816 W 50th St
Minneapolis, MN 55419-1204

Blackbird

Neighborhoods: Lynnhurst
Cuisine: Bistro, Vegetarian, Tea

Blackbird is a Bistro, Vegetarian, and Tea restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.

BananaWoo photo

BananaWoo

Minneapolis, MN

Proscuitto Cigar. Do I Have Your Attention?

When I first learned about Blackbird I was browsing the internet for food stories as I usually do. I came upon a review on The Heavy Table’s food column, The Bite. They had this beautiful photograph of a spicy peanut noodle dish with tofu. From that point forward I knew I had to try it even though my only basis for that thought was a photo.

Located in my childhood neighborhood I am fairly familiar with the area and the people. Although the people are somewhat artsy, I wasn’t sure the neighborhood would feel what Blackbird was trying to accomplish. None the less Blackbird delivered that avant-garde bistro/café feeling I was hoping for. Antlers of all sizes hung from the walls along with gold painted framed mirrors and a chalk board with specials. In the entry way and in the back hung ill-hemmed Italian looking curtains and in the hall paper Chinese lanterns graced the ceilings. From the outside the Blackbird looked very small, but they could probably house about 40 people.

On a whim last Monday evening we decided to give it a try. We arrive about 6:30 which was perfect because after we were seated numerous parties came in and were turned away (you cannot make reservations). The one unfortunate part was being seated right next to the doors, which wasn’t entirely the restaurant’s fault, but we had a couple parties come in and stand right over us talking loudly about whether or not they should wait. One group even took the menus from our table to try to figure out if they were at Heidi’s (which is right next door). I quickly snatched back our menus once they walked away.

The wait staff seemed friendly enough. I chatted a bit with our waitress regarding the spicy peanut noodle picture I saw on The Bite. She told me that many people have come in seeking out just that one dish. For the rest of the meal she was attentive and made sure our glasses were full and our table was clear.

My boyfriend had the Southwestern Sandwich, which was not actually a sandwich, but still good. I of course had the Spicy Peanut Noodles with tofu. Not overly spicy, but still had a lot of flavor. The tofu was definitely the star of this dish. There was also chicken mixed in the noodles and I wasn’t sure if that was a mistake or if they always came that way. In any case, if you are a vegetarian you may want to ask about the chicken.

The most awesome part of this meal wasn’t the entrees, but the app and the dessert. We tried the Proscuitto Cigar which was by far one of the best apps I have ever eaten (see more about this in the description below). Also, the dessert trio we ordered was delectable especially the jasmine tea crème brulee.

The Blackbird was an overall success in my book. Reasonably priced (not an everyday place, but for special occasions or a treat), interesting décor and some really amazing unique dishes. I would definitely go back in the near future even if it was just to nosh on apps and drink some beers at the bar.

Proscuitto Cigar at Blackbird

Proscuitto Cigar

Everything about this dish was amazing! Salty, crispy proschuitto is wrapped around a crepe and rolled like a cigar. The inside is stuffed with melty gorgonzola cheese and served with spicy brown mustard and sliced apples. The mixture of texture and flavor is right on. This takes meat and cheese platers to a whole new level. $4.50 for 1 cigar, cut into 4 pieces or $15.00 4 cigars.

Dessert Trio at Blackbird

Dessert Trio

A trifecta of desserts each unique and special. The chocolate mocha cake was decadent and rich. Although I found the cake to be a little dry, the chocolate syrup and nut topping helped.

Two triangles of carrot cake are filled with a goat cheese frosting. The frosting was creamy and not too sweet, my boyfriend and I both loved it. Again, the cake was a little on the dry side, but still good for a carrot cake.

The best part was the jasmine tea creme brulee. Adorable in a little white coffee cup. The top was crispy and caramel flavored and the inside was creamy, flowery and refreshing. An amazing summer treat.

Next time I’ll probably just stick to the jasmine tea creme brulee.

Spicy Peanut Noodles with Tofu at Blackbird

Spicy Peanut Noodles with Tofu

Udon noodles, sauteed vegetables & fried egg in a spicy peanut sauce. Love the sunny side egg on top, reminds me of bi bim bop (a popular Korean dish). Lots of crunchy vegetables including bok choy, snow peapods and green onions. The sauce is creamy and has a little bit of a kick. I would have liked a little more spice, but the flavor of this dish was still good.

The tofu was out of this world! Super crispy on the outside and not oily at all. The tofu on the inside is soft and warm. Seems like the squares were flash fried to perfection.

Bistro Vegetarian Beer Served
Sun,Sat 08:00AM - 02:00PM (Breakfast)
Fri-Sat 05:00PM - 10:00PM (Dinner)
Mon-Thu 05:00PM - 09:00PM (Dinner)
Mon-Fri 11:00AM - 02:00PM (Lunch)
Mon-Sat 02:00PM - 05:00PM (Tidbits)
Camdi Chinese-Vietnamese

Asian in Prospect Park

Mei Inn

Chinese in Northrup

Blackbird  Restaurant Reviews

Blackbird is located near the cities of Saint Anthny Vlg, St Anthony, and Saint Anthony.
People found this by searching for: Blackbird Mpls Menu, Blackbird Restaurant Minneapolis, Blackbird Restaurant St Louis Park Mn, Restaurant By Blackbird Minneapolis, The Blackbird Restaurant Mpls, Blackbird Minneapolis, and Blackbird In Mpls.