3300 Overland Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90034

Chego

Neighborhoods: Palms
Cuisine: Korean

Chego is a Korean restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

ThirstyPig photo

ThirstyPig

If you like Kogi, you'll like Chego!

Chef Roy Choi’s, of the Kogi Taco Trucks, newest spawn is Chego. Going against the norm, again. While traditional restaurants are considering mobile food trucks to expand their businesses, Choi opens his first sit down establishment.

Miss C had attended their friends & family soft opening earlier this week and told us about her Chego experience. With Choi’s daring creativeness to meld Asian flavors, I knew I had to try it. As a gourmet Food Truck pioneer with Kogi, you can see and taste Korean marinaded meats with latin tortillas. My earlier post about Kogi.

Tonight we sampled just about everything on the menu. I choose the One Chubby Pork Belly with fried egg, waterspinach, & peanuts. Any place that has pork belly and a fried egg is a winner in my book and will at least get 2 pigs. Though the pork belly was a tougher than I am accustomed to, yet made up for it with the flavor in the fat and sauce. I like the peanuts included in this bowl. The rice by itself was fine, but once mixed with the egg and runny yolk – it had a consistency, more sticky and globby, that wasn’t to my liking. Yet, I would still order it again, but wouldn’t mix everything together.

I believe the Tiny’s Prime Rib Rice Bowl with fried egg, waterspinach, and horseradish, might have been the best entree. The prime rib, well marinade Korean style, had the best flavor. The meat was tender just enough with a good fat to lean meat ratio. Sometimes, I don’t understand why people don’t like to eat fat on their meats? The glistening substance gives good flavor, moistness goodness, and provides nice texture to otherwise dry meat. Keep in mind, that this fat is good for, not like the unsaturated processed fat. I would be willing to sacrifice a few calories for flavor.

I know my Asian friends had reservations about this place, but I like it. They feel they could easily make this at home, but I think they may not necessarily be able to think of the different combination’s. Choi’s simple menu selections are done well. Coupled with his west LA location and the frugal mini-mall location, I think Chego’s will be able to sustain for awhile.

What to Order: One Chubby Pork Belly, Tiny’s Prime Rib Rice Bowl
What not to Order: The Chicken – It might be a bit too spicy.

One Chubby Pork Belly

Tiny’s Prime Rib Rice Bow

Probably the best tasting meat

Korean Takeout

Chego  Restaurant Reviews

Chego is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Chego Palms, Chego Overland, Chego Menu, Eat Chego, Che Go Overland, Chego Restaurant, Chego, and Chego Los Angeles.