6587 University Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50324

Baru 66

Cuisine: French, Catering, Contemporary

Baru 66 is a French, Catering, and Contemporary restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.

Wolfie81 photo

Wolfie81

Des Moines, IA

What Delightful Cuisine and Good Value!

Carol and I truly enjoyed our first dining experience at Baru 66 on the corner of 66th street and University Ave. The service was very attentive and the food OUTSTANDING.

I loved the brown on dark brown decor, a single room with French vocal music in the background, and how the walls are covered with pictures of French-themed oils and other tasteful decorations. We took advantage of their $45 Fixed Priced menu of three items; Appetizer, entrée, and dessert.

We started our early dinner with Carol ordering the Lady Baru which appeared to be champagne with Chambord and a raspberry, and I ordered a glass of their Pinot Noir which we enjoyed. Our bread basket contained their special Focaccia and Country Wheat breads along with a dish of butter which both were very fresh and delicious.

Prior to our appetizer we were served a small serving of pickled herring with fresh cream and cucumber/tomato salsa along with a small glass of a watermelon tonic. It was delightful to the palate!!

Then my appetizer of Avocado and Crab w/ micro salad arrived which was delicious; although I found part of an inedible avocado stem in my dish which I reported to our waitress for quality control purposes. Carol had the sea scallop with caper berry and a micro salad which I sampled and thought it was well prepared and seasoned.

Carol’s said the coffee was up to her high standards and the tea selections that I was presented were of a good quality. For dessert, Carol had the Meringue glacée which she simply adored, and I just had to try the Deconstructed Black Forest Cake which was incredible. I was in Chocolate Heaven with this dish. To top it all off, we were finally presented with a mini-Ball jar containing sorbet and pineapple pieces along with a small, filled macaroon. There were other equally creative and delectable selections for desserts as well as other entrée items that we will definitely try on our next visit.

Appetizer, Entrée and Dessert

The entrées were next where Carol ordered the Black Sea Bass with Lobster Risotto & Spring Vegetables, and I had the Salmon with porcini (?) mushrooms, purple potatoes, carrot, green beans and asparagus. Both entrées were gastronomic delights, prepared in the authentic French Contemporary style.

French Parking Catering

Baru 66  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Brew 66 Des Moines, Ia, Baru 66 Des Moines Restaurant, Baru 66 Menu Des Moines, Baru 66 Des Moines, Baru 66 Menu, Brew 66 Des Moines, Baru 66 Menu/Des Moines, Iowa, and Baru 66.