1229 1st Ave
New York, NY 10021

Aprovecho

Neighborhoods: Upper East Side
Cuisine: Mexican, Spanish, Latin American

Aprovecho is a Mexican, Spanish, and Latin American restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

3goldens photo

3goldens

New York, NY

THE WORST MEXICAN I HAVE EVER HAD!

Don’t order from these guys unless you like to get a small bag of ships after paying 8 bucks for guacamole, and then have a dry chimichanga because they don’t send you any salsa or sour cream, which by the way is advertised on their menu as coming with all orders.

For the pleasure of this you pay close to thirty bucks!

If you DARE call to complain and get a peanut brained idiot named Jordan, he’ll tell you basically, have a nice meal, we got your money and we don’t care if you ever come back!

The food is mediocre at best for the price and it’s really too bad because there are not a lot of Mexican places in the upper east side. If these morons had their act together they would do a great business and I would be coming back all the time. As it stands, I will never order from them again and if you do, well, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

nyjp212 photo

nyjp212

Worst Mexican Food

Burrito de Picadillo (I am latino to give me more credibility) tasted like dog food. Easily the most disgusting food I have eaten in a long long time. The rice tasted like Uncle Ben’s (no offense to UB and par-boiled rice lovers everywhere) – but it had a certain texture and flavor that 5-minute rice usually has. One can live with bad rice if the meat makes up the difference with some flavor. Since I opened my burrito to avoid the rice, I ate the picadillo aka ground beef by itself and nearly gagged. The texture was like baby poop only slimier and tasted like NOTHING, nada, so bizarre. I had to call them back and tell them to come pick up the delivery and give me my money back. In Spanish “aprovechar” means to enjoy, but it also means to take advantage of… mmm, interesting coincidence, since this restaurant is taking advantage of unsuspecting customers who may not instantly recognize traditional latin cuisine off the bat. But what they are doing is akin to highway robbery. To be fair, the woman on the phone who took my order and took my complaint was nice. I lost my appetite though and wasted my time. They did refund me, however. I won’t even give them a second chance though.

ground beef burrito

INEDIBLE.

MBNY photo

MBNY

New York, NY

This place was truly amazingly AWFUL.

I understand the gringo tex mex thing and that doesn’t bother me…I like MX from Blockheads to Rosa Mexicano – and don’t expect much – but this meal was so bad that it has left me kind of dazed and confused.

I ordered Shrimp Fajita and Caesar salad. (ok I shouldn’t have ordered a Caesar at a MX but just had a craving, how far wrong can it go, right?)

Well the fajita arrived, shrimp peppers and boiled tomatoes on a tortilla – The look immediately said this was WRONG. No seasoning. None. No Spices, No Salt, No nothing at all. Not even a whiff! Not even on the peppers or the Boiled Tomatoes. But the most mystifying thing about it all was that NONE of these ingredients had ever seen a grill. The shrimp were obviously boiled previously, and then reheated in the MICROWAVE with the peppers and tomatoes and then dumped on a tortilla. Here you go, enjoy!! I did ask whether I could have some cheese for it, thought it would add something, and the response was…" that would be a taco…" – so no cheese for me.
Ok the fajita aside….the “Caesar salad” arrived.
it was a plate of Romaine with sliced tomatoes. No dressing. so I asked for the dressing. they said that is how it comes. the dressing is Italian. Oh! having not realized there was a dressing on it – “Ok” – so I tasted and yes in fact they had sprinkled on some Red Wine Vinegar.

Now, Where to start?
1 – vinegar doesn’t make an Italian Dressing. Vinaigrette I could have lived with, but “Italian” denotes a certain dressing in my head – you know the Kraft Variety, glutenous etc….and Red Wine Vinegar wasn’t it.
2 – I asked for a creamy dressing (ANY Creamy dressing) to be brought on the side. – and they said “:they don’t have. They only have Italian”…Yup, losing battle here…..so I again didn’t bother to point out that just plain vinegar (with no oil) didn’t really constitute Italian Dressing.
3 – the Manager came over and I said something about the fact that I didn’t think this was a Caesar Salad. His response was…“this is our version of a Caesar Salad”…..again still losing the battle….sigh….

Anyway, here is where I start feeling a little CRAZY! I kind of think that what makes a Caesar Salad is the Dressing. Now it doesn’t need to be creamy, it could be house made, and just shaken….but it does require certain ingredients….oil, eggs, anchovy paste (optional) maybe some salt if omitting the anchovies, or some mustard? even black pepper?….But I am pretty sure that Red Wine Vinegar is not really one of the major components.
In my head this is like bringing me a hamburger patty when I ordered steak and saying “this is our version of steak” – I mean yes, you got the Beef part right (just like this restaurant got the Romaine part right) – but the ESSENTIAL NON NEGOTIABLE ESSENCE of a steak (at least to me) is that the meat hasn’t been GROUND….if you had meant a hamburger then write “Hamburger” on the menu!

I would understand if I were in a different country to get a salad like this, and probably would have eaten it…but here in NYC on the UES – why would you put it on the menu? It would have made more sense to call it a garden salad w/ vinegar – or add olives and call it Greek? Just don’t call it a Rose if its a Dandelion….

I know that this review has me sounding just like I am an overly picky person. I don’t feel that I am. I just feel like this was so horribly un-flavorful and just wrong….that it was almost WEIRD.

One thought (and possible explanation) that I did have was…This restaurant had the air of a place that is closing down, and that they are slowing running down their ingredients, (obviously have run out of oil, dressing and seasonings….) and that they are just waiting for the rest of the stuff to run out before they close their doors. I have never seen much business in there…never more than a handful of people…and won’t be surprised when I walk by and see it closed for good.

I don’t know…go to blockheads. Its Loud, Busy, have to wait for a table usually, and the menu isn’t as varied….but its better cheapola tex mex than Aprovecho – and truthfully I think anywhere else would be too. Or check it out, if you are intigued by this review to witness the strageness for yourself.

Clinton St Baking Co & Rest

Pizza in Upper East Side

Bagel Works

Deli in Upper East Side

2/15/2019

A dining patron from Brooklyn, NY tried Supreme Macaroni Co. (CLOSED) in Hell's Kitchen.

2/14/2019

An American chowhound from Bayonne, NJ tried Red Tulip in Upper East Side.

2/14/2019

A dining patron from Ashburn, VA tried Devin's Fish & Chips in Harlem.

2/14/2019

Margaretadamell tried Starbucks Coffee in Williamsburg.

2/14/2019

A diner from New York, NY tried Jacob's Pickles in Upper West Side, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

2/13/2019

An American food lover from MO tried Dresner's Restaurant in Upper East Side.

2/12/2019

A diner from New York, NY tried Pee Dee Steak II in Harlem, didn't like it, and rated it . They didn't like the food, didn't like the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
It's nasty in that place and 2 of the staff was sick and was allowed to work and serve food
2/10/2019

A French chowhound from US tried Pierre Au Tunnel in Theater District - Times Square, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

2/10/2019

A food lover from Naples, FL tried Zinno's Restaurant in West Village.

2/10/2019

A dining patron from New York, NY tried Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Cafeteria, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Mexican Dinner Spanish

Aprovecho  Restaurant Reviews

Aprovecho is located near the cities of Tribeca, Peck Slip, Canal Street, Trinity, and Financial District.
People found this by searching for: Aprovecho, Nyc, Aprovecho Ny Facebook, Aprovecho Nyc Menu, Aprovecho Nyc, Aprovecho Mexican Restaurant, Aprovecho Menu, and Aprovecho Restaurant Nyc.