Call 407 53rd Ave N
Nashville, TN 37209-3341

Cuisine: Californian, Soul Food, Southern

Wendell Smith's Restaurant is a Californian, Soul Food, and Southern restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid less than $10, and tipped more than 18%.

Overall
Pros
"Great great great"
"I love Wendell's their food is Good"
"e.g. apple pie, fast service,kid friendly and the people are great and the food is all-around awesome "
"Best meat and veggies in TN. Family run and opperated. The staff has been there forever."
" wonderful veggies, excellent service, friendly helpful staff. .."
"The food is Great....."
Cons
"My mom remembers the place as a young child, shes in her 60's. The inside paint has possibly, been there as long. I little paint would go a long way."
"Parking can be challenging at very busy times"
Comments
"There Customer Service is Great"
"As I sit here eating hospital food, I sure wish I had thought about Wendell Smith's. It's worth the drive and $$$"
foodacious photo

foodacious

Nashville, TN
Wendell Smith's Restaurant 4.0

Meat ant Three!

It is a moderately chilly day on All Hollow’s Eve. My companion and I are running errands for my sick grandmother who is staying in the hospital just a short distance down the road. Our spirits are less than festive. Our stomachs are growling and there’s not much money in our pockets, or enough time to go home and catch a bite. We pass a few local fast food restaurants, but I had heard my mom say how much she likes Wendell Smith’s. So we stop in.

I smile at the waitress dressed as a mummy and she tells me to pick a table and she’ll be with me shortly. We pick a table near the back and expect a long wait as the place is crowded and busy. To our surprise the mummy returns with a smile and takes our orders. I order roast beef and gravy with turnip greens, macaroni and cheese, and potato salad. My companion orders bratwurst and sauerkraut, okra, mashed potatoes, and of course macaroni and cheese. We take a moment to look around the place, the warm style in which the tables are aligned; close, but not too close. The entire mood of the restaurant is homey and reminds me of my grandmother’s kitchen when she was well.

As quickly as our orders were taken, our food arrives, steaming from right out of the kitchen. The roast beef is tender and moist as if cooked all day long. The gravy is just thick enough and compliments the roast beef. My mouth watered with one look at the turnip greens, tender and delicious. It was obvious that care had been taken. Potato salad and macaroni and cheese, both are my comfort foods and both hit the spot. One look at my companion and I can see that he is enjoying his just as well.

There is a smile on my face as the waitress bids us a farewell, a smile that wasn’t there before. Friendly staff, clean and homey, and a good selection of meat and three’s to satisfy my need for a good home cooked meal. The service was quick despite heavy traffic and my wallet allows for a bouquet of flowers to bring to my grandmother.

Roast Beef and Gravy

Hot and tender beef, all the way. The roast tasted as if it was cooked slowly on a lazy Sunday with nothing else on the cook’s mind but the suppleness of the roast.

Judy56 photo

Judy56

Nashville, TN
Wendell Smith's Restaurant 5.0

Don't Miss This!!!

You have got to try Wendell Smith’s—unless you want to overpay for food that doesn’t even taste good—then you can go elsewhere. Wendell’s food is really good—home cooking—great portion sizes—homemade sides are really great—and the price is amazing—meat and three for 7.50? I am all over that like white on rice. The service is fast—if you only have an hour for lunch you can make it—the servers are great—you feel like family there. Very relaxed. They are busy at lunch—but you can still get in and out fast. I am so grateful to live close by—I eat there at least once a week. Daily specials—fried chicken on Wednesday and Pork chop on Thursday are my favorites—although their meat loaf on Tuesday is excellent.

Fried Chicken

Fried chicken is the best I have ever had—sorry KFC. Add those homemade sides and you are in high cotton!

Meat-and-Three Californian Home Cooking
Mon-Sat 06:00AM - 07:30PM

Wendell Smith's Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

• 03/16/2013 - A diner tried it and liked it.
  • 05/31/2013 - A diner tried it and liked it.
  • 07/26/2013 - A diner tried it, liked it, and rated it 4 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 08/04/2013 - A diner from Elgin, IL tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 08/12/2013 - A diner from Nashville, TN tried it.
  • 01/28/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
    Pros: 'The food is Great.....'
  • 02/24/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
  • 04/14/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
    Pros: ' wonderful veggies, excellent service, friendly helpful staff. ..'
    Cons: 'Parking can be challenging at very busy times'
  • 05/17/2014 - A diner from Saint Petersburg, FL tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 05/22/2014 - A diner tried it.
  • 06/24/2014 - A diner tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 06/26/2014 - A diner tried it.
  • 07/22/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 07/24/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
    Pros: 'Best meat and veggies in TN. Family run and opperated. The staff has been there forever.'
    Cons: 'My mom remembers the place as a young child, shes in her 60's. The inside paint has possibly, been there as long. I little paint would go a long way.'
    Comments: 'As I sit here eating hospital food, I sure wish I had thought about Wendell Smith's. It's worth the drive and $$$'
  • 08/03/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 4 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 08/03/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 08/06/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
    Pros: 'e.g. apple pie, fast service,kid friendly and the people are great and the food is all-around awesome '
  • 09/04/2014 - A diner from New York, NY tried it, liked it, and rated it 4 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.
  • 09/28/2014 - A diner from Saint Petersburg, FL tried it, liked it, and rated it 4 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 09/29/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
  • 10/01/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
  • 11/05/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it and liked it. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 11/10/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 4 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 12/31/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 3 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 01/08/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 4 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 01/31/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
    Pros: 'Great great great'
  • 02/04/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 02/25/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
  • 03/08/2015 - A diner tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 03/12/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
  • 03/25/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
  • 04/05/2015 - A diner tried it.
  • 06/03/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
People found this by searching for: Wendell Smith Menu, Wendell Smith Restaurant, Wendell's Nashville, Wendell Smith's Restaurant Nashville, Wendell Smith Restaurant Menu, Wendell's Restaurant Nashville, Wendell Smith Restaurant Nashville, Wendell Menu Nashville Tn, and Wendell Smith's Restaurant.