Chiang Mai Thai

Neighborhoods: Uptown
Cuisine: Thai, Soups, American

Chiang Mai Thai is a Thai, Soups, and American restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

• 8/16/2013

A Thai food lover from Minnetonka, MN tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

BananaWoo photo

BananaWoo

Never a Wait

There has been an influx of Thai restaurants in the Uptown scene during the past few years. Chiang Mai Thai has hung in there even though Amazing Thailand, Tum Rup and Roat Osha could have stole some of their thunder. For the past four years Chiang Mai has been voted best Thai restaurant by City Pages, maybe they are on to something.

One of the best parts of Chiang Mai to me is I never have to wait. There is always a host at the station up front, super friendly and they get you seated. Chiang Mai has a lot of space in their dining room as well as a private dining area and bar and lounge. The dining space is intimate, but spacious at the same time. The huge booths give you privacy and comfort. The lounge area is also nice with high top tables and a decent sized bar. The walls are cream colored; the ceiling is covered with bamboo and paper lamps and it is almost like a resort (‘exotic vacation’ says the website).

For food there is a menu filled with apps, salads, stir fry, noodles and curries. My favorites are the chicken satay and fresh spring rolls for apps. I especially like the peanut sauce and cucumber vinaigrette that comes with the satay. I’m usually pretty dull and go with the pad Thai for my entrée. Chiang Mai does a great job with their pad Thai. It is fresh and not overly greasy. I also add mock duck which makes the dish only $10, a good deal when you have enough for lunch leftovers the next day. All items are reasonably priced and average $10-$12 per dish.

Lastly, they serve Taj Mahal lager in big bottles. They had me at beer. Chiang Mai also serves wine and a number of specialty drinks including the Black Widow, the Urban Monk and the Asian Knightmare (they named one after me, how nice).

Open daily from 11:00am to 1:00am. Full menu is served until 11:00pm
HH Sun-Fri 4:00pm to 6:00pm and again from 10:00pm to midnight

Chicken Satay

Skewered, marinated chicken flash fried and finished on the the grill. Served with curried peanut sauce and cucumber vinaigrette, yum!

vegetarian spring rolls with peanut sauce

Rice paper rolls stuffed with noodles, lettuce, cilantro and bean sprouts. Available with curried beef tenderloin or vegan. I’m used to my spring rolls including beef and shrimp, but vegetarian is alright too.

Spazz photo

Spazz

Hillsboro, OR

Dinner with a Rembrandt

Date Visited: Tuesday 7/21/09 (Dinner)

We were looking for a location that enabled a local friend of mine (from the Rembrandt) to walk from his “uptown” location and since those who had been there before said it was good, we went with it.

The atmosphere here is good. The restaurant is clean and had a nice design. We sat in a big booth and had a very friendly server who was knowledgeable with vegan requirements. That’s a big plus.

We had 2 orders of appetizers (vegetarian spring rolls). Each order has 4 spring rolls with a side of peanut sauce. I thought it was okay. It was Happy Hour, so it was a discounted price until 6 p.m.

For the money, it was okay. I think it was about $85 for the 5 of us, before tip. I was glad we got some Happy Hour items. My friend got 4 items off the menu and it seemed to fill him up pretty well. Everyone else seemed pleased with what they got, so I’d definitely go back to it again if I’m in the area.

Pad See Ew

Alicks ordered the Pad See Ew (or however they spell it there….always finding places spell it their own way) with tofu. I was asked if I wanted rice or egg noodles. I should have stuck with the egg noodles, but I opted for rice noodles. This is the 2nd time I’ve had Pad See Ew with rice noodles and the 2nd time I’ve been disappointed. I have learned my lesson though.

jaimelane18 photo

jaimelane18

Great curry entrees, extremely convenient for take-out

Great curry entrees, extremely convenient for take-out

jasmine12 photo

jasmine12

I love this place!

When you want Thai food in Minneapolis this is the place to go. I love their wide selection of menu options and they allow you to choose what meat or non-meat you want them to put in your dish. This is great for vegetarians. You can ask them to hold the MSG too. The ambiance here is very nice. My brother orders the green curry dish and I order the stir frys. They also have nice vegetarian spring rolls with peanut sauce. I’ve enjoyed everything that I’ve ordered!

vegetarian spring rolls with peanut sauce

tasty and nice

8/17/2017

An Asian chowhound from Minneapolis, MN tried Lien Son Restaurant in Northeast Park, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

8/16/2017

A diner from Naples, FL tried Staccato in Downtown West, didn't like it, and rated it . They didn't like the food, didn't like the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
None
8/15/2017

A diner from Minneapolis, MN tried Baker's Square - Brooklyn Park.

8/13/2017

A Mexican chowhound from Marshall, MN tried El Rancho Grande Restaurant in Windom Park.

8/13/2017

An American chowhound from US tried Runyon's in Warehouse District, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

8/11/2017

A Vegan chowhound from Saint Paul, MN tried Hard Times Cafe in Cedar-Riverside.

8/09/2017

A Fast Food chowhound from US tried Tom's Popcorn Shop in Northrup.

8/08/2017

A dining patron from Saint Paul, MN tried Sebastian Joe's Ice Cream Cafe in Linden Hills and liked it. They liked the food and liked the service.

8/07/2017

A dining patron from US tried Lot 57 in Downtown West, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

8/07/2017

A dining patron from Minneapolis, MN tried Tahtianna's Soul Food in Camden Industrial, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Thai Uptown Soups
Tips
  • Happy hour is Sunday through Thursday 4pm-6pm, 10pm-12am and Friday 4pm-6pm. Enjoy $3 glasses of select wine, tap beer and rail drinks and half-price appetizers.
  • Portions are enormous--consider sharing entrees, or be prepared for plenty of leftovers.
  • The drink list offers an assortment of fruity delights: Try a Phuket Sunset or a lemongrass martini.
Sun-Sat 11:00AM - 01:00AM

Chiang Mai Thai  Restaurant Reviews

Chiang Mai Thai is located near the cities of St Anthony and Saint Anthony.
People found this by searching for: Mai Thai Restaurant Robbindale, Mai Tai Robbinsdale Mn, Thai Restaurant In Mn, Mai Tai Restaurant Robbinsdale, Chiang Mai Thai Menu, Chiang Mai Thai Menu Minneapolis, Chiang Mai Thai Minneapolis Mn Vegetarian Reviews, Mai Thai Robbinsdale Menu, and Chiang Mai Thai Uptown.