Went here with two friends for a dineLA dinner on Friday night. Here’s what I tried between my own order and my friends’:
- Cibatta, white baguette, and olive bread: Served warm which was nice. The olive bread was delish.
- Amuse bouche of spicy tuna w. cucumber, pink grapefruit, heart of palm puree, roe: Our amuse was actually delicious. Refreshing with spicy kick and the heart of palm puree gave it a nice balance.
- Manila clam chowder: Good in that it wasn’t overly thick, floury or overloaded with potatoes. That said, would’ve liked more clams which would have provided a stronger clam flavor. My friend who had been there before also commented that the bowl had gotten smaller since the last time.
- Seared swordfish with spaghetti squash, butternut squash puree, root vegetables, caramelized onion topping, and balsamic and brown butter drizzles: My entree sounded so yummy, but didn’t live up to its description. One of the fillets was a bit dry. The caramelized onions, which were sweet and tangy, was my favorite item on the plate. Overall, I’ve had more flavorful preparations of swordfish.
- Sauteed rockfish with potatoes and some cream sauce: I just tried a bite of this but it was quite good. The rockfish was moist while the skin was crisp, and the cream sauce and potatoes gave a nice depth.
- Cheesecake with raspberry drizzle, figs, apple slices, raspberries, and vanilla bean ice cream: The cheesecake was so smooth and light and the delicious vanilla ice cream was a wonderful combination. This was my favorite part of the meal (which is kind of wrong in a high end seafood place like this one.)
- Carrot cake with coconut cream cheese topping: Took a bite of this, and it’s pretty tasty. I liked how there were no raisins in the carrot cake. This is a pretty small serving tho.
- Dessert amuse bouche of pink grapefruit jelee, a pistachio macaroon, and a lemon curd bite: Not bad. The lemon curd bite was a particularly nice finisher with a nice refreshing citrus flavor.
Underwhelming, especially when you consider the high prices here. 2.5 stars overall. I wouldn’t return unless on someone else’s dime, particularly given the limited street parking, forcing you to pay a $8 valet. Boo hiss! I can get an awesome dinner with $8 in SGV or Thai Town!!!