323-466-5125

1999 N Sycamore Ave ( )

Los Angeles, CA 90068

Neighborhoods: Hollywood Hills

View Hours
Description: Yamashiro is a Asian fusion, Romantic, and Asian restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Asian fusion, Romantic, Asian, Historic, Sushi, Seafood, Soups, Salads, American, and Californian
  • 293 dishes entered by diners at Yamashiro
  • 2 users want to eat at Yamashiro
  • 3 users love Yamashiro
Tips:
  • You have no choice--valet parking is required.
  • Reservations are a must, so be sure to ask for a table with the best view (table 8 is great for couples).

From OpenTable:

Perhaps the most romantic venue in Southern California, Yamashiro’s unique ambiance of historic tranquility and unparalleled views offer guests a place of serenity high above Los Angeles. Executive chef Brock Kleweno leads a dynamic culinary team in creating Asian-inspired Californian fare. From favorites including American wagyu and truffle hamachi to our newest menu items, such as pistachio salmon, guests experience Hollywood in all of its splendor.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Reviews for Yamashiro

• 9 reviews
  • First reviewed by kat

Editorial Review by Gayot »

A Must for Guys Wanting to Impress Their Date

This Japanese palace located in the Hollywood Hills sets the mood for a romantic get-a-way date in the busy congested city. Beautifully landscaped gardens surround the restaurant, complete with bridges, a glowing pagoda, and of course the city-lit view of Hollywood and Los Angeles. Also, for those following… Memoirs of a Geisha was filmed on-site, i believe as the Kyoto teahouse (?).

The restaurant is actually tucked away off Franklin Avenue, so please take caution. They provide (but charge) for valet service, and there are no short-cuts, being a residential area. The entrance is the view, and offers prime location to see the sunset.

My date reserved a seat in the Koi Room, facing the Garden Court. This is situated in the center of the restaurant and offers privacy, as well as extensive service. And of course, the service being professional, courteous, and attentive.

Mind you, this restaurant’s menu boasts asian fusion (one of the firsts to do so, might I say) with some Sushi choices. So, I rated it accordingly… if you want steak, go to a steakhouse. if you want fish, go to a seafood restaurant. But if you want to impress your date with the location, beautifully-executed-but-smaller-portion fares, and your know-how of this restaurant… Yamashiro is the place.

My raised glass goes to the Chef, Jason Park, whose CalAsian cuisine is the perfect blend of aesthetics and taste. Also to the Sushi Chef, Joe Cubangbang, as I hear the sushi displays are quite stunning.

We started off with Yamashiro Crispy Chicken (comparable to Grand Lux Caramel Chicken, upscale version of Panda Express Orange Chicken, and prettier version of Korean/Chinese Ggam Poong Ghee) but provided extra crunch w/ the rice-cracker coating. The accompanying cabbage slaw was of nothing spectacular.

For dinner, i ordered the Pan-Roasted Chicken Breast and my date the Wagyu “Kobe” Ribeye (since I couldn’t eat mushrooms, they substituted with another vegetable… can’t recall at this moment). The Chicken was a fancy terryaki dish and the Ribeye was their version of steak & potatoes. Surprisingly, it filled us up.

For Dessert, we chose the Trio of Sorbet. I remember it being Grapefruit, Passionfruit (or Guava), and something else. It was delish for us sorbet lovers. Actually, we were really looking forward to their crepe, but it was a special not offered that night.

For other dishes offered at Yamashiro, please see the “menu” for Price and Description, as I have copied it off their official menu. There are specials and seasonal items that may not be listed. Enjoy your dates!

Yamashiro

beautiful view, and that's it.

can we give 0 stars?

nothing we ate (about $175 worth of food) was good. my food was overcooked and dry. none of the flavors in each dish was cohesive with each other. it felt like asian food, trying to be fusion gone wrong.

service was horrible. we made reservations in advance for a quiet table overlooking the only thing this place is good for (view), and when we got there, they said they overbooked the table, and shoved us next to a child’s birthday party.

yes, if i could give 0’s i would.

Yamashiro

Yamashiro - One of L.A.'s Best!

Yamashiro is a rarity in L.A., because it’s a pre-1950’s building that has actually been appreciated and preserved — not torn down and rebuilt like the rest of the city. The unique, Japanese-style structure has quite a history (read about it on the Yamashiro restaurant website, and take a very cool virtual tour); originally a private mansion, then an exclusive club for the Hollywood elite, and a military academy before becoming the beautiful restaurant it is today.

The Hollywood hilltop views are amazing, and (unlike most “view” restaurants) the food is great, too! Every time I’ve been there, I’ve had nothing less than excellent service.

Despite the Japanese name and architecture, the menu is currently Cal-Asian. I prefer this menu to the all-Japanese menu they had years ago. I like to start out with the crab cakes and tempura shrimp & vegetable appetizers, followed by the filet mignon & lobster. Wonderful!

For all of the above reasons, Yamashiro is my first choice for treating my out-of-town guests to a one-of-a-kind, memorable dining experience. So far, everyone I’ve taken there has loved it.

Cracked Pepper Filet Mignon

So tender, I didn’t even need a knife to cut it. Beautifully prepared and wonderful flavor. I got it paired with the lobster tail.

Shrimp & Vegetable Tempura

Perfect appetizer for this Japanese-style setting. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Yamashiro

A very pricey place, good to bring a date...

A very pricey place, good to bring a date here, the ambiance is amazing, fine Japanese dining at it’s best, make sure to get a steak or sashimi salad, the sushi however is average with any fine dining restaurant.

Yamashiro

The sushi here is excellent. I tried the Hawaiian five-o ...

The sushi here is excellent. I tried the Hawaiian five-o and it was the best sushi I ever had. The fish I had was cooked just right. Cooked rare and full of flavor.
If you eat here try the Asian bbq baby back ribs.

Wow!

I’ve been to many a restaurant in West Hollywood and, let me tell you, there is some steep competition. But for Yamashiro, it makes no difference. Yamashiro is easily one of the best restaurants I have been to in town. Not only do they have a staff that is always attentive to your every need – and when I say this I do not joke. Literally, the instant I finished a beverage, I found it being filled once more; when I was done with a plate, it was cleared from the table in an instant- but the ambiance is incredible. It is the perfect balance between comfort and class. When you walk in you feel you have stepped into something special, but it is in no way stuffy or uptight. It is upscale without the rigidness that usually comes with it. That balance is a difficult trait to accomplish, but if it’s done anywhere it’s done here.

As for the food…where do I begin? It doesn’t matter if you’re ordering an appetizer, an entree, or a beverage, anything is a safe bet and will blow you away—that is if the portion size doesn’t serve as a ballast in your belly. That will keep you digesting in your chair for at least a good hour. Truly, though, since my first visit I have been there five times now and the quality is consistent and unconditional. My personal favorites are their meats, specifically the fillet mignon. They’ve got a savor and tenderness to them that is unparalleled.

If you’re looking for a good experience, folks, go here. You can’t lose.

And make sure you order dessert!

Cracked Pepper Filet Mignon

Just fantastic!

Tender, consistent, and flavorful beyond belief!

September 6, 2012

www.chic-goods.us

August 11, 2012

Great view and wonderful ambience by night. Food is nice, but not the best for the price, however deserts are the best.

July 18, 2012

Cool place to hangout...

Yamashiro is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Yamashiro Images, Yamashiro Hollywood Menu, Sushi Place On Hill Top Los Angeles, Yamashiro Restaurant Menu, Yamashiro Hollywood, Yamashiro, High End Japanese Restaurant Hollywood Hills, and Yamashiro Restaurant Hollywood Hills.

Loves Yamashiro (3)

Cuvawezv4r3jboaby-gaa8
troJane

LaMarrCollins

kelliet

0 useful

Wants to Try Yamashiro (2)

Agy-38grer27c6abblkses