412-688-8220

5500 Walnut St ( )

Pittsburgh, PA 15232

Neighborhoods: Shadyside

Description: Walnut Grill is a American (New), Contemporary American, and Grill restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: American (New), Contemporary American, Good for groups, Grill, Reservations, Shadyside, American, Delivery, Burgers, and Pittsburgh
  • 3 dishes entered by diners at Walnut Grill
  • 2 users want to eat at Walnut Grill

Reviews for Walnut Grill

Just Direct Your Feet...to the Walnut Grill

My boyfriend Nate and I recently embarked on a road trip to Pittsburgh, as he is in the process of applying to law school (!) As important as academics are to his decision, the culinary landscape of our eventual living destination will be an important component in his final choice. At least, it will be for me :)

After great meals downtown, around Squirrel Hill, and near the Univ. of Pitt, Nate craved a good, meaty, juicy burger our final night in the ’burgh. My uncle recommended the Walnut Grill, located in Shadyside among the bustling and chic landscape of Walnut Street.

Walnut Grill is in the same building as Shady Grove, both owned by the same company. Shady Grove is more bar-like, and is on the lower level. It looked very festive and fun, but we craved a bit more privacy, so we opted for the Walnut Grill, located upstairs (the menus of both places are quite similar; I would say the atmosphere is the major difference).

As is our mark for a good restaurant, we were served warm French bread before our meal. The restaurant has an extensive beer and wine list, so even though the service was a bit slow at first we were able to relax with our warm bread and libations!

We started with Pierogies, which I’d never had before, but was told by my family I was required to try during this visit in Pittsburgh. For those as clueless as me, they are a Polish dish of potato dumplings. As a dumpling lover, my expectations were high…and I’m a believer! Delish! Not sure what the sauce was on these particular Pierogies (according to the menu, something in the chipotle-onion realm) but it was spicy and really good. I devoured them, although my generous nature did push me to give one to Nate :)

Nate, of course, opted for the Angus Burger with fries, and I can honestly say I’ve never seen him eat so fast! He said the burger was a bit overcooked for his taste, even though he requested in medium rare, but he assured me the seasoning and accouterments compensated.

I went lighter and stuck with a salad with grilled vegetables, including portabello (one of my favorites!) and zucchini. It was a very generous portion of grilled vegetables, especially since in my experience, restaurants tend to skimp a bit when adding extras to salads. It was a very pleasant surprise, and I finished the meal quite content!

As much as my body I wanted something sweet, we decided we were too full, and our wallets were too empty, to attempt dessert. However, the neighboring table ordered 2 desserts. Due to a bit of rude eavesdropping on our behalf (it was the wine, I tell ya!) and the wonderful sense of sight, the burnt almond torte and the brownie topped with ice cream (served warm, I believe!) looked incredible, and are definitely on my to-try list the next time we venture up to Pittsburgh.

Definitely 4 stars for food, but perhaps only 3 for service – we had to wait over 20 minutes once we were seated to actually get our drink order taken, and our waiter admitted to us that he had ‘forgotten’ about our table. Perhaps we should have been peeved, but I appreciated his honesty, and service was great throughout the rest of the evening.

Given how crowded and popular the restaurant seemed to be, I honestly think the slow service aspect was likely an anomaly, but perhaps notable nonetheless (my uncle said the restaurant is not known for its speediness). Good thing the food compensated! Pittsburgh literally left a great taste in our collective mouths :)

The prices were reasonable: appetizers ranged from approx. $5-$10, with sandwiches under $10 and entrees a bit more pricey. Would recommend for a date/celebratory occasion, but likely not for a “quick” meal out. Great location on Walnut Street!

(Ironically, Nate is allergic to nuts…goes to show you just how good the ‘Walnut’ Grill actually is :) )

Pierogies

My first exposure! Really delicious – I’m a big fan of dumplings, so I’m perhaps a bit bias. 4 pierogies served with a spicy chiptole sauce (and cheese-free!) – it was really good, but quite hot, so have a drink at the ready.

Add/Show Comments (2)

Chic Brunch

It was my first time visiting this wonderful restaurant and I was delighted. I was there with a large group and we were seated at a group of tables overlooking Walnut street. The decor was wonderfully modern with very quirky, fashionable light fixtures, painting and wall sculptures. Our server was prompt at the beginning of the service, but as they became more busy, she wasn’t as prompt with refills of coffee and beverages, but the bus boy kept our water glasses full.

Frittata

Light fluffy eggs, filled with zucchini, olives, cheese, sun dried tomatoes, olive tampanade, was delicious. Also took a slice of prantl’s burnt almond torte home, which was very good.

Brunch at Walnut Grill

I went for brunch at Walnut Grill with a group of friends. There were a lot of tantalizing options, but I ended up ordering cheese-stuffed crepes with blueberries. The presentation was lovely, though the crepes were a bit on the sweet side for my taste, especially on an empty stomach. The crepes also weren’t very filling; I ended up ordering a side of toast as well. I’d also advise against wearing a white jacket like I did, unless you want blueberry accents on your sleeves. The service was average, not particularly efficient or slow, but the prices were very reasonable. I would be interested in going again to try something else, but I think I’ll leave my white jacket at home.

Cheese-stuffed crepes with blueberries

Great Lunch!

On a weekend visit to Shadyside for the Annual Arts Festival, my friends and I stopped for lunch at the Walnut Grill. Several variations of this restaurant have popped up in the area, but I’d yet to try it. The food did not disappoint! We were there during both lunch and brunch, but I chose to try the Grilled Portobello
with Roasted Red Peppers and Feta Cheese, on Ciabatta. It was seasoned perfectly, and the bread was the perfect choice to go with the meatiness of the mushrooms. It was served with seasoned waffle fries, which were also quite good. With a class of iced tea, my tab was just over $10, which I thought was quite reasonable for such a tasty meal! The only downside was that the restaurant was quite full, and there didn’t seem to be enough wait staff on hand. Our server did the best she could, but seemed a little overwhelmed with all of the folks she had to take care of at once. All in all, a great visit.

City Delight

I enjoyed having lunch with friends at the Walnut Grill in Shadyside. Today I tried their Seafood Quesadilla. I found the Quesadilla to be quite delicious, as it was stuffed with artichokes, shrimp, crabmeat and scallops. My Quesadilla was served with a glass of wine. I was too full for dessert. It was quite a busy time during the Arts Festival and we still had very courteous service. I am looking forward to a return visit to the Walnut Grill.

January 29, 2012

Awesome Upstairs Lounge

For my brother's 40th birthday, I was looking for a nice restaurant with appetizers and a bar to watch the Pens game! He is not a sports bar person, so finding somewhere classy proved to be a challenge. The Walnut Grill was AWESOME! The…

July 8, 2011

good dinner

the dinner here was very good. i ordered the special of the day the top sirloin on top of a bed of potatoes and vegetables. the meal also came with a salad. the homemade dressing are very good as well as the entre. however, the steak i…

Walnut Grill is located near the cities of Pgh, Downtown, Mount Washington, Strip District, and Mt Washington.
People found this by searching for: Restaurants On Or Near Walnut Street Shadyside, Walnut Grove Shadyside, Walnut Grill Pittsburgh, Shadyside Restaurants Walnut Street, Walnut Grill Shadyside, Walnut Grill Shadyside Reviews, and Walnut Grill Shadyside Squirrel Hill.

Sonoma Grille