8825 Southwest Canyon Road
Portland, OR 97225

Canyon Grill

Neighborhoods: Garden Home - Raleigh Hills
Cuisine: Burgers, Hamburgers, Barbecue

Canyon Grill is a Burgers, Hamburgers, and Barbecue restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid less than $10, and tipped more than 18%.

Pros
"Excellent burgers, well priced."
  • 9/26/2017

A Burgers chowhound from Portland, OR tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Excellent burgers, well priced.
arwen photo

arwen

Vancouver, WA

Worth the haul!

I drove for just over half an hour to get to this little joint. The parking is street side on the backside of the main road, which is also where the entry door faces. There are only two full tables, which sit bar height and seat four a-piece, combined with two small chairs in the back corner and a couple of “bar stool” seats up front. The heated cabana had more seating, and I’m sure it is pleasant when the heaters are on. We came on an afternoon when it was wet and they had not turned them on yet, although the cabana was fully enclosed with heavy duty plastic sheeting and dry. I’m a cold blooded girl; I need heat.
The menu is full and varied. They have everything: buffalo burgers, chicken, breakfast on weekends, lunchmeat sandwiches, chili dogs, steak and BBQ on the weekends, tuna, salads, pork Verde burritos, salmon burgers, etc. For such a small building, their menu is a cornucopia of mouth watering temptations.
I met my hubby here for a lunch “date” during the week and was very pleased to see the meat source is well thought out. You will find no meat here, raised in mass produced pens where the cow never sees the light of day. They use humanely raised beef which has no added hormones, or other unnecessary injections. The meat is local to the NW. The man and woman that run this place are efficient; she takes the orders and money and he cooks the food in an open kitchen where you can see everything prepared.
We ordered two 1/2&1/2’s (a mix of pepper jack and cheddar cheese with your burger) with different sides and a cherry pie shake. The shake really is a slice of cherry pie thrown in the ice cream and blended. Needless to say, it’s creamed cherry pie alamode. I am not a big fan of pie in general, but this shake is delicious! The house fries have a slight heat that builds as you eat them. They are shoestring, and do not appear to be press formed. Personally, I found them to be very good, even if I ate too much of my shake to finish them all. The burgers are hand formed and not uniform. This is a good thing. When you bite into the fresh lettuce, tomato, and pickle sandwiched between a Kaiser roll (no icky sesame seeds…yah!!) you will taste real meat. This is meat the way it was before the day of industrialized cattle farming. This is texture, taste, and moist deliciousness as it was meant to be enjoyed. This is a burger. Forget what you think you know. Forget all those chain joints popping up everywhere. Even Burgerville’s hormone free beef preformed patties can’t compete with the quality of this meat. I repeat, if you miss the burgers of years past…when meat was meat…you need to eat at Canyon Grill.
It was busy while we were there. Our presence was part of the crowd. We hurried up a bit at the end of our meal as we noted an older lady who had arrived and wanted a seat. The doorway/entryway is small, so we bumped a few people trying to get in and out. These are all things that I feel add to the ambience of the mom and pop burger joint though. When a place gets bigger, the service lacks luster.
Speaking of service, I have eaten out many places in the entire Portland metro area and the two that run this restaurant know how to keep customers coming back. Even when the place was packed with more people showing up, they kept smiling and making the customers feel welcome. The food was clearly made and plated with care. The friendliness of this place on top of the quality of the food will keep me driving over half an hour to return.
As if the two out of three pluses were not enough, the prices for the food are very reasonable. For both of us to have the 1/2&1/2 burger, tots, fries, a soda and a shake was $16.
So, Canyon Grill scores a trifecta in my book: excellent food I can feel good about eating, great prices and friendly, efficient service. What more could you ask for?

burgers

I had the 1/2 & 1/2 burger with house fries and a cherry pie shake (literally a piece of cherry pie blended with ice cream). I don’t tend to like pie as a rule, but this pie was delicious. I might try it next time with chocolate ice cream for a black forest like shake.
The fries were perfectly seasoned with a slight warm kick that built as I ate them. There was a buffalo sauce and ranch verbally offered in little dipping cups, along with the ketchup already at the table. I tried the buffalo sauce. With the already spiced fries, my weak spice palatte couldn’t take the combo consistantly, but it was delicious.
The burger was what it should be, meat full of flavor, texture, and the right amount of moisture. The bun is a Keiser rolll; none of those nasty false seseme seed things here. The lettuce and tomato are fresh and there was just the right amount of sauce on the bun. Many other places skimp there, but not Canyon Grill. They make your meal an experience, not just food to throw down your gullet.

mrlahey photo

mrlahey

Portland, OR

exceptional burgers

Can’t say enough good things about this place. Exceptional burgers – i dont even usually eat burgers, but i’ll gobble their’s almost daily.

Everything is very fresh, right down to the veggies they stuff into their extravagent breakfasts. Sometimes they have homemade soups – which are so good they hurt.

homemade shakes are insane

this review said it much better than i could: http://www.oregontraveldaily.com/news/canyon070910_439.php

burgers

Sun 09:00AM - 02:00PM
City Thai

Thai in Hillsdale

Canyon Grill  Restaurant Reviews

Canyon Grill is located near the cities of Alameda Beaumont Wilshire and Hillsdale.
People found this by searching for: Canyon Grill Beaverton, Hours For Canyon Grill Menu Portland,Or, Canyon Grill Beaverton Or, Canyon Grill, Southwest Canyon Road, Beaverton, Or, Canyon Grill Portland Menu, Breakfast Restaurants West Slope, Raleigh Hills Beaverton Oregon, and Canyon Grill Portland.