Water Grill

Cuisine: Seafood, American, Lunch

No Rating
mh2mh photo

always good

I’ve been to the Water Grill many times over the years, through different chefs (including Cimurusti, of course), for lunches, dinners, oysters at the bar, and of course, their beautiful incredible fruits de mer platter. But it had been awhile since my last visit, until tonight. I was reminded again of how much I love the Water Grill. Everything about it is just so wonderful. The food, the setting and decor, the location in a historic building, and the staff: every single person who comes to your table is so friendly, professional, polite, and down to earth. I feel so comfortable at the Water Grill.

I took my mom there for Mother’s Day dinner. I had planned on the tasting menu because I decided my mom needed to try her first tasting menu and WG was the perfect place for her to try it, and also I somehow have not tried it here. But found out when we arrived that it wasn’t offered tonight except the chef would make a special one for us since I had requested it; I had asked to sub out any beef, but found out the tm would include two raw fish items, and since my mom doesn’t eat raw fish, I nixed the tm, it would have required too many substitutions. They had a special Mother’s Day menu, so we opted for that instead. It consisted of three courses, two choices per course. So between the two of us we tried everything.
I am actually quite disappointed that they did not tell me about the menus before my arrival. I had made my reservation weeks ago, with the request for the tm, and never knew about the special Mother’s Day menu. Water Grill fell down on the job on this. But they were fully aware of my request upon our arrival, and our server was very gracious and so, all was well.

The food tonight:
—Their incedible clam chowder
—Lobster soup flavored with lemongrass (it was a bit too much lemongrass for my taste), with lobster ravioli
—Barramudi with couscous: first I thought, eh couscous, but it wasn’t the grainy type, and it was lovely, there was some perfectly cooked squid in it; there was a little drizzle of veal stock reduction, mmm
—Striped Bass, with a small wild rice stuffed red pepper
—Blueberry cake with blueberry sorbet, vanilla ice cream
—Chocolate cake (I think it was flourless) with raspberry sorbet, vanilla ice cream.
After dinner sweets: tiny lemon bar squares, some sort of candied orange or similar citrus, housemade butterscotch.

PaulaF photo

Watered down experience at Water Grill

Went here with two friends for a dineLA dinner on Friday night. Here’s what I tried between my own order and my friends’:

- Cibatta, white baguette, and olive bread: Served warm which was nice. The olive bread was delish.

- Amuse bouche of spicy tuna w. cucumber, pink grapefruit, heart of palm puree, roe: Our amuse was actually delicious. Refreshing with spicy kick and the heart of palm puree gave it a nice balance.

- Manila clam chowder: Good in that it wasn’t overly thick, floury or overloaded with potatoes. That said, would’ve liked more clams which would have provided a stronger clam flavor. My friend who had been there before also commented that the bowl had gotten smaller since the last time.

- Seared swordfish with spaghetti squash, butternut squash puree, root vegetables, caramelized onion topping, and balsamic and brown butter drizzles: My entree sounded so yummy, but didn’t live up to its description. One of the fillets was a bit dry. The caramelized onions, which were sweet and tangy, was my favorite item on the plate. Overall, I’ve had more flavorful preparations of swordfish.

- Sauteed rockfish with potatoes and some cream sauce: I just tried a bite of this but it was quite good. The rockfish was moist while the skin was crisp, and the cream sauce and potatoes gave a nice depth.

- Cheesecake with raspberry drizzle, figs, apple slices, raspberries, and vanilla bean ice cream: The cheesecake was so smooth and light and the delicious vanilla ice cream was a wonderful combination. This was my favorite part of the meal (which is kind of wrong in a high end seafood place like this one.)

- Carrot cake with coconut cream cheese topping: Took a bite of this, and it’s pretty tasty. I liked how there were no raisins in the carrot cake. This is a pretty small serving tho.

- Dessert amuse bouche of pink grapefruit jelee, a pistachio macaroon, and a lemon curd bite: Not bad. The lemon curd bite was a particularly nice finisher with a nice refreshing citrus flavor.

Underwhelming, especially when you consider the high prices here. 2.5 stars overall. I wouldn’t return unless on someone else’s dime, particularly given the limited street parking, forcing you to pay a $8 valet. Boo hiss! I can get an awesome dinner with $8 in SGV or Thai Town!!!

White Chowder with Manila Clams

Glendale, CA

0 useful

0 useful

Water Grill  Restaurant Reviews

Water Grill is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Water Grill Tasting Menu, Watergrill Music.Center Hours, Water Grill, The Water Grill Los Angeles, Water Grill Shuttle, Groupon Or "Living Social" Or "Giltcity" Or "Yipit" And "The Water Grill", Watergrill Downtown La, Water Grill Los Angeles Menu, and Water Grill Downtown Best Dishes.