126 Clement St
San Francisco, CA 94118

Chapeau!

Neighborhoods: Inner Richmond
Cuisine: French, Romantic, American

Chapeau! is a French, Romantic, and American restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

jmix photo

jmix

Irvine, CA

Wow! (Good sentiment)

This is the first ‘ritzy’ French bistro I have been to in San Francisco, so pardon my novice review and seemingly immature taste bud and lack of food jargon.
Instead of booking weeks or even months in advance, my friend was able to book a party for 4 the day before. Because it was a Saturday night, parking was absolute hell and we managed to arrive at the restaurant 20 minutes late. Not a problem, and the head chef Philippe personally sat us down after firm handshakes. He is a very jovial guy interested in his patrons. This was the first flag that this restaurant was not to be underestimated.

I started off with a pinot noir, which was very sweet and reasonably priced at $4.50 for a half-glass. The meal I ordered was the 3-course meal for a fixed rate of $38.
Food:
Appetizer: Salade Landaise:Frisée, Duck Confit & Smoked Duck Magret,Fingerling Potato Chips, Classic French Vinaigrette. The salad was OK, vinaigrette added a savory flavor. The chips at the side served as a nice complement to the salad, a softer and easier to chew version of the croutons found in a salad, yet still remaining crunchy. The cherry on top for this appetizer though, was the duck at the top. I love Peking duck, and I expected to chew right through this one but it instantly melted in my mouth causing instant palate gratification and sensory overload. This part alone made this appetizer worth it, eat it slowly. *
Entree:
Cassoulet de Toulouse: In simpler English terms, the main course appeared to be breaded lamb swimming in a sea of canellini beans. Like the other meat in this restuarant, everything is so soft and my teeth literally cut through the lamb like butter. The beans were mixed in a sauce and made the meal filling. The garlic and toulouse sausage was OK, I’ve had juicier and softer sausage.
Dessert:
Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake: Very hot, crispy chocolate cake that started ‘bleeding’ liquid chocolate once I cut into it. In the middle I found carmelized banana sorta like a hidden gem, props for the aesthetics of the meal. To the side was the creamiest vanilla ice-cream I have ever eaten, which made a cool compliment to the hot fudge. I also sampled my friend’s French Toast which she got at the waiter’s suggestion, and I must say that they transformed the french toast like an art. The soft, spongy french toast was a full-circle end to the satisifying meal (and if i were to go back again, I would definetly get this instead…. maybe I have a grass is greener on the other side envy).
Ambience was a little crowded, as this is a small restaurant but service was definetly unprecedented, even for an upscale resturant like this. Upon leaving, Chef Philippe got up again and bid us a good night. 5/5 for food, service, and price.

French Parking Prix Fix Menus

Chapeau!  Restaurant Reviews

Chapeau! is located near the cities of Hayes Valley, Mission District, , Chinatown, and Haight Ashbury.
People found this by searching for: Most Fun Restaurants In San Francisco Chapeau, Chapeau San Francisco Best Dishes, Chapeau San Francisco, Chapeau Sf, Chapeau San Francisco Menu, Chapeau San Francisco Images, Best Peking Duck San Francisco Michael Bauer, Chapeau Restaurant, Sf, Ca, and Chapeau Sf Pictures.