118 Courthouse Sq
Oxford, MS 38655-4008

Ajax Diner

Cuisine: Southern, Catering, Lunch

Ajax Diner is a Southern, Catering, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

Overall
Pros
"Good food and great atmosphere in the best football town in the sec."
"Soul food large portions"
"absolute favorite !! "
Cons
"Fried okra not great"
  • 2/02/2021

A Southern chowhound from US tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 12/30/2020

A diner from Oxford, MS tried it.

• 12/21/2020

A Southern chowhound from Hattiesburg, MS tried it.

• 7/23/2020

A dining patron from Madison, MS tried it.

• 7/20/2020

A Southern food lover from Booneville, MS tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 4/22/2017

A diner from Oxford, MS tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 10/09/2016

A Southern food lover from Hendersonville, TN tried it.

• 3/29/2016

A Southern food lover from Smithville, TN tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Good food and great atmosphere in the best football town in the sec.
  • 2/19/2016

A Southern chowhound from University, MS tried it, didn't like it, and rated it . They didn't like the food, didn't like the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 11/11/2014

A dining patron from Atlanta, GA tried it and liked it. They liked the food.

zaranie photo

zaranie

Myrtle Beach, SC

The Best Around

In the 6 years I lived in Oxford, I visited Ajax more times than I can remember…and I can not remember ever getting a bad dish. Everything I have tried there is great.

The food is southern and the prices are very reasonable. I highly recommend this place to anyone.

Country Fried Steak

Perfectly seasoned and tender. Excellent.

mindelei photo

mindelei

Wichita, KS

Good. The best soul food in Mississippi? I hope not.

The atmosphere is definitely relaxed: black & white checkerboard table cloths, a variety of Mississippi Delta Folk Art adorns the walls, metal roofing on one side and mirrored windows on the other set the ambiance. Who could forget the thousands of toothpicks patrons have flung into the ceiling tiles at a variety of angles? There must be a story hiding somewhere. For now, the reason remains unknown.

My husband and I stopped in for lunch today. We have only recently moved to the area and had heard a lot of rave reviews about the food. Even better, we thought, would be the affordability. Great food is only better when it’s also light on the pocketbook (at least for those of us who remain conscious of the budgets we must keep). I was hoping to pay about $6-$7 per plate, rather than the nearly $10 price. However, if I wanted to stay in my planned budget, I could have had a veggie plate instead.

So, what about the food, you ask?

I had the meatloaf with a side of cornbread dressing, cucumbers & onions, and jalapeno cornbread. Word of advice: don’t get cornbread dressing and expect to eat the piece of jalapeno cornbread too. That’s just too much cornbread by any standard (which lead me to wish I’d had the option of ordering a biscuit instead). The piece of cornbread seemed a bit dry to me and crumbled easily. I couldn’t even pick it up – had to use a fork. The cucumbers & onions were not quite what I had expected. The cucumbers were on the soft side and the purple from the onions had stained everything pink. Although the flavor and bite to the onions were spectacular, I was surprised by the intensity of the tang in the vinegar. The meatloaf wasn’t bad. Truthfully it was fairly good, but just a bit too herb-y for my palate (lots of thyme and sage in the mix). Not to mention that the chunk of cheese could have been mixed in a bit better. Like the cornbread, the meatloaf fell a part.

Don’t get me wrong. The food isn’t bad. It’s just not “the best soul food in Mississippi” as indicated by Mississippi magazine a few years back.

Meat Loaf

Highend southern cookin'. The fried catfish,...

Highend southern cookin’. The fried catfish, chicken fried steak, sweet potato casserole, and pie was freakin’ awesome. The southern hospitality was terrific. Luv’d it!

3/06/2021

A diner from Mathiston, MS tried Sizzler.

2/02/2021

A Southern food lover from US tried Ajax Diner, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

1/24/2021

A dining patron from Oxford, MS tried Panera Bread, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

1/02/2021

A Sushi chowhound from Fort Lauderdale, FL tried Two Stick.

12/30/2020

A Southern food lover from Oxford, MS tried Ajax Diner.

12/21/2020

A dining patron from Hattiesburg, MS tried Ajax Diner.

7/23/2020

A diner from Madison, MS tried Ajax Diner.

7/20/2020

A Southern food lover from Booneville, MS tried Ajax Diner, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

5/24/2020

A diner from Meadville, MS tried Muddy Water Grill.

5/31/2019

A dining patron from Mount Washington, KY tried Abbeville Catfish and Steaks, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
froglegs peel em and eat em shrimp(already peeled) CATFISH the pictures on walls
Cons
air conditioner needed a little help
Southern Catering Dinner

Ajax Diner  Restaurant Reviews

Ajax Diner is located near the cities of University.
People found this by searching for: Ajax Oxford Ms Printable Menu, Ajax Oxford Ms Menu, Ajax Diner Oxford, Ajax Oxford Ms, Ajax Diner Menu Oxford Ms, Ajax Diner Oxford Ms Menu, Ajax Menu Oxford Ms, Dining Oxford Ms, and Ajax Diner Menu.