419 N Fairfax Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036-1799

Canter's Deli

Neighborhoods: Mid-Wilshire
Cuisine: Deli, Bakeries, Jewish

Canter's Deli is a Deli, Bakeries, and Jewish restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

Pros
"Delicious pastrami on rye and bowl of borstch mmmmm good chased it down with cold cream soda service very good love the 24 service always stop for sweets on the wAy out"
  • 3/26/2016

Wyogardener tried it, liked it, and rated it . Wyogardener liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 5/16/2015

A diner from Los Angeles, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
lael photo

lael

deli-icious

This deli is a one-of-a-kind here in LA. If you are a vegetarian, I recommend the avocado melt. This has an amazing atmosphere… and rarely do you find the characters working at Canter’s anywhere else. The technology is amazing, the people at the front keep books (no computer) for the entire place… And who can resist the bakery in the front??? Truely a gem nestled in LA (though I hear they serve at Dodgers games and in Los Vegas).

Where else can you get corned beef at 4am??? (open 24 hours) It is a little pricey for a sandwich, but worth it and can’t be beat by other local delis.

avocado melt

a bit pricey for a sandwich and fries, but worth it and i would definitely do it again! (hold the sprouts on the sandwich) save room for dessert, if you can!

ca_ccarr photo

ca_ccarr

Northridge, CA

Always loved this place

This is an old school Jewish deli. The chopped liver is amazing, corned beef ditto. Some of the staff has been there forever. They serve drinks forever and are open 24 hours I believe. The desserts are not so good. Free parking included. It wouldn’t be LA without Canter’s

resolvedfreedom photo

resolvedfreedom

Canter's was my first Jewish deli experience. I also wor...

Canter’s was my first Jewish deli experience. I also worked there for about 6 months, which was a lot of fun. It’s crazy, huge, has waitresses who’ve been there for 50 years. One of my favorite things was the pastrami reuben, although I’ve stopped eating red meat, so that’s out. I love the omelettes. I don’t care for most of the desserts, but I LOVE the creamy cheesecake. Also, the soups are excellent.

WyoGardener photo

WyoGardener

Laramie, WY

Real Jewish Deli in LA

After growing up in Chicago, I know good Jewish deli food. Living in Wyoming, I miss it very much.
Canter’s corned beef & pastrami sandwiches were a real treat for this now-small-town girl. I even took some home for my bro & his wife.
The corned beef & pastrami are wonderful & the portions are huge!
The rye bread & potato salad were nothing to write home about, but who cares when the meats are done just right.
We all loved the bakery products & they made a memorable breakfast the next day. My fave was the hamantschen, a shortbread-like pastry enclosing a lovely apricot filling.
Canter’s menu is enormous — 7 pages of everything from breakfast items & kid’s food to classic deli entrees & old-fashioned cocktails. Reading it left me wanting to return to LA just to try some of the things that looked great.
From the deli counter, try the smoked sable fish (black cod). We all swooned over the buttery, rich, velvety fish with a lightly smoked flavor. It’s pricey, but prices on the Web are far higher & that’s if you can find it.
This deli is open 24 hours & features a food truck that travels around LA.

babysweetpea photo

babysweetpea

Always consistent and truly Jewish.

I love the Reuben sandwich and the matzoh ball soup is excellent. Their pickles are super crunchy and salty. Just perfect. Service is interesting: Either rude or extra nice, depending upon who you get. Just ignore the snippy waitresses and enjoy great food. The bakery is very good, too. Rum cake to die for.

Matzo Ball Soup

Always perfect.

Miles1985 photo

Miles1985

San Juan Capistrano, CA

Canter's in LA

One of the things that makes people fiercely loyal to a restaurant is history. If the place grows along with the people, it can start to take on a life of its own. But this is only one half of the equation- to have real staying power, an establishment needs to serve food that people are compelled to eat- food that stands the test of time.
Enter Canter’s Jewish Delicatessen, a genuine LA landmark that is as famous for its celebrity clientele as it is for its Reubens and house-made pickles. It started in Jersey City in 1924 and then came west. Canter’s proceeded to grow with LA, and establish itself as an institution.
We wet our whistles with a couple of cream sodas to start, and quickly dug in to our fat sandwiches. The Canter’s Special was corned beef with saurkraut, and it lived up to its name, and then some. We also enjoyed pastrami that was hot and savory, and about five different varieties of mustard that really made each bite unique. Matza ball soup is a must, and the crispy bagel chips accompanying it gave a nice crunchy contrast. The menu is huge here, and with so much to try, you’ll be coming back again and again. The world famous pickles were crisp and tangy, with just the right balance of salt and spice.
The huge selection of pastries and sweets in the bakery seems to go on and on. Cupcakes, scones, bagels, loaves of bread, pies, muffins, rolls, tarts…it really is endless.
As numerous rock stars and actors have found, there’s a lot more to appreciate at Canter’s than just late hours!

PaulP9 photo

PaulP9

Best Jewish Deli In LA

I love this place, I’ve been eatin at canter for years. My favoirte is there bagels and lox plate with red onions and tomatoes.

Deli Jewish Deli Bakeries

jen88

San Pedro, CA
0 useful

Canter's Deli  Restaurant Reviews

Canter's Deli is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Canter's Deli Menu, Best Jewish Deli Los Angeles, Jewish Deli Los Angeles, +Canter's Fairfax Menu, Delli In Mid Wilshire Pico Fairfax, Canter's Deli, and Canter's Deli, Prices.