301-696-8658

228 N Market St ( )

Frederick, MD 21704

Neighborhoods: Downtown

View Hours
Description: Volt Restaurant is a American, Bistro, and American (New) restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid more than $50, and tipped between 15% to 18%.
Tags: American, Bistro, Delivery, American (New), Love, Pompous, Overpriced, Yuck, Reservations, and OpenTable
  • 5 dishes entered by diners at Volt Restaurant
  • 4 users want to eat at Volt Restaurant
  • 1 user loves Volt Restaurant

From OpenTable:

VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. “The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques.” said Voltaggio. VOLT’s relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color pallet that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Reviews for Volt Restaurant

Editorial Review by Gayot »

4.0

Volt is more of an 'experience' than just a meal ...

We have had both the 5 course tasting menu and Sunday brunch at Volt. Both were delicious. The interior of the restaurant is gorgeous – cutting edge design. Wonderful serving pieces. The staff is very excited about the menu and the concept, and it shows in their gracious service. Aaron, the sommelier, is charming and obviously knowledgeable – and his pours at the tasting were exquisite. His portions were also a very good value – I think it added $35. per person for wines to accompany the 5 courses, and all were interesting and excellent! Now, I will say that after the tasting ended we were all still a tad hungry. I grasp that it is supposed to be a ‘tasting’, but I really would have liked just one more bite of the fish course to really understand the complexity. Everything was so beautifully presented and so delicious – but just a teeny bit more food would be a nice touch! At brunch, the portions were much larger and were quite good. Not quite as creative as the dinner menu, but to be fair I think it was their 1st Sunday open. They have made a huge investment in this lovely restaurant, and I very much want it to succeed! It is a great addition to Frederick, and with a few tweaks and some time to ‘find their feet’ – I am sure that they will adjust and truly soar!

5 Course Tasting with Wine

All gorgeous and delicious – but a wee bit more than a bite or a sip of each course would be nice! The wines were exceptional and the pours generous – good value!

wow

Volt…
“You, complete me…………..”

Volt or Revolt

Our experience was awful. First a mistake was made in making our initial reservation so they moved us to 8:30. We arrived by 8:00, let them know we were there. At 8:30 we checked on the progress of being seated, we were told any minute. At 8:55 they were still telling us any minute and the manager had notified as well. Finally we were seated after 9:00 and several people who came in after us were already seated in the dining room. We were ignored initially and we realized the whole section we were in didn’t have any food and most were still holding their menus. We decided to leave; spoke to the owner on our way out as well as the manager. The owner just stated she had been in our shoes before but was not concerned that we were leaving and going to the Tasting Room. She didn’t offer anything to us in the form of a gift certificate, a dessert..nothing! We will NEVER go back, her pompous attitude was terrible.

Overpriced...Pompous...Almost worth a laugh

Terrible --- this isn’t Bethesda --- give me options, give me interesting selections, give me something less than $70 without making me feel like a single parent for having to order off the ‘a la carte’ menu. I was delighted when my companion told me we’d booked a reservation at the newest upscale restaurant to hit Frederick. I perused their website, drooled over their menu, and thought to myself with giddy anticipation, “is Frederick really ready for this?” After my recent visit, I’m now thinking….“Frederick deserves sooo much better.” Thoroughly disappointed is all I can say.

Seven Course Tasting + Wine

I’d love to provide a single dish review, but Voltaggio believes those of us that aren’t scum have to fork over $134 for decent to good food. You’d think…seven courses, my word, how could you ever eat that much? Not to worry, I could feed a family & have a bottle of wine at a Tapas place for the same price…and that’s being generous…to Volt.

Don't bother

Volt is in a great building, but that’s about all that is great about it. Lounge is nice and drinks were good, but restaurant service was TERRIBLE.

For a new restaurant, they certainly did not impress. We were seated over a half hour late, never approached in the lounge about the wait or apologized to.

The manager and owner were clueless as to customer service.
The main dining room is all white, very stark and crowded.

Very dissapointing-we ended up going to our old favorite-The Tasting Room where we had a great meal with excellent customer service.

Price HIGH, portions SMALL

To all,

This is not a restaurant that I will visit again without understanding that it has made some major overhauls. I do think for the price that the portions were small. My wife and I were taking our son out for dinner to say Thank you for doing some work for us. I will be taking him out to another restaurant. This is not a steak and potatoes restaurant if that is what you are looking for. My wife left the restaurant still hungry and unimpressed by the meal.

Bass

It was OK. Small portion and nothing fantastic in terms of taste.

Lamb

Did not like it!!!!

3.0

Kinda disappointed after all the hype

Made reservations a month in advance and really looked forward to eating food prepared by the now famous Bryan Voltaggio. His restaurant is absolutely beautiful with an extremely attentive staff though his parking situation leaves a bit to be desired. The ambience is nice but a bit on the pretentious side. We ordered from the prix fixe lunch menu and found both the starter and main courses to be undercooked and bland. The dessert was better but not enough to salvage the overall dining experience. For the money, it was below average but when you take into consideration the service and decor, it moves up to average. I was so disappointed as I had delusions of grandeur when it came to this place. The only thing I can think is that Bryan was busy elsewhere (perhaps working on the new restaurant he is opening in Frederick) and his sous chefs undercooked and under seasoned the food on this particular day. Better luck next time?

3 course restaurant week

Under cooked, Under Seasoned, over priced and over rated.

Volt Restaurant

On My Short List of Best Restaurants Ever!

Volt was such an unexpected and pleasant surprise the first time I visited in July of 2008, shortly after it opened. I was with a party of four, and we ate in the chef’s kitchen, which allowed us to watch our meals being prepared, observe the machinations of the kitchen and the whole choreography of a well-run enterprise, and interact with the then-new staff. Even more than the food, which I cannot praise highly enough, we were impressed by the thorough knowledge of every member of the young staff, as well as their enthusiasm, their discipline, and their willingness to interact with us to share their knowledge. The wine list was extensive, and the sommelier, with whom we spoke at length, extremely expert. The food was beyond superb, with subtle blends of flavors that worked very well. The staff were interested in our honest feedback, as some of the items seemed to still be experimental, and if we mentioned that one wasn’t quite as good as another, they brought us extras of the good ones. The decor is beautiful and the ambience simple, yet upscale and soothing. I have rarely dined so well nor been so well taken care of at a restaurant. Therefore, I was anxious to find out if my second visit would measure up to the first, or whether Volt, like so many start-ups, had flamed out quickly. I’m happy to report that the same party of four went again last night, this time eating in the dining room, and if anything the experience was even better than our original one. This restaurant is not for the fast-food crowd; it is sophisticated and, especially for its location, somewhat pricey. But it is worth every penny. I hope it makes it; I certainly plan to do my part to see that it does!

4.0

Not bad

Meal was good, enjoy the trendy atmosphere, thought the food was a little pricey, but plan to go back there.

dear, volt

hello… i love you.

2.0

Flashback to 1998

I had the chance to eat at Volt a few days ago. Im not going to go over all the food we had, because it wasnt good enough to remember. I will however just throw this out there: BANANA does NOT go with FISH!! I dont care how well you seasoned that dish, it almost made me sick. Whoever thought of that should be fired. Speaking of creativity, someone needs to tell the chef that his food has already been done. Chocolate Pave? No its not. Its Citronell’s chocolate kit kat bar! And the chicharones with cotton candy? El Bulli a few years ago! I mean come on, we all know its not their own ideas. Its sad when someone with money and no creativity gets a restaurant. All in all, dont waste your money here.

Add/Show Comments (2)

Volt Restaurant

OMG What a waste of an evening!

Dear Volt,

Thank you for making me wait 1 hour for a table booked one month in advance. It was certainly not worth the wait and your staff is a joke! I’m never going back!

Ravioli and pork medallions

What a Joke

We decided to go to Volt for DC RESTAURANT week since my husband works in Frederick and thought it would be nice to select a different venue. We had 5:30 reservations and arrived a bit early. We were not informed about the parking in the lot next to the restaurant so my husband let me off and drove around looking for a spot. When my husband arrived the 3 “hostesses” ignored us and just kept looking at something completely unknown. Let me note there wasn’t anyone else waiting or even nearby. Finally after 3-4 minutes they asked our name and offered to take my coat. On the way to our table I asked if it was cold in the room. The hostess replied it was not. We were seated in a room which although attractive enough had many large windows and was quite chilly so I said “oh it’s cold in here” she replied don’t worry they have lots of 5:30 reservations and it will warm up. HUH???

The food was OK but the service was so stiff and unfriendly that I wanted to shake the waiter and tell him to chill. I tried to make light conversation with him but it was as though I was being served by a staff of robots. I off-handidly mentioned to the server they had so many staff members waiting on the tables and how surprised I was. He replied with the unshakable stiffness that yes they have a captain, front server, second server busboy etc. I almost burst out laughing it was such a joke. Honestly, this is FREDERICK, MARYLAND not some European 5 star Michelin restaurant.

The food was good but the small portions on the HUGE plates made it appear even smaller. The most ridiculous item was the ice tea which my husband ordered. It was served in a glass with ice which appeared to be frozen in tea, along with a lemon slice and get this SIMPLE SYRUP. I wanted my husband to ask for “that pink sweetener”. On the way home my husband had to stop at Kentucy Fried Chicken for a sandwich!

Even with the restaurant week price of $35.09 per person, it didn’t seem worth the money spent.

3 course restaurant week

Good but not great

Add/Show Comments (2)

Over priced, Bloated and arrogant

“These reviews are not accurate at all. This place is very over priced, unfriendly wait staff, and very small portions. I will agree that the little bit of food you do get is very tasty but this place is really not worth the money.
It seems that the positive reviews here are from people who are pretending to be food snobs acting as if they have superior palates over everyone else.

It is time someone removed the " emperors clothes" on this place and revealed how over hyped and over blown it really is is.

Go to The Tasting Room instead."

November 13, 2011

Wonderful, Chic Restaurant

Wow...what an incredible place to eat. We've been in Frederick for 21 years and have seen our town grow tremendously. There have been good restaurants, ok restaurants, really great places but they just didn't bring it all together. Well,…

October 5, 2010

A nice ride in the country

Goat cheese ravioli was great; pork, tasteless. Too much art on my plate. Food is given more importance that it merits.

Volt Restaurant is located near the cities of Urbana.
People found this by searching for: Volt Frederick Md, Volt Restaurant Menu, Volt Frederick, Volt Fredrick, Volt Restaurant, Restaurant Volt Frederick Md, and Volt Restaurant Frederick Md.

Lintini's Pizzeria
Crabapples N. Y. Deli
Mountain View Diner
Red Horse Steak House

Volt200

Loves Volt Restaurant (1)

Wants to Try Volt Restaurant (4)

Cpqa4emmgr3btbaby-apxr