1206 E 53rd St

Cuisine: Middle Eastern, Vegetarian, Wraps

smallfry photo

smallfry

Chicago, IL

University of Chicago students love this...

University of Chicago students love this place. I’ve been here twice in the past 2 weeks, introduced by two separate U of C students who both chose it as a crowd favorite around the campus neighborhood. Tucked in a small plaza on the corner of 53rd and Woodlawn, in between a “Nicky’s Chinese” and “Harold’s Chicken Shacks,” Cedars is easy to miss but worth checking out, if you’re in the area. I was surprised to get in line on a Friday night and even more surprised that no one came to address us (as in put a name down and let us know the wait time) for about 15 minutes. Despite this minor detail, the service for the actual meal was superb both times I’ve been here. (My first waitress comp’d me an extra tea just because we were her first customers ever).

Inside, Cedars is furnished with very simple wooden furniture, nothing fancy-schmancy but comfortable and warm. There is also a bar/grill area to sit down at along one wall of the restaurant. The menu is diverse with a mix of Mediterranean and Indian (tandoori/curry) dishes. On my first visit, I tried a lamb and beef shawirma: pita sandwich with onions, tomatoes and tahina sauce, which looks like sour cream but is a white, sesame-tasting sauce. This was pretty yummy and filling because they serve it with their home-style fries. But the heart of this place lies in the family style meals.

On my second visit, there were 4 of us and we went for a family style, where you pick 3 appetizers, 2 salads, 2 meat dishes, 1 vegetarian dish, and 2 desserts for $13. Talk about a super deal! Since half our party was vegetarian, we traded a meat dish for a veg dish. The portions were huge, probably perfect for 6 people (maybe more), and the food was scrumptious! We had a tower of leftovers to take home even after eating to the point where I could not breathe comfortably. It’s also BYOB/alcohol and the table next to us passed over half their bottle of wine to share – friendly service AND friendly fellow customers.

Definitely go for the family style here.

Dolma – rice stuffed grape leaves (4 stars)
Falafel – garbanzos and spices balled, battered and fried (3 stars)
Baba Ghanooj – eggplant well blended with tahina sauce to be spread over pita (4 stars)

Fatush Salad (3 stars)
Blue Cheese Salad (4 stars)

Beef Tenderloin Kebob (4 stars)

Ripe Tomato Couscous (5 stars)
Beryani (3 stars)

Honey Glazed Baklava – awesome, honey coated, warm(5 stars!!)
Homemade Cinnamon Rice Pudding – it’s sweet and has a good consistency, not runny like some rice puddings, and I wish I could’ve had more! (5 stars)

YeyeLynvonne photo

YeyeLynvonne

Chicago, IL

Great!

I enjoyed this place. A friend celebrated the completion of a CD here and treated a group of us to a unique meal. The service was good and the place was not too crowded, so we really enjoyed ourselves and our food.

Yeye Lynvonne

Eclectic in Irving Park

Susupuato Restaurant & Taqueria

Mexican in Edgewater

Cedars Mediterranean Kitchen  Restaurant Reviews

Cedars Mediterranean Kitchen is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: Ceders Hyde Park Menu, Hyde Park Cedars, Cedars Mediterranean Kitchen Menu, Cedars In Hyde Park Menu, Cedars Hyde Park Menu, Mediterran Kitchen, and Cedar, Hyde Park, Menu.