128 Oberlin Avenue
Claremont, CA 91711

Back Abbey

Cuisine: Hamburgers, Beer, Gastro Pub

Back Abbey is a Hamburgers, Beer, and Gastro Pub restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

girlmostlikely photo

girlmostlikely

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Go for the beer, stay for the food...

…or is it go for the food and stay for the beer? It’s just a win-win here, everything is just really good. It’s located in the newer part of the Claremont Village, behind the Laemmle theatre and it’s a bit small inside but there is outdoor seating which is quite nice when the weather is tolerable.

Even if you have to stare down someone for a seat, it’s worth the wait! The food is SO GOOD. All of the burgers are 6 oz dry aged, cooked to medium rare unless you state otherwise and served on a yummy brioche bun that adds a slightly sweet complement to the wonderful flavors you’ll experience from each of the different burgers. The Back Abbey Burger, with its “aged Gouda, mustard aioli, caramelized onion, Niman Ranch bacon, and micro greens” is a favorite of my friends and it appears to be the favorite of the pub goers here as well. And you have to order the Pommes Frites, which are twice fried potato fries and the best I’ve had. The half order is PLENTY for two people and the full order is a good size for parties of three or four. They come with three dipping sauces: horseradish chive sauce, roumelade and ketchup. The roumelade has a lovely, and little known, accent of chervil and it is the best of the three… the horseradish sauce is pretty mild but good and most people won’t waste these fries in the ketchup.

Their beer list is extensive, mostly Belgian, many of which are on tap. My fiance’s favorites have been the Triple Karmelite, Blanche de Bruxelles, and the Chimays. Not being a beer drinker much myself, I really liked the St. Louis Fremboise, it’s a raspberry beer and it really tastes like raspberry! It pours a pinkish/magenta (pretty!) and it’s on tap! I also love that all the beers come in their own brand name glasses, which are all different shapes and sizes and all have their unique brand logo (so you’ll never forget what you’re drinking!!). They also offer French, British, Dutch, German and Canadian selections.

It’s hard to get a table during peak hours, so get there early or plan to wait. The service can be slow, but it’s always friendly and the chef(s) are always inventive and creative— make sure to check out the “Seasonal Burger” and the “Daily Soup”, I’ve tried both and they’ve not disappointed.

Grilled Vegetable Burger

Grilled portabello mushroom, zucchini, red bell peppers and eggplant layered with feta cheese and herbed verde, served on a brioche bun….do I need to say more? I’d give up meat for this. I’ve had all of their burgers, because I do eat meat but I will take this burger over any of them any day, it’s that good.

RoBear photo

RoBear

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Gastropub Goodness

This is one of the best food finds in Claremont. I’ve been several times with my fiance and my friends and we’ve had the best food and beer each time. I will say this though, it is small so large groups may need to plan accordingly.

I’ve had the Back Abbey Burger, the Seasonal Burger (this month is a burger that has a really fresh taste of heirloom tomatoes, and a nice verde (not hot) sauce) and the Vegatable Burger (grilled portobello mushroom with feta)— all were excellent, all served on a brioche bun and the fries are excellent.

I could go on and on about the beers, there are many of them, so if you’re into Euro beers (most are Belgian) you’re in for a treat. Try the Chimay at least once.

Service can be slow, but it’s all worth the wait. The crowd, depending on the time of day, ranges from young professional to indie hipster. It’s all very comfortable for any crowd really.

The Back Abbey Burger

All burgers are dry-age grind, 6oz and served with a fresh green salad, The Back Abbey has aged Gouda, mustard aioli, caramelized onion, Niman Ranch bacon, and micro greens served on a Brioche bun. It’s a little pricey for a burger at $13, but really worth it. The flavor combination of the sweet and savory was really unique and tasty. The price reminds me of those Carl’s Jr. commercials, but there is absolutely NO comparison, these burgers are in a class all their own.

Hamburgers Beer Gastro Pub

Back Abbey  Restaurant Reviews

Back Abbey is located near the cities of Montclair, La Verne, and Pomona.
People found this by searching for: Claremont Gastropub, Back Abbey Montclair, Claremont, Ca Hamburger Restaurant, Back Abbey Claremont, Back Abbey Burger, The Back Abbey Restaurant, The Back Abbey, The Back Abbey Claremont Menu, and Back Abbey.