6587 Avenue Somerled
Montreal Metro Area, QC H4V 1T1

Anancy

(Between Prince of Wales Ave and Cumberland Ave)

Neighborhoods: Cote-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grace
Cuisine: Jamaican, Caribbean

Anancy is a Jamaican and Caribbean restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

CheapEthnicEatz photo

CheapEthnicEatz

Montréal, QC

Yummy Jamaican

So our last outing was at a Jamaican restaurant called Anancy. I have been to several Jamaican restaurants and I must say this one stands out. Firstly with its decoration…it has some. It is very well decorated and very homey in feeling too.

Second, I actually visited this restaurant the week before with a smaller group of friends and had already met and chatted with Vashti, the restaurants manager. ..so I knew what to expect. It is a very homey place with regular customers and you are treated like family. Vashti is a very interesting woman: she is very expressive with her emotions. if you say something she does not like it shows BUT 2 seconds later she will laugh with you as well. She is a woman of character but a lovely and fun person too. So its family in the sense that you don’t get just the roses. I like that.

And Thirdly, its a BYOB! Love those. We were a large group, 29, for this place and the seating was a bit awkward. We had 1 long table and 4 booths like in old dinners. This sort of broke up the community feeling but in the end I think the booths had a lot of fun too in their little groups.

Now it’s not a big place and we ordered A la carte. So this means it was a looooooooonnnnnnnngggggg wait till we got our main meal…like 2h30m wait. I expect a wait with a large group but that was a lot. I started to panic inside of me because people were rightly complaining. I was so scared at the ratings this event would get on Meetup. At least we had wine! But finally the food did arrive. And people LOVED it. I had several people tell me it was well worth the wait in the end. And I was happy to see in the ratings people wrote no one complained about it. Let me note when I went with a smaller group the week before we did not have to wait.

I had an appetizer of peppered shrimp. And peppered they were, OMG. delish but pepper spicy like I have never tasted. My main dish was the traditional Jamaican dish of ackee and saltfish. I had this once before at another restaurant and wanted to compare. I really have to say the one at Anancy was so much better I can’t even compare. An excellent choice! The week before I had the jerk pork which was fabulous as well. By the time we left I had many people saying this was now one of their fave new spots.

Another point I want to mention, a first, Vashti called me the next day to apologize for the delay and to see how we liked it. Really no restauranteur ever did that before. I was impressed. And she specifically told me to be 100% honest in my blog and to give her a copy when it was done so the restaurant could improve accordingly. I was doubly impressed. Thank you Vashti for the great service you gave me.

I will definitely go back and highly recommend it.

ackee and saltfish

Jennifer2 photo

Jennifer2

Longueuil, QC

A great Jamaican eatery

I have been to Jamaica several times on business and vacation but whenever i return home to Montreal and get the urge to taste Jamaican cuisine I could never find a place where me and my friends felt comfortable .

Well my search is over I have found my tropical paradise here in Montreal ; it is very tastefully decorated , has a great staff providing excellent service and the food is amazing and guess what you can bring your own wine or beer so it is also very economical for an evening out .

Encoresara photo

Encoresara

Montréal, QC

Its No Problem Mon!

Small, friendly, tasty! This petite resto in a busy area of NDG was Jamaican sophisticate. Decor was tasteful and warm. Spots were not a problem. We were a huge group which quite overwhelmed the restaurant. They had a hard time organizing orders and delivering timely. Once this was overcome though we were treated to a wonderful meal. Rich and spicy dishes, authentic flavors, old favorites. This restaurant was a genuine taste of the caribbean in a tight package.

The best part of this restaurant hands down was the staff, owners, chef, wait staff… all of them were amazing, warm and friendly. I would go back again if for no other reason than to be in their uplifting company.

Yummy coconut water. Super strong ginger beer.

Jerk Pork

Whoo, Spicy! They dont spare the flavor on this dish. Really tasty though.

Sweet Potato Fries

A little bland by themselves but the chutney they came with was excellent.

7/13/2019

A dining patron from Gatineau, QC tried Kam Shing Chinese Restaurant in Cote-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grace and liked it. They liked the food and liked the service.

6/25/2019

A diner from Gretna, LA tried Riverview Restaurant Pizzeria in Verdun.

5/30/2019

A diner from Victoria, BC tried Chao Phraya in Le Plateau-Mont-Royal.

5/25/2019

A diner from Terrebonne, QC tried Restaurant Lo Stivale D'Oro in Ville-Marie.

5/23/2019

A food lover from Montréal, QC tried St. Pius X Culinary Institute in Ahuntsic-Cartierville and liked it. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

5/13/2019

A chowhound from Trois-rivières, QC tried Restaurant Kim Foo in Peter-McGill.

4/09/2019

An Italian chowhound from Lasalle, QC tried Restaurant Trattoria Trestevere in Peter-McGill.

2/28/2019

A dining patron from Toronto, ON tried Restaurant El Parador in Cote-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grace, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

2/08/2019

A food lover from CA tried Pendeli's Pizza in Hampstead.

12/31/2018

A dining patron from South Weymouth, MA tried China Plaza Restaurant.

Jamaican Caribbean NDG

Anancy   Restaurant Reviews

Anancy is located near the cities of St Colomban and Saint Colomban.
People found this by searching for: Tropical Paradise Restaurant Montreal, Anancy Restaurant Ndg, Laurier Est Montreal Jamaican Restaurants, Anancy Restaurant Reviews, Anancy Restaurant, Tropical Paradise Montreal Delivery, Anancy Montreal, and Anancy Ndg.