Border Cafe

Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-mex, Lunch

Border Cafe is a Mexican, Tex-mex, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid less than $10, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

Overall
Pros
"I recently worked here. Roaches invested in kitchen also roaches in dining area. Cooks do not wear gloves. Dishwasher doesn't not use soap only recycled water which is changed once a day"
"Great food and great service-my go to place!!! Sure wish they would bring back Catfish New Orleans!!!!!"
"OMG. A vegetarian menu! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!"
"Swordfish tacos were fantastic "
"Quick service, good food, ok pricing"
"Always fast service and great food, not expensive at all!!!"
"Good food good service good atmosphere!"
Cons
"Use to work hear roaches in dining room and kitchen. Cooks don't wear gloves. Dishwasher does not use soap"
"Bring back Catfish New Orleans!!!"
"None!"
"Wait time to sit, closeness of other customers"
"The food is decent, however the management is HORRIBLE! I had dinner last night there with my daughter and wife. One of the waiters dropped an entire tray of hot food right in front of our table which resulted in hot food being splashed up at us. Our c"
Comments
"DO NOT GO"
"Nope. I'm good."
"Service was very good; margaritas were very well balanced are tasty"
"No"
  • 11/19/2017

A Mexican chowhound from Wilmington, DE tried it, didn't like it, and rated it . They didn't like the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Cons
    Comments
    DO NOT GO
  • 11/19/2017

A diner from Elkton, MD tried it.

• 11/12/2017

A diner from Newark, DE tried it.

• 10/28/2017

A diner from Philadelphia, PA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 8/08/2017

A diner from US tried it.

• 5/06/2017

A Mexican chowhound from Philadelphia, PA tried it.

• 4/17/2017

Mercy219 tried it.

• 3/05/2017

A diner from Newark, DE tried it.

• 3/01/2017

Peggys1961 tried it, liked it, and rated it . Peggys1961 liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Cons
    Bring back Catfish New Orleans!!!
  • 1/05/2017

A dining patron from Newark, DE tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Artiste photo

Artiste

Wilmington, DE

Fun

I’m surprised no one has made note of this restaurant as it is packed daily for both lunch and dinner. It’s a wacky casual mix of mexican and cajun food. The decor is just as wacky but the whole overall atmosphere is just fun. Our favorite dish is a Cadillac Fajita. It’s made with Filet Mignon…wow! Can’t get any better. It’s not a place to have much of a conversation however. The combination of people and music levels makes it one noisy place.

Mercy219 photo

Mercy219

Newark, DE

Border Cafe - Used to like it -- Won't go again

My family and I used to dine at Border Café once or twice a week. I loved it, my family not so much. Sometimes the food isn’t so great. My husband’s eggplant with crab sauce is always overdone and hard as a rock or underdone and hard as a rock. He has sent the same dish back a number of times.
But this past Easter Sunday was an experience, and it was not a pleasant one.
The meal was okay, my vegetarian black bean burro was lukewarm on the outside and stone cold in the center. I ordered Jose’s rice and black beans; I received a double portion of Jose’s rice. I’m not a complainer and I could take the food home and heat it up for dinner. My daughters are always picky, but they had nothing to complain about.
So what went wrong, you ask? My one daughter wanted to take a quesadilla or burger to her boyfriend because he was working. Imagine our surprise and total shock when the waiter said that we couldn’t take a meal to go (which we have done many times in the past), because the management doesn’t permit it. We asked for the manager, still unbelieving.
The manager had the nerve to say that their food was so fresh and delicious that they didn’t want it to go out of the restaurant, because the freshness and perfection would be ruined. So my bean burro was fresh and perfect? I didn’t get half of it and the rest of it was cold. The manage skipped over my complaint. He walked away from us, which was unbelievable.
My daughter called him back and tried to talk to him. She said she was still hungry and wanted to place another order. She had every intention of eating half of a burger and taking the rest to her boyfriend. The manager told her that she had used the “To Go” words, so he didn’t believe that she would eat it in the restaurant and that once those words have been said, the restaurant will not serve a customer any further.
The other daughter furiously interrupted and indicated, unfortunately loudly and in language I don’t approve of, how stupid the policy was and that she didn’t like being called a liar. Everyone in the restaurant stared. It was very embarrassing.
My family has always indulged me in wanting to go to Border Café because of my enjoyment of the food and the reasonable prices, but we won’t be back. I won’t put up with such rude and derogatory treatment. No customer should be subjected to such treatment. Too bad the owner wasn’t available.

Vegetarian Black Bean Burro, Jose's Rice

Cold and incomplete order

dadstu photo

dadstu

West Chester, PA

HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT

The food is decent, however the management is HORRIBLE! I had dinner last night there with my daughter and wife. One of the waiters dropped an entire tray of hot food right in front of our table which resulted in hot food being splashed up at us. Our clothes were soiled, not to mention we almost took my daughter to the hospital with facial burns. The manager on duty showed little concern, only stopped by once to see if we were OK, and offered no compensation for this event. A letter is being sent to corporate….they have lost customers.

wsieglein photo

wsieglein

Baltimore, MD

Food Good - Owner's Gestapo "No Take Out" Policy Absurd!

Owner of Border Cafe Rules with Iron Fist and Employees Fear His No Take Out Policy.

I’ve been coming to Border Cafe for about 4 years. I pass through that part of town about every 6 weeks. My business partner and I generally enjoy the food and fast courteous service. Unfortunately it comes to an abrupt end today.

My business partner asked our server for an additional order of enchiladas to take home to his wife knowing she’d enjoy them. He’s done this here before. The server said she could not honor his request because it was against corporate policy to allow any carry out.

Not believing her, my partner went to the manager who confirmed they don’t allow any take home. So, he asked if he could just order an extra helping and have it brought to table and then put in a “doggy bag” as we saw the group next to us with their left- overs. The manager said “Now that I know what you plan to do with the extra order I won’t allow it.”

He and I were stunned. I later asked the manager to explain the purpose and point of the policy but she couldn’t. I asked for the general manager’s contact and she gave me his card. His name is Mike McCann. I’ll be calling him later today when he gets in. I’m also contacting the Delaware states attorney because it seems illegal to deny service to a customer as they did to us.

Mr. McCann called me back at about 6pm and explained that the single owner of the restaurant made the policy because he wanted patrons to enjoy the food fresh and hot as it was meant to be consumed and that he will fire any employee that does not obey this policy. WOW, that sounds pretty Gestapo to me.

Mr. McCann agreed that its very odd and that he’s never come across a similar policy in his 23 years managing restaurants. He promised to convey my comments to the owner.

Too bad. I used to like this place. Not any more. Such an idiotic policy makes me question everything about the ownership of this establishment.

October 25, 2010

sucked

Don't Really like it there. The food sucks n so does their chips n home made salsa. .. just wouldn't recommend any one to waste their time, also their casadillas suck also.....just saying!!!!

Mexican Tex-mex Dinner

Border Cafe  Restaurant Reviews

Border Cafe is located near the cities of Radnor Township, Brookside, and Windy Hills.
People found this by searching for: Does Borders Cafe Do Takeout, Borders Restaurant Delaware, Borders Cafe Newark De Menu, Border Cafe Newark De, Borders Cafe, Border Cafe In Wilmington De, and Border Cafe.