AKASHA

Neighborhoods: Downtown
Cuisine: Contemporary American, Local, Cocktails

AKASHA is a Contemporary American, Local, and Cocktails restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped less than 15%.

mh2mh photo

mh2mh

best turkey burger

That was one damn good turkey burger. So good I couldn’t stop thinking about it and must write right now.

Finally made it over there today, for lunch. “Spiked Turkey Burger”: organic turkey mixed with green olives, jalapeno, red (bell) peppers. Tomato, onion, house made pickles, organic cheddar or swiss. $14.

It was good.

Coleslaw was good too. My friend had the regular burger, and proclaimed it was excellent, w/ the fries. $16. We eyeballed the fries with Himalayan salt under the Sides, and asked if that’s what comes with the burger. Waiter said yes. But I don’t believe him, the side of fries tasted like there was no seasoning at all. Some of the fries were overcooked.

If they could make such a memorable turkey burger, I want to try their other dishes. Will be going back for sure.
And big kudos for focus on local, organic ingredients. Slow food, that’s the answer.

naia photo

naia

Try the Turkey Burger

Known for using local and organic ingredients, Akasha is a newer restaurant on the Culver City scene. The menu is varied, and the wines are good. The specials are usually pretty good. Some wines and dishes are a bit overpriced and you can easily spend $50 or more per person.

On the other hand, with a little planning and not indulging in drinks, you can get an excellent meal here for under $20 since a number of items are good values. The turkey burger, for example, is exquisite and runs $14. The fresh turkey, the spices integrated into the meat, and the condiments all take their turn unfolding on your tongue as you eat it.

Also wonderful are the Punjabi Mung Beans and Rice (with roasted vegetables, flatbread, local greans, chutney and raita); the Red Quinoa (with market vegetables and chicken or tofu) is cooked just the right amount to offer a great texture and flavor. Vegetarians will enjoy the Vegetarian Plate (with macadamia nut cheese, eggplant, tomato, spinach, roasted pepper, market vegetables, cauliflower puree, and balsamic reduction).

The seasonal soup and lamb sliders are flavorful and fun. The scallops and flatiron steak are overpriced.

tulips500 photo

tulips500

Pleasantly Suprised

I had read the mixed reviews about Akasha, but came for the first time for dinner on a weekday and was pleasantly surprised. Yes, some of the menu items are overpriced and the seats are not the most comfortable, but the couple dishes I ordered were delicious and our server was professional and attentive.

The interior is modern and chic, and parking isn’t too terrible with the parking structure just down the street. There’s also metered street parking if you’re lucky enough to find one.

Bali Seafood Curry - scallops, shrimp, calamari, mussels, king salmon, baby spinach, cilantro, black

Flavorful and rich, but not so much to leave you feeling heavy, plenty of seafood, soaking a bed of rice. Really enjoyed this dish. I couldn’t stop myself from finishing it despite feeling full.

Spanish Octopus - fingerling potato, pasilla chile, charred corn roasted chile aioli, smoked paprika

Impressive octopus arm, good serving size to split between 2, with a bit of kick. Delicious.

Housemade Ice Creams & Sorbets

How can you go wrong with ice cream? Ordered the choice of 3, and it came out neatly scooped into little jars separately. We tried one of the dairy free options (peanut butter) and it was delicious, albeit a little bit sour.

CleverGrrl photo

CleverGrrl

Wildly inconsistent

Akasha is the very definition of “wildly inconsistent.”

I first visited Akasha on a Saturday night, on a first date. The place was packed with stylish people (although the clientele skewed toward the medicare set), the service was good, and the appetizer and entree – a charcuterie plate, and skate wing with cauliflower puree – were tasty, if not mind-blowingly unique. I left looking forward to my next visit.

Fast forward to last night: A Sunday, during the DineLA promotion. The place was nearly empty even at 8 pm, a prime dining hour. Although we arrived for our reservation on time, and the place was a ghost town, we still had to wait ten minutes to be seated. Huh?

First sign of bumpiness to come: The DineLA menu had a silly typo (the “Shiitake, Roasted Squash and Basil – Caramelized Onion, Eggplant, Tomato and Truffle Sea Salt” was missing the word “pizza” – well, duh!). Then, we’re told that the chocolate hemp gelato isn’t available that night, and will be replaced by a salted chocolate tart. Bummer. I asked the waiter whether there was a substitute gelato, and the waiter told me he’d see what he could do.

The waiter described the “daily soup” on the menu as a butternut squash soup with sage….. mmm! Two out of the three of us ordered it as one of the three appetizer options. Before the soup course, the waiter comes by to give me and one of my companions a soup spoon. He sets mine down, and I see a big chunk of food on it. My companion moves it to the unoccupied fourth placemat so the waiter will replace it…. but when the waiter comes by, instead of wondering what’s wrong with the spoon, he absentmindedly places it next to my plate!

Next, to our bewilderment, a guy emerged from the kitchen with two bowls full of chopped-up root vegetable soup in a clear broth…. definitely not the butternut squash soup we’d ordered. As the guy set the bowls down, we asked him what was going on. Our waiter came over and talked with the dude – in fact, they stood near our table arguing quietly about it – until the waiter pulled away and explained that there wasn’t any butternut squash soup. There never had been. Um….. .okay……??

The soup was bland. Nothing much else to say about it, other than the fact that the vegetables were cut into impressively even little cubes.

The entrees arrived next. My two companions had the Niman Flat Iron Steak with Organic Olive Oil Crushed Potatoes, Swiss Chard, Braised Trumpet Mushrooms, Red Wine Essence. They were perfectly fine, although they reported that the red wine essence was actually some sort of fruit puree.

I had the Big Tree Farms Wild Pepper Scallops with Forbidden Black Rice Risotto, Edamame Puree, and Baby Bok Choy. The scallops, as many have reported, were a little too salty. The black rice was just that – pretty boring cooked black rice. It wasn’t even close to a real risotto (totally different texture/ consistency). And the edamame puree, despite sounding intriguing in theory, tasted so bland that I didn’t realize what vegetable it was.

Weirdly, our waiter then came out and advised me that, in fact, there was chocolate hemp ice cream (big “huh” – then why had he advised me that there wasn’t any?) I was excited, until I tried it and was bored totally stiff.

Our waiter practically ignored us toward the end of the meal, despite the place being nearly empty at that point. I wasn’t sorry to leave the place behind.

With the variety of restaurants on this same city block that are rated well, I don’t know why you’d bother going to Akasha.

A little too salty. The black rice was just that – pretty boring cooked black rice. It wasn’t even close to a real risotto (totally different texture/ consistency). And the edamame puree, despite sounding intriguing in theory, tasted so bland that I didn’t realize what vegetable it was.

June 30, 2015

The food at Akasha is amazing. This is good place for special occassions. It's pricey but definitely worth it. The drinks are just as good as the food. There are amazing cocktails (I enjoyed the jalape?o martini) and a huge selection…
June 5, 2013

Nice space, do not get the poke. It looked like a big mound of pink mush surrounded by some greens.
April 28, 2012

not the place it used to be...

I've been to this place few times for happy hour and I liked most of the appetizers, except for the chicken wings, which were dry and more the size of frogs' legs. I always wanted to experience some of their full menu items, especially…

Contemporary American OpenTable Reservations
Tips
  • Artisan boutique wines from small estates form a medium-sized wine list that focuses on organic and biodynamic producers. Corkage is $25. House cocktails feature fresh juices and organic spirits like Juniper organic gin and small batch tequila.
  • For those without reservations, the long and lively bar--which overlooks the scene--offers 30 wines by the glass ($9 to $18), and serves the full menu. The patio seating on Culver is lovely for al fresco dining and preening, especially in nice weather.
  • The smaller side of the restaurant houses the bakery counter and satiny teak communal tables, where you can get fair trade coffee and organic teas along with a wide array of organic baked goods including lemon bars, apple tart, carrot cake and assorted cupcakes.
Mon-Fri 07:00AM - 05:30PM (Bakery)
Sat 09:00AM - 05:30PM (Bakery)
Fri-Sat 11:30AM - 11:00PM (Bar)
Mon-Thu 11:30AM - 11:00PM (Bar)
Mon-Sat 05:30PM - 11:00PM (Dinner)
Mon-Fri 11:30AM - 02:30PM (Lunch)

AKASHA  Restaurant Reviews

• 2/08/2015 A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.

AKASHA is located near the cities of Ladera Heights, Rancho Park, Mar Vista, Century City, and Little Ethiopia.
People found this by searching for: Akasha Culver City, Akasha In Downtown, Akasha Menu Culver City, Akasha Restaurant Menu, Pt. Bening Big Tree Farms Clients, Akasha Culver City Menu, and Akasha And Culver City And Menu.