2602 Rue St-Patrick
Montreal Metro Area, QC H3K 1B8

Chez Magnan

(Between Rue d'Argenson and Rue Charlevoix)

Neighborhoods: Le Sud-Ouest
Cuisine: Roast Beef, Pub, Steakhouse

Chez Magnan is a Roast Beef, Pub, and Steakhouse restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

CheapEthnicEatz photo

CheapEthnicEatz

Montréal, QC

Christmas Dinner

So this past Friday was our annual Holiday dinner and also the wrap up for the year 2008. For this year I chose Chez Magnan, our first time more tradional American, if not Quebecois fare. This restaurant has been around for now 76 years and is famous for their roast beef.

We were 30 to be seated in the large somewhat looking like a home’s dining room room. As usual we had a blast all together, its never a dull moment. The usual goal of “breaking Julia” was acheived at least 4 times. By breaking I mean make her laugh hysterically to her high musical tones. We also had quite a number of new faces with us.

The meal was pretty good. First off was a tomato soup. Unfortunately it was quite lukewarm. Then we had our parmesan cheese melt square. Most everyone took the roast beef and I have to say it was dedlicious. The meat was quite tender, served medium-rare, with fresh veggies and a baked potato. I don’t know if anyone else had something different. My dinning neighbour introduced to me the concept of eating roast beef with horseradish. It was actually a perfect match, I loved it. Finally dessert was a simple rolled cake. One could choose from a chocolate flavour (which was unimpressive apparently) or a vanilla one with a great hazelnut icing. Again, very basic cuisine but good and hearty.

The only complaint, or warning perhaps, I would have to give is the service. It is not a fine dinning establishment and the service is a bit rough around the edges (like the neighbourhood it is situated in). I remembered this already from my last visit a few years back. I was also told by another table that the waitress was less then respectful by squarely moving physically a chair with the patron on it to clean the table at the end of the meal. Not too impressive.

roast beef

rwarren69 photo

rwarren69

Montréal, QC

Hockey Night in the Pointe

Magnan’s began in 1932 as a canteen for the Magnan family’s lumber industry. Today it is a three-floor restaurant mixing fine dining and casual dining, with an attached boutique. Our group was on the main floor, with the original tavern-style format.

I have a talent for choosing a seat that is near or directly under the speakers, and this night was no exception. Loud music gave way to an even louder hockey game, broadcast on TVs and large screens around the room. Conversation proved incredibly difficult once the game was underway.

Two menus were available: a small pub-style menu with nibbles such as nachos and seasoned fries, as well as the regular menu for a more substantial meal. I ordered off the main menu. The specialty is roast beef, taking up a full two page spread. You can choose from several sizes of meat servings. The menu is a bit deceiving about the side dishes: the way it is written, it appears that all sides are extra, which is not the case. The roast beef à la carte comes with “juice” (pan drippings), a choice of potato, and vegetables.

It was not always easy to get hold of a waiter, but once we did service was relatively prompt. We placed our orders just before the pregame commentary, and the main dishes arrived at the top of the second period. Horseradish for all was delivered very promptly — but it had to be requested.

The restaurant offers a Privilege point card that also works in the boutique. If you do not use your card within a year it does get deactivated, which happened to me. This was my first visit, but I had signed up for the point card years ago at a trade show. The staff told me that I had to wait till Monday to get my card fixed up — which they promise to do on my behalf, if they kept my bill with the point number written on the top. Hopefully they will keep their promise.

I came away with mixed feelings. I was very happy to get out of the noisy environment. My food was soso, yet I ate it all — and quite rapidly too. I would be willing to try this place again, on a much quieter night and with a different dish.

roast beef

The 6 oz portion is the smallest one available. I like it well done, or at least the crispy bit on the end. BIG mistake — instead of the plate-covering, picture-perfect slab my tablemates got, my piece was shrivelled and burnt. Although I asked for “not too much juice” there were enough pan drippings to practically float the meat. They made the vegetables (yellow and green zucchini with a bit of pepper and onion) soggy as well as the fries. But at least the food was hot and the plate was generous.

sweet potato fries

Among the potato choices available, for a small extra fee, are sweet potato fries. Yes they may be frozen (notice the sizable ad from the frozen food company in the menu!) but there were lots of them, and the ones that didn’t have a pan-dripping bath were crisp. There were even one or two regular potato fries mixed in for good measure.

Roast Beef Tavern Pub

Chez Magnan  Restaurant Reviews

Chez Magnan is located near the cities of St Colomban and Saint Colomban.
People found this by searching for: Chez Magnan, Chez Magnan Menu, Chez Magnan Restaurant, Chez Magne Erstaurant, Chez Magnan Restaurant Montreal, Chez Magnan Montreal, and Restaurant Chez Magnan.