Urban Belly

773-583-0500

3053 N California Ave ( )

Chicago, IL 60618-7005

Neighborhoods: Avondale

Description: Urban Belly is a Noodle Shop, Fusion, and Vietnamese restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.
Tags: Noodle Shop, Good for groups, Takeout, Good For Kids, Fusion, Vietnamese, Noodles, Delivery, Chinese, and Noodle Bar
  • 2 users want to eat at Urban Belly
Tips:
  • Aplenty. One of the advantages to opening in the hinterlands.
  • BYOB--and you better stock up before descending on this neighborhood, which is about as equipped with decent liquor stores as it is with four-star restaurants.
  • The sides portion of the concise menu offers seasonal kimchee, a Chef Kim specialty. Look for different varieties of cabbage used and a sliding scale of heat and pungency depending on the time of year.
  • Weekends are currently a zoo, but if you must, come before 7pm. For less excitement try early in the week.
  • Unless you have a party of 10, you'll be sharing with strangers. If possible, opt for a table closer to the front as it isn't quite as busy with servers.

Reviews for Urban Belly

Editorial Review by Gayot »

Urban Belly

3.0

Gourmet Noodles

Is it the best gourmet noodle+dumpling joint I’ve ever been to? No. But to be fair, I was born and bred in Los Angeles, where handmade noodles and dumplings are plentiful across Japanese, Korean and Chinese restaurants. So, maybe I’m making an unfair comparison.

The food is pretty awesome. The pork ramen features chewy noodles with a rich, thick broth. And the dumplings are tasty, with interesting fillings and crispy wrappers. So…why just three stars? Why not go ahead and grant Urban Belly four stars? Good question.

I want to. Really, I do. There’s nothing wrong with the food or the concept. But it’s the price that’s been pinching me. I don’t mind forking out money for food. Hell, I’d gladly pay hundreds if I thought the meal was worth it. But I don’t believe ramen at Urban Belly is worth $10+. I’ve had better for far less, and it’s that memory that keeps haunting my wallet. I don’t know if I’ll be stopping by again. If I can’t find decent ramen in the city, I don’t suppose I have much of a choice, other than make my own.

February 13, 2014

Amazing twist on pad thai

November 8, 2010

no substitutions!

I love this place for what it is- fast good food. But I went there recently and ordered what I always order- a #15 with no mango, and the counterperson would not let me get it without the mango!!! Wtf?!? Why make someone eat something if…

Urban Belly is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: The Scale For The Avondale Map. 60618, Urban Belly Los Angeles, Urban Noodles Chicago, Urban Noodle Chicago, Urban Noodle, Urban Belly Restraunt In Chicago, and Urban Belly Menu.

Featured in Chicago