7192 W Hwy-61
Tofte, MN 55615

Bluefin Grille

Cuisine: Seafood, American, American (New)

• 3/23/2013

An Italian chowhound from La Quinta, CA tried it and liked it.

BananaWoo photo

BananaWoo

Minneapolis, MN

Dinner and a View

There’s nothing better than a serene view to accompany an amazing dinner. If you’ve been to the North Shore or anywhere along Lake Superior then you know what it’s like. During the summer it’s almost like an ocean, minus the Hawaiian t-shirt wearing tourists and plastic women. But even during the cold season there is something wonderful about the shore. I’m not a ski rabbit so the snow games are beyond me. The peace though, I can deal with.

Maybe even if the food was bad I’d still pay a visit to the local restaurants just for the scenery. I guess it’s just my luck that the Bluefin Grille serves up great dishes with a perfect view of the shore. Right out the large windows is a beach (currently snow banks) and waves. People happily run along through the snow ignoring the bitterness of the cold (ignoring the fact they could fall to their death through the snow and ice into a freezing cold lake?) and the grayness of the sky. It’s a comfort like home.

The Bluefin Grille serves up local fish, pasta, ribs, steak and burgers. The menu is constantly changing and there are always specials to try. For example, they had marlin last time we were there.

During our last visit I chose the Pan-Roasted Lake Superior Trout with Dill Cream Sauce ($22.95) which was really great. The only negative was the potatoes were a little cold. The trout made up for that however. The dill cream sauce was light and had great flavor. The breading on the fish was fried to perfection. There wasn’t too much batter and it wasn’t greasy at all. The fish inside was moist and flakey. The red peppers were crisp and bright. The squash and asparagus were a little squishy, but not bad. Plus is looks great, doesn’t it? (see photos)

My boyfriend had the Tomato Basil Gnocchi ($15.50). For started he chose the duck wild rice chowder. AWESOME! I liked the soup way more than the entree. When I read ‘Tomato Basil Gnocchi’ I imagined a red/pink or green gnocchi that was flavored like tomato basil. Instead, this was more like a caprese salad with gnocchi mixed in. The gnocchi was well cooked however, not too hard and not too pasty. There was a lot of olive oil going on however. I wish they would have picked a heartier sauce to cover the gnocchi. The little dumplings sort of slid around in the oil making the dish slimy feeling.

There are lots of good options on the menu. I recommend sticking to their specialties (ribs, soup, smoked fish) and the fresh fish! I will always go back to the Bluefin Grille whenever I’m in Tofte, you should visit too.

Duck Wild Rice Chowder at Bluefin Grille

Duck Wild Rice Chowder

Made with tender duck breast, wild and brown rice, potatoes and garden vegetables. Hardy, creamy and satisfying!

Tomato Basil Gnocchi at Bluefin Grille

Tomato Basil Gnocchi

Potato dumplings tossed with vine ripened tomatoes, fresh basil and garlic, shallots, pine nuts and finished with fresh mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Too oily, not a lot of flavor.

Lake Superior Trout at Bluefin Grille

Lake Superior Trout

Serve pan-roasted will dill cream sauce. Excellent!

Seafood American American (New)

Bluefin Grille  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Bluefin Grille Tofte Menu, Bluefin Grille Tofte, Bluefin Grille Menu/Tofte Mn, Bluefin Restaurant Tofte, Bluefin Grille Mn Menu, Duck Chowder, Bluefin Grille Tofte Mn Menu, Bluefin Grille Menu Tofte, and Bluefin Grille Menu.