Westside Tavern

10850 W Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90064-2132

Neighborhoods: West Los Angeles
Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American

Westside Tavern is a American, Californian, and Contemporary American restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.

Pros
"chicken mousse is the best I have ever has !! great portions!!"
Cons
"nothing, everything was perfect !!"
Comments
"A must place to eat food, ambience, service where all excellent "
LAFoodGod photo

LAFoodGod

Westside Tavern 4.0

A Modern So Cal Tavern

It only took about 20 years for Westside Pavilion to do something productive with Westside II. It started be demolishing the most pointless mall addition ever. Then it got interesting when they added a great movie theather to the Westside. And now with the addition of Westside Tavern this mall has relevance.

Westside Tavern is like Gulfstream meets Houstons. It’s huge, a massive space, it’s the new (fat) K-Fed of restaurants. It’s over 10,000 square feet and seats over 300 people. It has a spacious wide open dining room with comfy booths, a great long bar and two private dining rooms.

The menu is American Fancy with a full bar, trendy cocktails, wine and craft beers. There are always specials written in chalk on the three almost 10 × 10 chalk boards. What brought me to Westside Tavern was that I had heard that recently their burger was named the best in LA! A bold statement. However, this isn’t just about burgers. I’ve also had a few other things.

Let’s start with the Gazpacho…it’s was amazing! It’s all based around fresh ingredients, chunky tomatoes and veggies with poached shrimp. It’s not like eating blended mild salsa like a lot of gazpacho. If it’s offered go for it. It was probably the best I’ve ever had.

The Lamb French Dip was tasty, but the french roll sucked. It was just a boring piece of bread. The meat was tender and juicy, the caramelized onions flavorful and the horseradish cream was like fancy Arby’s Horsey sauce, it was fantastic. I ended up putting it on the burger.

The Fish and Malt Vinegar Chips were light, fluffy, cripy, delicious and not too filling. It’s three pieces of ale breaded halibut, not a ton of food but a good amount. It’s served with a bowl of freshly made malt vinegar potato chips, nicely salted, but they could have used a little more malt. The Tarragon Dill Tartar Sauce was nothing short of amazing.

The Burger. It was good, but not take off your baseball hat and slam it down on the bar good. The meat was tender and juicy. It held together well. The meat has a very tasty flavor. The Cheese, a Tillimook Cheddar, was kinda boring, and the burger needed a thick slice of bacon. The egg bun was good, soft and moist and held together well. My biggest issue with the burger was it needed a sauce. The horseradish cream sauce was so good I slathered my burger in it. That sealed the deal for me, it was like putting a fresh coat of paint on a classic car.

Westside Tavern is good, but why should you go to Westside Tavern? THE WARM STICKY TOFFEE CAKE with Marscapone Cream. I’m not sure how to describe it, but it was mabye the best dessert I’ve ever had. It was moist, fluffy, sweet and sticky. The flavors combination of Toffee, cake and marscapone were too perfect to leave even a smudge on the plate.

www.LAFoodGod.com

Gazpacho

Lamb French Dip

Burger

I want to say it’s a 3.5 stars but that’s not allowed.

Ching photo

Ching

Santa Monica, CA
Westside Tavern 4.0

Yummy Chicken Liver Mousse

Being a type A personality, I have to admit that I was a tad bit nervous joining my new friends, Daniel L and Tony Y, at prime time this past Friday night because Westside doesn’t take reservations.

Parking was ridiculous in their underground multi-level parking structure that they share with the Landmark and, I’m sure, other Pavilion shoppers. There were sooo many cars taking up two spaces in what was obviously marked “compact” spaces!! People, if you can’t fit, move along!!! Ugh! But, sorry, I digress. This isn’t a Westside Tavern/Landmark Theater parking structure review. But WT does deserve props for providing free parking in WLA – its a MAJOR and much appreciated plus!!

SERVICE: We were seated relatively quickly. I think our wait was, maybe 15 minutes? Tracy was our waitress who took really great care of us. Our glasses were never empty, and our empty dishes were always cleared. Her recommendations were also spot on.

FOOD:

• Chicken Liver Mousse Jar Appetizer – We shared this one based on Tracy’s recommendation. The liver mousse was a fine whipped pate like concoction topped with a thin layer of port flavored jelly. It was interesting to see it arrive in a jar. We simply didn’t know how to, um, attack it? Thank goodness Tracy was there to advice us to simply spoon it onto the toasted crustini’s along with the apple chutney garnish that came along with the dish.

We discovered that the mousse really needs to be generously smeared to really enjoy its creamy rich flavor. The apple chutney provided a really smart combination of tart and subtle sweetness to contrast the richness of the mousse. Bravo on originality Westside! (Confession: Had I not been in the company of two fine gentleman that evening, I would have shamelessly licked that spoon clean as I have with nutella or peanut butter. It was THAT mmm mmmm good!) However, I personally wasn’t a fan of the crustini’s which was toasted french bread seasoned with olive oil and herbs. The crustini’s simply were too hard, like a biscotti, which to me overpowered the fine creamy texture and flavor of the liver mousse. I would have preferred a softer flat bread alternative.

• Seared Scallops with sauteed spinach, pearl onions and persimmons in blood orange vinaigrette – This was the evening’s special. It comes with 4 very large plump/dense scallop medallions that was incredibly filling. I found it to be a bit too salty for my taste. The persimmons was a surprising twist to this dish for an occasional burst of sweetness.
  • Warm Sticky Toffee Cake with Mascarpone Cream – It was interesting to see this cake and cream NEVER lose its form while we chatted away into the evening. Yes sirree, the cream never melted. Both cake and cream were too rich for me texture wise, and was also tasteless so I left it up to Tony and Daniel to polish off.

Overall, a wonderful semi-upscale ambiance that reminds me alot of Houston’s. I really enjoyed the vibe of WT and would gladly return/recommend to others wholeheartedly – and I’ll take another one of those Chicken Liver Mousse Appetizers please.

Chicken Liver Mousse Jar Appetizer

American Good for groups Takeout

From OpenTable:

Westside Tavern is a social, urban-minded restaurant, featuring chef-driven California Tavern Cuisine alongside a complimentary selection of fresh cocktails, California craft beers and a boutique wine list.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Westside Tavern  Restaurant Reviews

• 12/30/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
    Pros: 'chicken mousse is the best I have ever has !! great portions!!'
    Cons: 'nothing, everything was perfect !!'
    Comments: 'A must place to eat food, ambience, service where all excellent '
  • 01/05/2015 - A diner from Mountain View, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
Westside Tavern is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Westside Tavern Pico, West Side Tavern Encino Ca, Westside Tavern, Westside Tavern Burger, Westside Tavern Dessert Menu, West Side Tavern, Westside Tavern Los Angeles, and Westsude Tavern Pico.