931 Fischer Blvd Ste 19
Toms River, NJ 08753

Chicken Town

Cuisine: American, Gluten Free, Breakfast

Chicken Town is a American, Gluten Free, and Breakfast restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid less than $10, and tipped more than 18%.

• 11/16/2020

An American chowhound from Toms River, NJ tried it and liked it.

• 3/03/2018

A diner from Toms River, NJ tried it.

• 6/02/2015

An American food lover from Ashburn, VA tried it.

• 10/18/2014

An American chowhound from Ashburn, VA tried it.

valschoolrn photo

Reagent photo

Reagent

Toms River, NJ

Stickin' to the chicken.

Val the school nurse is right; Chicken Town does have excellent fried chicken. I’ve certainly had better, and I know I’ve had cheaper, but the chicken here is always crispy, hot, fresh, and nicely seasoned.

That being said, Chicken Town has its deficiencies.

In my experience, almost anything on the menu that isn’t fried chicken is one of those deficiencies. The other things are, for the most part, edible, but nothing to write home about. Some of them are downright disgusting.

The mashed potatos and gravy are, to me, a good example of that. I’ve only ordered them twice, early in my patronage (I thought I might have caught them on a bad night the first time around), and the first time I was put in mind of “hospital”. The second time, I could only think “public school cafeteria”. Those were the highest honors I could bestow on them – they must be avoided at all costs.

The ribs are big, fatty beef things… just about inedible. The macaroni and cheese must come from the same institutional supplier as the potatos and gravy. I must say, though, that I do like the fried zucchini, and that the fried jumbo shrimp are not terrible at all, though I suspect they begin life at Chicken Town in a frozen bag. Nevermind – it’s probably safer for all concerned that way.

Let me say that this is an establishment I patronize frequently, but I have developed a method for dealing with Chicken Town that I call “Half Home-cooked”. I make my own mashed potatos, mac and cheese, biscuits (no, they don’t sell biscuits, just potato rolls), and just use them for their marquis product. By doing this, I am never dissatisfied.

The only other thing I can think to say about this establishment is that, though they purport to be open until 10:00 pm, plan on getting there 15-30 minutes earlier; otherwise, you run the risk of being sighed at, and having to endure a lighthearted explanation of how they were going to close up early until you, the… valued customer, called up at 9:15 with a 24 piece order.

R

fried chicken

The fried chicken is always excellent. Moderately battered, well seasoned, hot, fresh, and juicy.

American Parking Good For Kids

Chicken Town  Restaurant Reviews

Chicken Town is located near the cities of South Toms River, Beachwood, Pine Beach, and Island Heights.
People found this by searching for: Chickentown Toms River, Chicken Town Toms River Nj, Chickentown Menu, Chicken Town Menu, Chicken Town Toms River, Chicken Town Lakehurst, Chicken Town, and Toms River Nj Chickin Town.