1011 Locust St
Des Moines, IA 50309

Centro Restaurant

Neighborhoods: Downtown Des Moines
Cuisine: Italian, Breakfast, Lunch

Centro Restaurant is a Italian, Breakfast, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

BananaWoo photo

BananaWoo

Minneapolis, MN

Heat in Des Moines

Centro has got it. From the vaulted ceilings to the white linen table cloths, Centro is classy Italian American dining. They have the food quality to back up their looks as well.

Located in the restored Temple for Performing Arts building in Downtown Des Moines, Centro is elegant, refined and a little sassy. The dining area is open and spacious. Tables and booths fill the room each decorated with a crisp linen table cloth, a bottle of olive oil and a single candle. I totally agree with what others have said – it does not feel like Des Moines (no offense Des Moines, I love you lots).

Their menu has a large variety of pizzas, pastas, salads, seafood, chicken, sandwiches and even beef, lamb and veal. The cocktail menu is equally impressive. $8.50 specialty martinis? I’m in love. I see they also have a HH, lunch and weekend brunch menu.

Dishes go for an average of about $20 a plate. I would say it is worth it, but I’m not saying it’s inexpensive. I had the spicy shrimp and scallop fettuccine. The seafood was plump and juicy, the tomato sauce was creamy and tart with a kick. The pasta was fresh and al dente, but it did cost $22.99. One of the more expensive items in the pasta section, but when you consider pasta is generally the more reasonably priced items on menus $23 is quite a shock.

Overall the service, the ambiance, the meal and the drinks were all grade A. This isn’t an everyday deal, but for special occasions it’s sure to impress.

Spicy Shrimp and Scallop Fettuccine

Gulf shrimp and scallops sauteed with tomato, red onion and bell pepper in a spicy white wine butter sauce.

sejj photo

sejj

Clive, IA

Centro is a top choice for dining in Des Moines

Whether you need to discuss business with a client or relax with friends or family, Centro will not disappoint. The restaurant has an upscale look and feel, causing many first-time diners to comment that they don’t feel like they are in Des Moines. Then they realize that this IS the new Des Moines — a city that is becoming increasingly cosmopolitan. Business and political leaders, young professionals, and art aficionados mix with families in this restaurant, and all look happy. The variety of Italian and American menu items and prices means there is something for everyone. One surprise: the macaroni and cheese with truffles is a delight! For lighter appetites, salads or a turkey panini sandwich are a great option. The pastas and pizzas are wonderful, and the chicken francese is always a favorite of mine. The meat cuts are outstanding. The wine list is varied and excellent. The bar has a great view of the street; stop in before 6 PM for martini specials.

illuminatiblonde photo

illuminatiblonde

Des Moines, IA

Great place to go with friends after a concert or event. ...

Great place to go with friends after a concert or event. Classy atmosphere, yet relaxing. Candle lighting and nice artwork. Gives the impression of a resteraunt in Chicago. Flavourful, Italian food and great pizza. There isn’t much on the menu for less than $10 save salads and sides.

Wolfie81 photo

Wolfie81

Des Moines, IA

Our Server was Great but Very Disappointed with the Food.

Our first Centro experience was a big let-down for us. To start, the menu items were not very inspiring nor were the entrée embellishments which were our fault as we should have previewed the menu online first. Then, the Olive Oil for our bread tasted very stale and then we only received one slice of focaccia bread between us in the basket. More did come, though. The glass of CastleRock Pinot Noir I ordered tasted like it came from an open bottle from days ago.

My Centro and Carol’s Mista salads were generous although the cheese and dressing we both found to be very salty tasting. Carol ordered the Parmesan Encrusted Halibut with Mashed Potatoes and said both had little flavor or seasoning and what she could taste did not taste good to her. I ordered the Plank Salmon with Pasta which was cooked perfectly but where I too found them both to be bland tasting.

We then tried the dessert and I very surprised to find that this “Italian” restaurant doesn’t serve the classic “Spumoni” ice-cream. Nevertheless, we settled for the sorbet where it was discovered that three of the flavor selections mentioned were not available which the Server didn’t realize when we ordered. Of what was available, we were served a generous three scoops each which both were satisfactory. The saving grace was that our server was attentive and genuinely interested in our satisfaction and so received a better than 20% tip. We won’t be coming back to Centro for quite a while, as it does not appear to be the dining value that we had hoped. Maybe Pizza is their forté and we’ll give that a try.

Plank Salmon

I ordered the Plank Salmon with Pasta which was cooked perfectly but what I found did not wake up my taste buds…

Parmesan Encrusted Halibut

Carol ordered the Parmesan Encrusted Halibut with Mashed Potatoes and said both had little flavor or seasoning and what she could taste did not taste that good to her.

Starbucks Coffee

Coffee & Tea in Downtown Des Moines

Centro Restaurant

Pizza in Downtown Des Moines

12/02/2019

A dining patron from Muscatine, IA tried Helen & Pat's in Highland Park, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
I grew up and down Des Moines eating Helen and Pat's Cavatelli I live in Muscatine been all over the country Nothing Compares
11/28/2019

A dining patron from Salt Lake City, UT tried KFC - Kentucky Fried Chicken in Merle Hay.

11/20/2019

A diner from Gonzales, LA tried Baker's Cafeteria in Beaverdale.

11/17/2019

An American food lover from US tried Now OR Later Restaurant in Gray's Woods.

11/12/2019

A diner from US tried Beggars Banquet in Carpenter, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

11/11/2019

A diner from Bellevue, NE tried Stella's Blue Sky Diner.

11/09/2019

A diner from Streator, IL tried China Chef Restaurant in Greater South Side and liked it. They liked the food.

11/06/2019

A food lover from Newark, NJ tried Patience's African Cuisine, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

10/25/2019

A diner from Des Moines, IA tried Mr Bibbs Six Ave in Highland Park and liked it. They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

10/19/2019

A Chinese chowhound from Stillwater, OK tried China Place in Drake, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
Cons
building smells weird
Italian Downtown Des Moines Reservations
Fri-Sat 05:00PM - 11:00PM (Dinner)
Sun 04:30PM - 09:00PM (Dinner)
Mon-Thu 05:00PM - 10:00PM (Dinner)
Mon-Fri 11:00AM - 02:00PM (Lunch)
Sat 11:00AM - 03:00PM (Lunch)
Tue-Sat 02:00PM - 05:00PM (Pizza & Cocktails)

Centro Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Centro Bistro Des Moines, Where To Buy Olive Oil In Downtown Des Moines, Centro Restaurant Providence, Centro Restaurant Des Moines, Centro Italian Restaurant Dm Ia Usa, Restaurants In Downtown Des Moines Ia, Centro Des Moines, and Centro Restaurant, Providence.