Urban Belly

3053 N California Ave
Chicago, IL 60618-7005

Neighborhoods: Avondale
Cuisine: Noodle Shop, Asian fusion, Gluten Free

Urban Belly is a Noodle Shop, Asian fusion, and Gluten Free restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

jinkwell photo

jinkwell

Urban Belly 3.0

Gourmet Noodles

Is it the best gourmet noodle+dumpling joint I’ve ever been to? No. But to be fair, I was born and bred in Los Angeles, where handmade noodles and dumplings are plentiful across Japanese, Korean and Chinese restaurants. So, maybe I’m making an unfair comparison.

The food is pretty awesome. The pork ramen features chewy noodles with a rich, thick broth. And the dumplings are tasty, with interesting fillings and crispy wrappers. So…why just three stars? Why not go ahead and grant Urban Belly four stars? Good question.

I want to. Really, I do. There’s nothing wrong with the food or the concept. But it’s the price that’s been pinching me. I don’t mind forking out money for food. Hell, I’d gladly pay hundreds if I thought the meal was worth it. But I don’t believe ramen at Urban Belly is worth $10+. I’ve had better for far less, and it’s that memory that keeps haunting my wallet. I don’t know if I’ll be stopping by again. If I can’t find decent ramen in the city, I don’t suppose I have much of a choice, other than make my own.

Urban Belly 5.0
February 13, 2014

Amazing twist on pad thai
Urban Belly 2.0
November 8, 2010

no substitutions!

I love this place for what it is- fast good food. But I went there recently and ordered what I always order- a #15 with no mango, and the counterperson would not let me get it without the mango!!! Wtf?!? Why make someone eat something if…

Noodle Shop Good for groups Dinner
Tips
  • Weekends are currently a zoo, but if you must, come before 7pm. For less excitement try early in the week.
  • Unless you have a party of 10, you'll be sharing with strangers. If possible, opt for a table closer to the front as it isn't quite as busy with servers.
  • Aplenty. One of the advantages to opening in the hinterlands.
  • The sides portion of the concise menu offers seasonal kimchee, a Chef Kim specialty. Look for different varieties of cabbage used and a sliding scale of heat and pungency depending on the time of year.
  • BYOB--and you better stock up before descending on this neighborhood, which is about as equipped with decent liquor stores as it is with four-star restaurants.

Urban Belly  Restaurant Reviews

Urban Belly is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: Urban Noodle, The Scale For The Avondale Map. 60618, Urban Belly Restraunt In Chicago, Urban Noodle Chicago, Urban Belly Menu, Urban Noodles Chicago, and Urban Belly Los Angeles.