4741 Chicago Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55407

Bagu Sushi & Thai

Neighborhoods: Northrup
Cuisine: Sushi, Gluten Free, Breakfast

Bagu Sushi & Thai is a Sushi, Gluten Free, and Breakfast restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.

BananaWoo photo

BananaWoo

Minneapolis, MN

Quaint and Unexpected

I was disappointed to find that my camera was not on me for this visit. We had some beautiful dishes and some great sushi that I would have loved to share with you all. Anyways…

Bagu sushi is located in South Minneapolis on Chicago Ave. It’s an unusual place for a sushi bar, but why not. I’ve actually been to this area several times to visit Turtle Bread Company which is right across the street. I never noticed Bagu or at least didn’t know what it was until I found it on Menuism. The small orange awning and darkened windows make Bagu sort of like a hidden secret. There is a patio out back which cannot be seen from the streets and there are no other signs indicating this place is a sushi joint.

The inside is also small and maybe would seat about 30 people comfortably. The décor is sort of modern club with cast iron wall hangings and yellow lighting behind the booths. The sushi bar holds only 2 chefs and some raw fish. We were the only ones inside, but there were several on the patio. Did I mention it’s 60 degrees here? AND IT’S JULY! Sigh…we opted for warmness over outdoors.

Our app is what I would have liked to shown everyone – the Poke Ahi. It was a tuna ceviche marinated in chili oil and herbs then topped with roe and a quail egg yolk. Out of this world! The tuna they serve at Bagu is super dark in color which I like – tender, creamy and rich in texture. We also did the basic gyoza and edamame which are on special during happy hour for 4 bucks a pop.

My goal of the night was to try uni for the first time, but they were out. They also didn’t have any toro, double disappointment, but we made do. Instead we bought everything else on the menu. Tuna maki, tuna-avocado roll (my favorite of the night), California, tako and white fish nigiri, 3 wise guys roll (tuna, salmon, yellowtail and smelt roe topped with crunchy tempura flakes), spicy tuna roll and a spicy crab roll. I guess the only thing I would decide against on my next visit would be the spicy crab. For $15 it was not worth it. The crab was chopped so fine it could have been imitation and there would be no way of knowing. Not overly exciting so I say skip it!

Great food, great service, interesting location and good happy hour specials (2 for 1 bottled beers and glasses of wine, $5 Sopporo and Ichiban in 22oz. cans). Do you need anything else? Not me.

Poke Ahi

Tuna marinated in chili oil and herbs then topped with roe and a quail egg yolk.

Creamy, tangy and amazing. Big pieces of tuna with lots of flavor. The presentation is also nice.

Sushi Outdoor seating Parking

Bagu Sushi & Thai  Restaurant Reviews

Bagu Sushi & Thai is located near the cities of Saint Anthny Vlg, St Anthony, and Saint Anthony.
People found this by searching for: Bagu Sushi Menu, Tumdee + Bagu Sushi, Bagu Sushi And Thai, Sushi Minneapolis 4741 Chicago Avenue, Bagu Sushi, Bagu Sushi & Thai, and Co. Restaurant.