4569 N Elston Ave
Chicago, IL 60630

AY AY Picante: Peruvian Cuisine

Neighborhoods: Albany Park
Cuisine: Seafood, Catering, Lunch

AY AY Picante: Peruvian Cuisine is a Seafood, Catering, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

• 1/11/2015

A Seafood chowhound from Chicago, IL tried it.

chicagonow photo

chicagonow

A Taste of South America

If you like seafood, this is the place. Large plates, fresh, and at a good price. The area is a little out of the way, but it is worth it! A Peruvian Ceviche is like no other. It is made with seafood, limejuice Aji chile, onions, corn, and potatoes. It is served on a plate not a glass like you would see at an other restaurants. It can easily be a meal. The is a cozy romantic place that makes you feel that you are in South America.

Ceviche Mixto

the way ceviche is meant to be, big, fresh, full of flavor.

LOUIS photo

LOUIS

Chicago, CA

Best Peruvian Food in chicago

If you are a Peruvian you will always try to find a good Peruvian Restaurant around your town. Peruvian Food has flavors and aromas that maintain us in contact with our Peruvian roots, with our happier memories. Ay Ay Picante Peruvian Cuisine is the home i have in Chicago, their food is by far the best i had (comparing to other [peruvian restaurants)places, try their Seco de codero (lamb stew) or my favorite Ceviche mixto(seafood salad), the anticuchos (beef skewers), Cocktail de Camarones,or the traditional papa ala Huiancaina (steam potatoes with yellow cream sauce, prices?? you will be satisfied, portions are big for the price, service is good, atmosphere is great, it takes me back to my land. This place is BYOB… with no extra charge… I am happy to have found this place.
Authentic Cuisine!
Peruvian Chefs!!
Best Peruvian Restaurant of 2008!!
ayaypicante.com

Cocktail De Camarones

Shrimp coctail, this is a must to have, jumbo pieces of shrimp topped with a gulf sauce (sweet creamy), this comes in a martini glass decorated with fresh avocado, lettuce, is a work of art, and great meal.

SECO DE cordero / Lamb stew

big chuck of lamb! the sauce that comes with this dish is amazing, juice herbs cooked with carrots, peas, it comes with rice and peruvian bean, must try this beans,…. great flavor.

Doreen5 photo

Doreen5

Less than Impressed

Went to Ay Ay Picante on N. Elston Ave. recently w/an out-of -town guest expecting an interesting evening, as we had never tried Peruvian food. This store front restaurant seemed to be having a bad evening. The line was out the door at 8:00 p.m. on Sat. night, but there was no one at the door showing people where to sit. The place was crowded & noisy, but the chaos seemed out of control, w/waiters running around, empty tables unset, but no one in charge. The owner came in, looked around & tried to bring some order, but wasn’t that successful. We finally sat down & a waiter gave us our menus as an after thought. He didn’t bother to explain anything on the menu. Water, a small container of green sauce & warm rolls w/butter were brought quickly. The bread was good. Our meals didn’t arrive until 8:50 pm., which considering it’s a small storefront restaurant, is excessive. The atmosphere inside is dark, hot, not charming, and loud music is blasting over the speakers, making the atmosphere very unpleasant. I had a filet w/mashed potatoes & vegetables. The filet was decent, nothing special. I wasn’t asked how I wanted the meat cooked -- it just came medium rare The potatoes were watery & the broccoli/carrot combo was almost raw… My companion had the salmon with a sauce on it & proclaimed it good. There is no liquor, so you have to byob. Large groups of people around us seemed to be getting better service. Because of the chaos & noise, I couldn’t wait to get out of there. I won’t be going back, nor would I recommend it to anyone else unless you like ear splitting noise & slow service. I can’t understand the glowing reviews on their website. There is a step up to get into the place, so it’s not wheelchair accessible. I don’t think the waiters are mean — just unable to deal with the crush of people.

Sabi photo

Sabi

Chicago, IL

I got food poison las sunday

My friends and I went for the first time to this place last Sunday night. I was with my 2 years old daughter and still 31 weeks pregnant and I did order ’Churrasco a la parrila" and as soon as I ate that i start feel weird already. When I back home, I had serious vomiting and all night long was a nightmare for me. My daughter also had vomitning and one of my friend that also ate their meat got sick. I brought a left over from my dish to my husband and guess what…he is 2 days in a row on a bed, having diarrhea and stomach crampings. I really hope it didnt happen with anybody else, because isnt being fun. Be carefull where you go to eat.

Churrasco A La Parrilla

Never back to this place again and I dont recommend.

DrRM photo

DrRM

Chicago, IL

not the best in the city

I am a big fan of peruvian food and I gotta say this is not the best in the city….I have to agree with the reviewer who described their sceo as uninteresting stew….I’m also not a big fan of their waitstaff, although they are quite friendly, they seem a bit distracted, and when we went the place was definitely not that busy! They do offer humitas, which many of the other peruvian restaurants don’t, but not good enough to make the trip all the way over there. We were told it was an intimate setting, and I have to say that although the ighting is dim and romantic, it feels more family friendly than a date place.

Humita Salada

alltoastnojelly photo

alltoastnojelly

Chicago, IL

Do not go to aye aye picante

I have eaten almost every kind of food there is to eat, so I like to think I know crap when I see it. I do not understand why this place remains open, I thought perhaps I just ordered the worst things on the menu but my friends didn’t like their food either, I ordered the seco de carne, and we shared the fried calamari with peruvian spices. To start, we were brought little pieces of bread with a homade salse of some sort. The salsa was amazing, a bit creamy and different, so far so good. The calamari arrives, fried calamari which is ok with no noticable spices of any sort, garnished with cold canned corn, yuk. My entree arrives, i cannot remember the description on the menu which made my mouth water however what i got was tough and grainy, low quality pot roast simmered in tomato sauce w some veggies, not the tender marinated slices of beef and so on. I did see a steak go to another table that looked okay but I didn’t go ethnic to eat steak. The service was fantastic and the place is nice looking inside, too bad the food sucks.

Seco De Carne

I would of gave it no stars if I could. Cheap pot roast, don’t believe the menu.

Seafood Peruvian Cuisine Parking

AY AY Picante: Peruvian Cuisine  Restaurant Reviews

AY AY Picante: Peruvian Cuisine is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: Aye Aye Picante, Ay Ay Picante Menu, Picante Chicago, Aye! Aye! Picante, Ay Ay Picante, Hay Hay Hay Picante, Aye Aye Picante Chicago, and Ay Ay Picante Chicago.