4000 28th St S
Arlington, VA 22206-2202

Carlyle Grand Cafe

Neighborhoods: Fairlington - Shirlington
Cuisine: Brunch, American, Kid's Menu

Carlyle Grand Cafe is a Brunch, American, and Kid's Menu restaurant where most Menuism users came for a business meeting, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.

Overall
Pros
"Excellent assistance to the handicapped (I need to use a walker and they allowed me to use the freight elevator near the kitchen to go to the upper level. The food is amazing, the wait staff exceptional. It's a pleasure dining there!!!!!"
"One of my top 5 favorite restaurants for well prepared food, excellent friendly service and also good for a nosh after the theatre."
"Food"
"Lobster pot stickers, yummm"
Cons
"No complaints "
"Hit or miss on the server...most are great but a couple not so much"
"None, servers were excellent"
Comments
"Call ahead on weekends."
"we will be back"
  • 6/10/2019

A diner from US tried it.

• 2/10/2019

A Brunch chowhound from Towson, MD tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 12/31/2018

A diner from Alexandria, VA tried it.

• 3/05/2018

A dining patron from Clinton, MD tried it.

• 2/07/2018

A Brunch food lover from Waldorf, MD tried it and liked it.

• 8/06/2017

A Brunch chowhound from Alexandria, VA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

• 7/22/2017

A Brunch chowhound from Annapolis, MD tried it.

• 7/22/2017

A Brunch food lover from Washington, DC tried it.

• 11/13/2016

A diner from US tried it.

• 5/03/2016

A diner from Alexandria, VA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Cons
    No complaints
    Comments
    Call ahead on weekends.
FlavorFinder photo

FlavorFinder

Bethesda, MD

Spacious, Family Friendly & Great food

From the moment the bread basket arrived with fried sugared dough balls and a nutty bread, I knew we were in for a good meal! It is always a challenge finding a place that can easily accomodate a larger group and kiddies in high chairs – this place hit the mark on that as well.

The service was very good, the atmosphere was very nice and the food was very tasty! After the tasty starter basket of bread was consumed by our group, a replacement was brought along!

The entrees were all well done – I enjoyed the brioche french toast (very cinnamony and moist) with scrambled eggs, bacon and potatoes (as did half of the table!). Other entrees (trout, eggs benedict) were well received too.

We didn’t have room for dessert, but the menu looked interesting – a chocolate bread pudding caught my eye.

If you are arriving with a family they have ample high chairs, however, this isn’t the type of place that has kids running around and cheap decor. There were several groups of “adults only” when we were there. There are some neat paintings and cool chandeliers in the room as well.

I would certainly consider a trip back here. They don’t take reservations, but you can get your name on the list. It is quite a large space though so it seems to move pretty well. I hear it is also a great option for lunch and dinner.

GastroEclectico photo

GastroEclectico

Phoenix, AZ

Great American's most consistently good!

Great American’s most Consistent! Since starting with Fritzbe’s, now Silverado in 1974, Great American Restaurants, which is comprised of 1) Artie’s, 2) Best Buns Bread Company, 3) Carlyle Grand Cafe, 4) Coastal Flats, 5) Jackson’s Mighty Fine Food & Lucky Lounge, 6) Mike’s American Grill, 7) Ozzie’s Corner Italian, 8) Silverado, and 9) Sweetwater Tavern, have been serving up some of the best eats, satisfying service, incredible All-American variety, and great experiences from spirits, starters, meals and desserts. This is not by any means a commercial, but a patron’s tribute to what has become 9 fantastic Northern Virginia dining destinations – an achievement few local restaurant chains can brag about. I am sure you’ll find something to your liking at any of their locations as I have, and urge you to contribute to this guide. Bon appétit!

StephOsborne photo

StephOsborne

Alexandria, VA

Former Regular Never Returning

The Carlyle has lost a regular customer. I used to love this restaurant. The bread is delicious, the banana pudding divine. Whenever we have friends or family in town, we go there. When people ask for suggestions of where to eat, we suggest there. I even had my graduation party lunch there. I will not be returning to this establishment unless I receive a sincere apology.

Even before this experience, getting a reservation is a nightmare, but the food is good so I always played along. I had guests who I was taking to a ball in DC Saturday evening and we decided to have dinner at the Carlyle. I called on Friday and multiple times on Saturday and was working with the desk to make sure that our wait time matched up with wanting to eat at 6:30. At 5:45, we called and they said a 45 minute wait. We put our name on the list and showed up, all 6 of us, at 6:30pm. They handed up a buzzer and said they were calling up for our table.

At 6:45 we wanted to see what was taking so long. They told us the wait was another 30-40 minutes. What!? We then saw a couple who had not called ahead walk up and be told there was a 20-30 minute wait. This was infuriating. We tried to explain to the hostess that we had called ahead and been assured a 45 minute wait more than an hour ago. She said she didn’t know what happened but that we were out of luck.

After waiting another 20 minutes – mind you we are in ball gowns and tuxedos – we asked again how much longer and it was still 30-40 minutes. We demanded to speak with the manager for an explanation. The girl (hostess) who was handing out buzzers told us that she was the manager and we were out of luck.

We have never been treated so poorly in a restaurant. The lack of honesty and customer service is astounding. This was one of our favorite restaurants, but after being embarassed in front of our guests like that, we do not plan to return. We then had to trudge through the snow in our formal wear to find another restaurant and then attend our event late.

I am extremely disappointed in this experience and can only hope that “Susan” at the front desk feels guilty for how she treated us and that her actions will someday finally be recognized by her management.

If you want good food and are willing to play ridiculous games to get a table, the Carlyle is your place. I can no longer recommend this place.

Tarbouch Mediterranean Grill

Ice Cream in Fairlington-Shirlington

Luna Grill & Diner

American in Fairlington-Shirlington

10/12/2019

A Coffee & Tea chowhound from DE tried Chill Zone.

9/27/2019

An Italian food lover from Augusta, GA tried Tivoli Restaurant in North Rosslyn.

8/21/2019

A Sandwiches food lover from FL tried Legal Sea Foods - Crystal City.

6/29/2019

A food lover from Shepherdstown, WV tried Margaret's Soul Food Cafe in Fairlington - Shirlington.

6/28/2019

A German chowhound from Mount Airy, MD tried BrickHaus.

6/23/2019

A diner from Arlington, VA tried Pho 75 in Colonial Village.

6/22/2019

A Mexican food lover from San Antonio, TX tried Guapo's Restaurant in Fairlington - Shirlington.

6/10/2019

A Brunch food lover from US tried Carlyle Grand Cafe in Fairlington - Shirlington.

6/09/2019

A diner from Henderson, NV tried Sawatdee in Clarendon - Courthouse.

6/06/2019

A dining patron from Arlington, VA tried Peking Pavilion Chinese in Williamsburg, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
The best tasting food! Fresh
Cons
None
Brunch American Outdoor seating
shaunah1

Arlington, VA
0 useful

Carlyle Grand Cafe  Restaurant Reviews

Carlyle Grand Cafe is located near the cities of Fort Myer, Arlington County, Clarendon, Rosslyn, and Ft Myer.
People found this by searching for: Carlyle Restaurant Shirlington, Carlisle Grand Shirlington Va, Carlisle Bakery Shirlington Va, Carlyle Grand, Carlyle Grand Shirlington Va, Carlysle Grand Cafe Menu, Carlisle Grand Shirlington, Carlyle Grand Restaurant In Shirlington, and Carlyle Garnd Sgirlingtin.