12087 Perry Hwy
Wexford, PA 15090-8394

Blue Water Tavern

Cuisine: Burgers, Brunch, Asian

Blue Water Tavern is a Burgers, Brunch, and Asian restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.

condimentqueen photo

condimentqueen

Blue Water in the burbs

We stopped for a quick cocktail and a bite to eat after a long day at work. Blue Water was nice and relaxing with a warm and friendly staff. I enjoyed a new to me wine called “Homegrown” at about 8.00 a glass. The menu is extensive and has just about everything on it including brunch.

smokehouse burger

1/2 pound of prime angus was cooked to order and done just as I ordered Medium well. The burger was crisp bacon and cheese . Served witha smoky bar-b-que sause and then topped with nice crispy fried onion straws. They are my favorite. It was easy to enjoy this juicy burger with its’rich warm flavors. Include with the burger are an order of fries.

nickyb photo

nickyb

Review of Blue Water Tavern

I visited Blue Water Tavern on Wednesday, June 10 for dinner with three of my friends. We came on the recommendation of a friend to listen to music the restaurant features on Thursday nights. I live in the city and do not get out to the suburbs often. I usually do not eat at restaurants out in suburbia because frankly, they are not as good as the ones in the city. I was doubly apprehensive about the trip to Blue Water because it has mixed reviews online, but I went because my friend liked the place and I really dig Johnny Vann who was the musical guest that night.

Having said that, I was blown away by my experience. First, the placed is very well done. They owner obviously sunk some cash into it. A guest I was sitting by said that that it used to be a pizza joint. The patio is most impressive and was it packed. It is partially covered by a large awning and features different sized table. The patio is where the bands play. I talked to the manager Christy and she said that all the thursday nights have been busy since the music started. I wandered inside between sets and checked out the dining room. It has a nice decor, with browns, mustard, and red paint scheme on the walls. The staff there calls it a moden taven design. The are a mixture of tables and booths. Christy said they also have a private dining room that seats 24 people and is free for the public to use for intimate events. I like the curtains that can be drawn to give privacy to that space.

The kitchen is open, and I am not a big fan of that. There is a lot going on back there and I think it is distracting to the person dining out. Christy said they are closing it off which I think is a great idea.

Since I am not a fashon designer I will concentrate most of my comments on the food. Our table had four entrees and two appetizer samplers. Christy said that the restaurant is in the upscale casual market segement, which is clear from their menu. They have both casual fare such as burgers and pizzas and a liberal selection of pastas and entrees. Blue Water Tavern also has about 15 tapas (small plates) that they use as appetizers.

1. Our table checked out the tapas first and decided to try their Tavern Trio a platter of three tapas. We actually got two of them so we could try six items. Our waiter helped us picked the six and recommended right away that we go with the crab cakes, and brushetta. We also tried the caprese salad, chicken satays, ceviche and banana peppers. As you can see from our choices there is a wide range of styles of cooking. I think the restaurant did a great job with most of the choices. We liked the peppers the best followed by the crab cakes and caprese salad. The chicken satays were out least favorite and lacked any real punch.

2. I tried the Lobster Mac and Cheese. My waiter told me that the idea for the dish came from the Capitol Grill which does a similar dish. I have actually tried it but the Grills preparation is very different. The serving size seemed to be 8-10oz which is a nice size given the other items we ate. On top of the penne was a small lobster tail and two large shrimp. I liked the taste of the cheese and thought the lobster tail was perfectly cooked. My pasta came with a small house salad that had Asian pears on it. The house dressing was a Dijon Vinegrette that I felt was a bit on the sweet side.

3. My friend Bobby went for a steak as he does everywhere. Blue Water has two steak choices in their entrees, a filet and portabella mushroom cap, and a traditional surf and turf. Bobby went with the first choice with the mushrooms. He said the steak was perfectly cooked at medium which is a good sign that their grill guy knows what he is doing. Bobby has sent more steaks back to the kitchen for being overdone. The caps have a gargonzola cheese on top and are served with asparagas and red skinned potatoes. His only comment was, that he would like the option to be able to purchase a larger cut of meat. The filet was six ounces as advertised. He would have liked a few more ounces.

4. Jim tried the Chicken Glaviano which is chicken and hot sausage with peppers and onions. Jim like the combination of flavors. He let me try some and I agreed that they did not try to overspice the meal and the taste of the sausage came through. Again served with red skinned potatoes.

5. Kenny threw a curve at the kitchen to see how they could handle it. He wanted also wanted a steak, but wanted to try their scallops and a piece of the salmon. He likes the surf and turf combo but is not a big fan of lobster. I have already said the steaks were cooked properly, but another dish to easily mess up are scallops. If you undercook them the consistency is wrong. Overcook them and Sidney Crosby could use them as a hockey puck they are so rubbery. Blue Water’s were perfectly grilled, nice grill marks. Kenny said the salmon, however, blew the away the other two choices. I tried this as well and agree. Moist, full of great taste. The waiter did not have a lot of details on it, so we made him ask the chef if was wild or farm raised and we were told it was from the west coast and was wild.

We drank mixed drinks from the bar most of the night and felt they were generously poured. Christy checked with us often in addition to out waiter to see if there was anything we needed. Johnny played great tunes that night and is worth going to see if you haven’t heard him. He’ll be back at Blue Water later this summer. We will be back too.

With all the good things to say about Blue Water here are my suggestions to make it even better. 1 Bread on the tables. I like bread with my meal. The server said they offer it to any table who requests it. I believe it should be placed out with the salads. 2 Water with the meals. I like restaurant that have it on the tables as well. We needed it with the banana peppers. 3.Change the lightbulb on the patio. It was burnt out and looks bad. 4. Tell people about the place. I would never have come to this place as I said unless a friend told me about it and Johnny was playing here. Whoever owns it has a gem. Take it out of the box and let it shine. Restaurants fail all the time. He or she needs to advertise more.

Lobster Mac & Cheese

Filet and Portobella

Chicken Glaviano

mbrougher55 photo

mbrougher55

Great Seafood in the Suburbs

Great Seafood in the Suburbs
Ok I was born and raised in the city and moved out to the suburbs when I got married. One truth about eating out here is you can’t have a great dinner—particularly anywhere in the North Hills.

I found out about Blue Water Tavern when I friend conned me into buying a group on coupon for the place. Thank goodness we decided to go because the place is fantastic.

Six of us went for dinner and since we were armed with two group on coupons we splurged. I tried the surf and turf and added fresh crabmeat to my meal. The steak was cooked perfectly and so was my lobster. The portion of crabmeat was very generous and it only cost me $32. My girlfriend tried something called the crab ala vodka which was a pasta with lump crabmeat on top. Again very good and only $18.

Our friendswent with burgers when the server bragged they had the best in the city. I would agree ONE of the best. Try the Bayou Blue. Finally the last our last two friends had the fish dishes, their Mahi entree and their salmon entree. Mahi had a cood Sambuca sauce on it. I think any sauce with that in has to been great. But the salmon was even better with diver scallops served with it and fresh asparagus.

We had burnt almond tort for dessert good but not as great as Prantels in Shadyside. We also had an adult ice cream which had vanilla ice cream covered in Patron XO (coffee flavored tequilia)
Can’t wait to go back

Bayou Bleu Burger

They saw best in the city. I say one of the best. Generous blue cheese on top, perfectly grilled half pound of farm raised beef. MMMM

LoveToEatOut photo

LoveToEatOut

Cranberry Twp, PA

Very disappointing.

We have tried Blue Water twice. The first time, we ordered pasta dishes. My boyfriend’s dish was scallops, shrimp and crab meat in a tomato creme sauce. The scallops were overcooked, the fettuccine was improperly cooked and pretty much stuck together in a wad. I ordered Lobster & Shrimp Mac & Cheese. The pasta was penne served with shrimp pieces in the sauce and a lobster tail on top. The cheese sauce was very runny, I needed a spoon to eat it. Plus, it was barely luke warm. On the second visit, my boyfriend tried a Bayou Bleu burger. He asked for a small side salad as a substitute to the fries. “No, we can’t do that, you have to pick another side”. Come on, you can’t substitute a couple pieces of lettuce and a smidgen of dressing? Even for an up charge? Glad we decided to come here, again. He decided to get asparagus. Of course, his burger arrived with fries. I asked him later how his burger was and he said it was the worst hamburger ever. Totally lacking any flavor. Even the bacon.

I ordered a crab cake appetizer for my meal, since it wasn’t offered an an entree with a side of asparagus and a side salad. The salad so great. Pinenuts showed up in place of hazel nuts, the lettuce was not fresh and the spicy soy vinaigrette had the constituency of water. Also, my jumbo lump crab cakes had very little jumbo lump crab. I also asked for some extra remoulade to try to cover them up. Our server brought out the soy dressing. Then when I told her that’s not what I asked for, she actually argued with me and told me that’s what the crab cakes were served with. Are you kidding me? Bad food, bad service. We will not return.

Lobster Mac & Cheese

Bayou Bleu Burger

Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes

No jumbo lump crab.

Burgers Brunch Asian

Blue Water Tavern  Restaurant Reviews

Blue Water Tavern is located near the cities of Bradfordwoods, Bradford Woods, Warrendale, Mccandless Township, and Mccandless.
People found this by searching for: Blue Water Tavern Wexford, Pa, Blue Water Tavern, Blue Water Tavern Wexford, Sunday Brunch Wexford Pa, Blue Water Grill Wexford Pa, Blue Water Tavern Wexford Coupon, and Blue Water Tavern Wexford Menu.