1408 Clement St
San Francisco, CA 94118

Chapeau!

Neighborhoods: Central Richmond
Cuisine: French, Lunch, Vegetarian

Chapeau! is a French, Lunch, and Vegetarian restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

• 2/02/2014

A French food lover from San Jose, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

grubalicioussf photo

grubalicioussf

San Francisco, CA

Once is enough

I had really high expectations of this place since so many people have raved about it, but unfortunately,it turned out to be a less than satisfying dinner experience. I know Michael Bauer eats at a restaurant three times before he writes a review, and my hat goes off to him since in instances like this, I have absolutely no desire to return a second or third time. They pack so many people into such tight quarters, I don’t understand how it can be enjoyable.

My husband dropped me off while he looked for parking, and although I was seated promptly between other two-tops within handshake distance from me, the waitstaff completely ignored me. There I sat, for nearly 10 minutes, without anyone acknowledging my presence. No one offered me a glass of water or a menu while I waited. It wasn’t until my husband walked in and joined me that I suddenly became visible.

Then, when we did order, the server had to shout in order for my husband to hear him across the tiny table since the din was so loud. The server bellowed deafeningly over my right shoulder and later, I asked him to switch to my other side while I plugged my good ear and he shouted some more. I kid you not. And, as another server cleared a dirty plate from a neighboring table and turned around, he clipped my husband in the head!

The food was good, but was lost in the hot, noisy, claustrophobic bustle.

I know they recently took over one of our former favorite spots, Clementine, but I’m wary to go back for fear that they’ve doubled the amount of seating to replicate the Chapeau! experience.

Escargot

I had three courses which included my favorite, grilled escargot with rosemary and potatoes. I believe three courses was about $40. The other two items were not as memorable, sorry.

cliff photo

cliff

Mountain View, CA

Good French food

If you want to go to a place that has more traditional french food, skip Left Bank: go to Chapeau. It’s small, so reservations are absolutely needed (and can be hard to come by), but the meal is worth it. Plus it’s in Richmond, which is easier to park at than most other places in SF.

The service is exceptionally friendly, and the chef even comes out and greets you…you can tell he really loves his job and seeing how his patrons enjoy his food.

I started with a salmon appetizer that had smoked salmon, a salmon ceviche and then salmon roe all in one dish. Very interesting and enjoyable.

Our entrees were solid all the way around. We had a fish entree, duck leg, and the cassoulet (a bean stew with different kinds ofm eats in it), all of which were good. Still, I have to admit that the cassoulet disappointed slightly, since I had even higher expectations for it.

Desserts were good as well, and the flourless chocolate cake had a different flavor than most that I’ve had (not sure if I liked it more, but it was certainly interesting and different, which is refreshing).

All in all, a solid meal, and it’s more traditional than most of the European-American-Continental-Fusion whatever versions of French food that you get at most restaurants.

joyofdiningout photo

joyofdiningout

San Francisco, CA

WOW! Delightful & Delicious

Pleasant dining experience without feeling rushed. Maitre’ d was very accommodating and coordinated well with the serving staff. Chef Philippe is always a delight to watch interacting with his loyal patrons.

escargot,deep fried prawns, cassoulet de toulouse

started with deep fried prawns -perfect crunch
escargot – garlicky good
foie gras – pleasantly cooked, but could use more microgreens
cassoulet de toulousse – loved the lamb shank and the right amount of spices
nuage de noix – loved the mixture of nuts
creme brulee – very light and love the generous serving – perfect for sharing.

should be 4 1/2 stars. The goat cheese was amazing, and t...

should be 4 1/2 stars. The goat cheese was amazing, and the creme brulee was the best I’ve ever tasted. Must go back again! Highly recommended!!!!

French Good For Kids Parking

Bakeries in South Of Market

Pizza Zone ''N'' Grill

Lunch in Mission

Chapeau!  Restaurant Reviews

Chapeau! is located near the cities of Hayes Valley, Mission District, , Chinatown, and Haight Ashbury.
People found this by searching for: Chapeau Menu San Francisco, 1408 Clement Sf Chapeux, Chapeau San Francisco Menu, Chapeau Sf Menu, Chapeau Restaurant, Restaurant Chapeau San Francisco Menu, Chapeau Sf, and Chapeau Restaurant Menu On Clement.