2610 Northridge Pkwy
Ames, IA 50010

Black Market Pizza

Neighborhoods: Somer Street
Cuisine: Pizza, American, Catering

Black Market Pizza is a Pizza, American, and Catering restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

BananaWoo photo

BananaWoo

Minneapolis, MN

Wanted to Love You

Although I visit Ames quite regularly, I made a point to visit Black Market Pizza last time I passed through. Had seen it on the Travel Channel and apparently the owners had a piece on CNN. They have some sort of spicy pizza challenge (the Maui Waui), but I was drawn in by their promise of authentic Chicago style deep dish, mmmmmmmmmmm!

My partner in crime and I went in one afternoon on a mission and starving! We ordered the “Mr. Meaty”. Sounds awesome, right? Sausage, ham, pepperoni, ground beef and bacon. They might have fit some cheese and tomatoes on there too. The deep dish took awhile to come out, but that’s sort of par for the course with deep dish. Luckily the pitcher of beer tided us over. Beer selection is alright, about 8 on tap and some bottles.

Finally our pizza arrived. At first smell it was awesome. At first sight it was interesting, but I was willing to dig in and give it a try. The stewed tomatoes on top we covered in a fairly large amount of dried spice, oregano and such. Not a huge fan of overly seasoning things just for the sake of over seasoning or decoration and just thinking about all the meats on there, I figured that would be enough flavor. The dried herbs did little enhancement for the pie. The meat was rich, salty, and greasy. No problems with the meat. But here, as much as it pains me to say it, is the one downfall of Black Market…the crust. I’m not a native Chicagian, but I was disappointed, to say the least, with the crust. It was tough like a cracker and all I wanted was doughy goodness.

All and all the flavor was pretty solid, but I just couldn’t get over the crust. Maybe I was just looking for something that shouldn’t be there in the first place, but the initial shock of the crust crunch versus the crust pillow might keep me from going back a second time. Not saying Black Market Pizza is bad, it may just not be my scene.

Last word: the wait staff was super friendly and helpful. Liked the location and atmosphere as well.

Mr. Meaty Pizza Chicago

For 14" of “Chicago style” pizza I want some more dough in my life. Toppings are good, definitely lots of meaty goodness, but I’ll keep looking for that perfect duo of soft, deep crust and amazing toppings.

Pizza American Catering

Black Market Pizza  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Black Market Pizza Reviews, Pizza Ames, Ia, Us, Black Market Pizza Challenge, Black Market Pizza Ames Review, Ames Pizza Travel Channel, Black Market Pizza Menu, Cheesy Mobsterella Shanks Black Market Pizza, and Black Market Pizza.