213-891-0900

544 S Grand Ave ( )

Los Angeles, CA 90071

Neighborhoods: Downtown

View Hours
Tags: Seafood, American, Takeout, Chowder, Cheesecakes, Clam Chowder, Wine Bar, Delivery, Fine Dining, and Reservations
  • 62 dishes entered by diners at Water Grill
  • 1 user wants to eat at Water Grill
  • 2 users love Water Grill
Tips:
  • When making reservations let them know if it's a birthday or anniversary, and they will print a personalized commemorative evening's menu to take home.
  • The bar is an ideal place to sample regional oysters, share appetizers, or order off the dinner menu. It's also good for walk-ins.
  • The maitre d' can hook up diners with a free shuttle to the Music Center and Disney Hall--and the kitchen will time your dinner accordingly.

From OpenTable:

For over 20 years, Water Grill has sated the palates of fish lovers. From the moment it opened, this flagship downtown restaurant from King's Seafood Company has satisfied the need for a world-class fish eatery in Los Angeles. Hailed as "the best seafood in Southern California" by the internationally recognized Zagat Guide, Water Grill has consistently offered dazzling fish preparations of superior quality and freshness.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Reviews for Water Grill

• 5 reviews
  • First reviewed by mh2mh
No Rating

Editorial Review by Gayot »

always good

I’ve been to the Water Grill many times over the years, through different chefs (including Cimurusti, of course), for lunches, dinners, oysters at the bar, and of course, their beautiful incredible fruits de mer platter. But it had been awhile since my last visit, until tonight. I was reminded again of how much I love the Water Grill. Everything about it is just so wonderful. The food, the setting and decor, the location in a historic building, and the staff: every single person who comes to your table is so friendly, professional, polite, and down to earth. I feel so comfortable at the Water Grill.

I took my mom there for Mother’s Day dinner. I had planned on the tasting menu because I decided my mom needed to try her first tasting menu and WG was the perfect place for her to try it, and also I somehow have not tried it here. But found out when we arrived that it wasn’t offered tonight except the chef would make a special one for us since I had requested it; I had asked to sub out any beef, but found out the tm would include two raw fish items, and since my mom doesn’t eat raw fish, I nixed the tm, it would have required too many substitutions. They had a special Mother’s Day menu, so we opted for that instead. It consisted of three courses, two choices per course. So between the two of us we tried everything.
I am actually quite disappointed that they did not tell me about the menus before my arrival. I had made my reservation weeks ago, with the request for the tm, and never knew about the special Mother’s Day menu. Water Grill fell down on the job on this. But they were fully aware of my request upon our arrival, and our server was very gracious and so, all was well.

The food tonight:
—Their incedible clam chowder
—Lobster soup flavored with lemongrass (it was a bit too much lemongrass for my taste), with lobster ravioli
—Barramudi with couscous: first I thought, eh couscous, but it wasn’t the grainy type, and it was lovely, there was some perfectly cooked squid in it; there was a little drizzle of veal stock reduction, mmm
—Striped Bass, with a small wild rice stuffed red pepper
—Blueberry cake with blueberry sorbet, vanilla ice cream
—Chocolate cake (I think it was flourless) with raspberry sorbet, vanilla ice cream.
After dinner sweets: tiny lemon bar squares, some sort of candied orange or similar citrus, housemade butterscotch.

2.0

Watered down experience at Water Grill

Went here with two friends for a dineLA dinner on Friday night. Here’s what I tried between my own order and my friends’:

- Cibatta, white baguette, and olive bread: Served warm which was nice. The olive bread was delish.

- Amuse bouche of spicy tuna w. cucumber, pink grapefruit, heart of palm puree, roe: Our amuse was actually delicious. Refreshing with spicy kick and the heart of palm puree gave it a nice balance.

- Manila clam chowder: Good in that it wasn’t overly thick, floury or overloaded with potatoes. That said, would’ve liked more clams which would have provided a stronger clam flavor. My friend who had been there before also commented that the bowl had gotten smaller since the last time.

- Seared swordfish with spaghetti squash, butternut squash puree, root vegetables, caramelized onion topping, and balsamic and brown butter drizzles: My entree sounded so yummy, but didn’t live up to its description. One of the fillets was a bit dry. The caramelized onions, which were sweet and tangy, was my favorite item on the plate. Overall, I’ve had more flavorful preparations of swordfish.

- Sauteed rockfish with potatoes and some cream sauce: I just tried a bite of this but it was quite good. The rockfish was moist while the skin was crisp, and the cream sauce and potatoes gave a nice depth.

- Cheesecake with raspberry drizzle, figs, apple slices, raspberries, and vanilla bean ice cream: The cheesecake was so smooth and light and the delicious vanilla ice cream was a wonderful combination. This was my favorite part of the meal (which is kind of wrong in a high end seafood place like this one.)

- Carrot cake with coconut cream cheese topping: Took a bite of this, and it’s pretty tasty. I liked how there were no raisins in the carrot cake. This is a pretty small serving tho.

- Dessert amuse bouche of pink grapefruit jelee, a pistachio macaroon, and a lemon curd bite: Not bad. The lemon curd bite was a particularly nice finisher with a nice refreshing citrus flavor.

Underwhelming, especially when you consider the high prices here. 2.5 stars overall. I wouldn’t return unless on someone else’s dime, particularly given the limited street parking, forcing you to pay a $8 valet. Boo hiss! I can get an awesome dinner with $8 in SGV or Thai Town!!!

White Chowder with Manila Clams

July 7, 2014

Your unique restaurant name brought me here, just the curiosity got in me really hard to even view your site and wanting to be at your tables then tasting your foods.

July 12, 2012

Great food, didn't try the Oyster Bar but did try their steaks and they came out really well, just the way we had ordered it. The service was friendly and our experience here very satisfactory, definitely recommend to try.

October 4, 2010

Great Seafood -- some problems with sustainability

Came here for dineLA with my husband and 2 friends. The fish were just excellent with excellent service as well. This was our first time eating here. I had the red fish which is a mild white fish. It was perfectly cooked; not…

Water Grill is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Water Grill Tasting Menu, The Water Grill Los Angeles, Groupon Or "Living Social" Or "Giltcity" Or "Yipit" And "The Water Grill", Water Grill, Water Grill Shuttle, Water Grill Los Angeles Menu, and Watergrill Music.Center Hours.

Yofdoydp

Loves Water Grill (2)

Aryewmjyer3i2kaby-gaa7
magandadotgirl

Glendale, CA

aliza

0 useful

Wants to Try Water Grill (1)

lexiegehrkeroach

0 useful

Listed On

Most Romantic Restaurants in Los Angeles by foodha

Note: LA Magazine has called it the best loved seafood in town, while Angeleno Magazine praises "the opulent, dimly lit Art Deco atmosphere". The feel of romance is a given here.

Nearby Restaurants