union Blvd ( )

Totowa, NJ 07512-2553

Description: Tuscany Flame Italian Grill is a Sandwiches, Italian, and American restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Sandwiches, Italian, American, Pasta, Dinner, Delivery, and Reservations
  • 1 dish entered by diners at Tuscany Flame Italian Grill

Reviews for Tuscany Flame Italian Grill

• 7 reviews
  • First reviewed by VickyR
Tuscany Flame Italian Grill

Wow, where do I start...a complete gastrogasm.

Wow, where do I start…a complete gastrogasm.

After dining out in many places in Totowa, I felt as if I was lacking a “true” five-star worthy experience….Tuscany Flame satisfied that void in spades. We went here on a Tuesday night and were seated after a two minute wait with no reservation.

Each member of my party went with the Tasting menu ($59), with my better half and I opting for the Australian Wagyu main upgrade ($15). I went with the Wagyu Tartare, the Dayboat Scallops, The Australian Wagyu main, and the pistacio tart for desert. .

Service from start to finish was near impeccable. Our server (whose name escapes me) was alert, attentive, and extremely helpful. He read the “vibe” of our table perfectly, in that he fed into our playful good mood by joking with us throughout the service. Even the support staff was attentive, as my father paused to look for the restroom a staff member ran over and asked him if there was anything he could help him with. There was the perfect mix of attentiveness without coming across as overbearing.

On to the food which were inventive and excellently prepared. The wagyu tartar was excellent, with the aioli and finely chopped onion adding just the right amount of flavor. The buttered crostini were the perfect conduit for what was a delicious tartare. The scallops was more like one large scallop cut in half. It was good, though personally I’d recommend the octopus which another had in my party. They Australian Wagyu main wasn’t the best steak I’ve ever had, but it was definitely up there. The sear was tremendous, and at several moments I had to close my eyes to savor just how good the melt in your mouth dish was.

The only hiccup on the night came with the delivery of dessert, which for some reason was inexplicably delayed compared to the other dishes. I believe we had to wait a good 20 or so minutes after clearing our main for it’s arrival. Given that all of our courses were delivered with great timing up on to that point is seemed a bit odd. Desserts were on par with the other courses, with a part of me wishing I had ordered the Gianduja Pave. It wasn’t that the tart was bad, it was just that the flavor of pistachio tends to be very light and I felt was overshadowed by the sweetness of the strawberrys on the dish.

Overall an unforgettable experience, and thus far my best dining experience in Vegas. My better half dubbed it the “best meal in her life”. I can’t give it that distinction, but it definitely deserves a spot in my top 5. Highly recommended.

Add/Show Comments (1)

Awesome

Awesome meal – the dishes were stunning in presentation, inventive, and well executed. If you appreciate food, this place is one of those splurges that is worth experiencing. My wife and I opted for the signature tasting menu, which seemed like the popular choice.
Decor/atmosphere – modern and sophisticated, dark and romantic yet without being too dark without being able to see anyone or any food.
Anyway, on to the food. My wife and I ordered separate dishes for each course, just so we could sample as much food as possible.
- Amuse bouche: cauliflower gazpacho, in mini shot glass. It was cool and refreshing with subtle flavors — a nice way to start things off and initiate the taste buds.
- 1st course: market oysters and the foie gras brulee. The oysters tasted so clean, so fresh, and I loved the little kick from the tabasco sorbet on top. The much talked about foie gras brulee did not disappoint — it was rich, creamy, and super decadent. An original dish for sure, and while I enjoyed it, I don’t see myself ordering this again.
- 2nd course: grilled spanish octopus and maine dayboat scallops. The octopus was unbelievably tender, and practically melted in my mouth. I wish there was a bit more of that grilled and smoky flavor for that added dimension, but just nitpicking at this point. The scallops were perfectly cooked, and I enjoyed the tiny bits of braised oxtail and mushrooms. I wanted more of that oxtail.
- 3rd course: 48 hour beef belly. My wife substituted for a pesto-like pasta dish, and while it was good, the only thing I can remember is my beef belly dish. This was my favorite of the night. Just imagine a beef version of a pork belly, but with even more flavor. There was a subtle hint of smoke, yet a bit of sweetness throughout the meat. I didn’t really care for the peaches.
- 4th course: gianduja pave and pistachio tart. The pave was absolutely a stunning piece of edible artwork. Every component was so detailed and intricate that I felt bad wrecking it with my spoon. It was fun to eat, and the olive oil ice cream was a nice contrast with all the crunchy textures from the hazelnut crunch. The pistachio tart was also spectacular in presentation. It was good, but definitely not as memorable as the pave.
Overall, an excellent dinner. I was a bit disappointed that they didn’t acknowledge our anniversary when I put it down as a reservation note, but hey minor details. Service was easy going, efficient, and on top of things.

Excellent and good

I’ve experienced a few Italian restaurants on this visit to New Jersey, and this one is definitely the best. It has a great atmosphere, and the food is possibly some of the best I’ve had out of Italy.
---—-Service———
The waiters were from Italy, and greeted us in Italian. Sitting there reading the Italian menu items with English descriptions, you could listen to them conversing in Italian and let it flow over you. The waiter was charming and amusing, and very helpful with recommending the best dish.
---—-Food———
And now the food. Ahh, the food.
As in all Italian restaurants, we got oil and vinegar and bread, complimentary. It seemed fairly good quality, and the bread wasn’t just the normal ciabatta – the basket also contained some slices of a nice bread with some olive taste to it. We were so happy with that we forgot to order the bruschetta!
My friend ordered their Gnocchi. Personally, I don’t really like gnocchi, I find it sticky and mushy in an unpleasant way. However, when I tried some of hers, I rather liked it. For me to say that about gnocchi means it was spectacular. The sauce was very good too, and good for sopping up with bread.
I had their Penne Mare e Monti, on the waiter’s suggestion. I had been thinking of trying their Linguine con Vongole, pasta and clams, but was undecided. The waiter said the Penne was better, and I’m glad I took him on his word! The Penne Mare e Monti is a dish with penne pasta, shrimp, and chicken, in a ‘light tomato sauce’, as they say.
It was fantastic. It tasted so authentically Italian and flavourful. This made my decision to label it one of the best Italian dishes I’ve had outside of Italy itself.
The sauce was done with tomato and garlic and white wine, I believe. I was unsure if I’d like the ‘light’ sauce, as I like really saucy dishes, but it was a perfect amount, with some extra to sop up with bread. The flavours of the dish blended well together, and the sauce itself took on the flavours of the shrimp and chicken. The chicken was cooked well, and was not dry.
For dessert: my friend had the cappuccino gelato, and I had the tiramisù. Both were scrumptious. The gelato had a crumble-coating that tasted like coffee bean, and fudge, and the tiramisù was done very well: the savoiardi (ladyfingers) were inside in a layer and were juicy with liquor and cocoa. A great dessert that hit the spot after the delicious meal!
---—-Service:pt2———
The waiter came by an appropriate amount, and noticed I needed attention in a rather timely manner, when I required more parmigiano. There was a slight pause when we asked for separate bills though, like we caught him off-guard, but there was no problem accommodating that. There was also no animosity when I asked for some of my meal to be wrapped up (saving some for later, as I wasn’t the most hungry and filled up rather quickly). In Europe, you simply do not ask for a doggy-bag. It’s not done. They’ll do it for tourists sometimes, but it’s frowned upon. I’m glad that mentality didn’t show in this place, like I feared. Imagine how italian it felt, if I was worried about that!
---—-$$$ and Menu Selection———
The prices were decent, the pastas were about $14-$18, which I find acceptable for the quality of the dishes – especially compared to many overpriced tourist traps in the area and an overall high pricing of decent restaurants in New Jersey
The menu was, admittedly, a rather small selection, and I couldn’t find a long-pasta cream-sauce dish, which I was hoping for. But the dishes themselves were so good that I soon forgot that craving.
---—-Conclusion———
I’d recommend this place to anyone – especially those who have been to Italy before and miss the food! As the site says, it’s “so Italian, you need a passport”. I only wish I lived in New Jersey so that I could come here more often and try all the dishes and desserts.

Veal, Chicken & Salmon

---—-Service———
---—-Food———
And now the food. Ahh, the food.
---—-Service:pt2———
---—-$$$ and Menu Selection———
---—-Conclusion———

Tuscany Flame Italian Grill

Price is reasonable but the food and service are Awsome good

Tuscany Flame’s is one of my favorite places to eat. The people are really friendly, the food is great and the prices are very reasonable. My favorites are the mandarin orange salad and the gnocchi bolognese, however the Flamed Flank Steak is definitely the best around. The only knock I can offer is that they are very busy on the weekends and sometimes it can take a while for you to be served. I don’t think they are being inattentive, they are just that busy. I have been going to Tuscany Flame’s and getting delivery from them for over two month now they really do a good job of customer service and prepare quality foods.

Excellent and Casual

When referencing Italian food, I am, by self-admission, one of “those guys”. And by that, I mean, your textbook foodie (hate that term). You know the type… who can’t enjoy a dish unless it contains at least three things that no one else at the table has ever heard of. In fact, my friends have long since coined a term for such a product…a “Jon choice”. So to any of you reading this, bite me.

I dunno, I’m just bored with the classics-the ragu bolognaise, carbonara, frutti de mare, etc, etc. One, because rarely are they made di autentico (yeah, I winced reading that, too), and two, because they’re so popular and ingrained into the conceptualized Italian dining ideal that the true culinary pedigree of Italy (which is every bit as dignified and sexy as French or Spanish fare) ends up drowned in red sauce, heavy cream, and peas.

Tuscany Flame, therefore, was a refreshing surprise. From the moment I opened the menu, I knew we were meant to be. The dishes, shuffled daily, were simple in concept, each featuring a handful of star elements in smart and fresh combinations. In their simplicity, though, they were almost paradoxically pretentious, unabashedly and nonchalantly proclaiming their deliciousness—best of all, at an amazing value. Modest and ostentatious. How great food should be.

My order was as follows; duck pate, halibut sashimi topped with a botarga endive salad, and pork jowl ravioli. I hadn’t intended on having two starters, but it was insisted that the duck pate was extraordinary. Who am I to deny myself a good thing? The other orders at the table consisted largely of Steak and Lobster Risotto with asparagus, saffron and caviar.

The halibut and ravioli were amazing. The former ranks as one of the best dishes I’ve ever had (“what the hell is botarga, of course you’d get that”-I still remember the dialogue), the creamy salad coexisting beautifully with the extreme fishiness of the roe and the zing of lemon, all wrapped up in a clean, smooth, raw fish finish. The latter was also excellent, with a firmer al dente than I was used to, and drizzled in good olive oil. The filling was proportioned daintily, given its richness, and was thick and gamey in all the right ways, something you don’t see a lot of in pork.

As for the service and ambiance, I can’t remember the last time I’ve had high end food in such a comfortable environment. Open air, dusky, romantic, and friendly, this place screams “date”, or, in our case, “bunch of dudes just maxin’ out”. Couldn’t ask for anything better.

At the end of the night, most everyone was in agreement—Tuscany Flame is great. Quality food at a casual price at a quality place. Conclusively, 4 star food (god, that puttanesca was really bad) in a 5 star environment. So let that be a lesson to you, the reader…don’t be sippin’ that haterade just cause a man loves his preserved fish eggs.
I will definitely recommend this place and we are greatly appreciate this place and we shall be back

4.0

We loved our communion party here

We enjoyed our gathering communion party for my daughter, we were about 90 people and we had chosen the $29.95 party package.
everyone had good time with great food, there were plenty of food to go around, they really lived uo to their theme of quality food and we did not have to break the bank. we brought our cake and also there were no extra charge.
The service was professional and friendly with attention to details which we liked and everyone enjoyed. moreover, they had plenty of parking for my party and designated a section for us for our gifts. we definitly coming back we liked here

Veal, Chicken & Salmon

fresh and large portion, we loved the food for being tasty with fresh herbs and nice plate decorations also came with broccoli and roasted red potatoes and we enjoyed monte carlo style it was a hit for us and we enjoyed it

Sabra & Ruffles!!

I rarely give reviews for things, but this experience was so all-around terrible that I have to give it a review to warn other people. Every part of our experience at Tuscany Flame, from the second we walked in the door to when we paid the bill and left, was troubling. In short, they had only one waitress and one busboy on a Saturday night, literally, so you can imagine that the service was absolutely terrible. On top of that, every single appetizer and entree that came to the table was disappointing in some way… the “Mozzarella Fritta” was literally a plate of frozen mozzarella sticks that were popped in the oven, for instance. The most shocking item that they actually had the nerve to set down in front of us was an appetizer called “Tuscan Garbanzo Dip.” It sounded enticing enough, but was literally (I kid you not) a plate full of Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffle Potato Chips (yes, there is no mistaking them) and some Sabra Hummus (I know how that brand tastes, and this was definitely it). I actually took a picture of this appetizer on my phone because I couldn’t believe my eyes…I mean, Ruffles?! I could honestly list about 10 other things that were just wrong, wrong, wrong about my dinner at this place, but that’s the short of it. I will never go back, and will always look back and have a good laugh over this place!

Tuscany Flame Italian Grill is located near the cities of West Paterson, Woodland Park, Paterson, Haledon, and Little Falls.
People found this by searching for: Tuscany Flame Reviews, Tuscany Flame Totowa Nj, Totowa Nj Union Boulevard Italian Restaurant, Tuscany Grill Totowa, Italian Restaurants Union Blvd. Totowa Nj, Tuscany Flame Totowa Nj Reviews, Tuscany Flame Totowa, and Tuscany Flame Italian Grill.

Featured in Totowa