China Island

Neighborhoods: Kenwood
Cuisine: Chinese, Lunch, Breakfast

China Island is a Chinese, Lunch, and Breakfast restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go and paid less than $10.

• 11/08/2017

A Chinese food lover from Tipp City, OH tried it.

• 12/02/2014

A diner from Chicago, IL tried it.

• 10/16/2014

A diner from Chicago, IL tried it.

• 12/24/2013

A dining patron from Loveland, OH tried it and liked it.

• 8/13/2013

A Chinese chowhound from Columbus, OH tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 5/18/2013

A diner from Bloomington, IL tried it and liked it.

GregS18348 photo

GregS18348

Blue Ash, OH

Hard to Find - Mixed Review

It’s a little tricky finding this place, if you were to think that this was easily visible from Montgomery Road, as I did. Tucked in behind the Fabulous Frames and Art store in the Hosbrook Center, in the very back of the strip mall, is China Island. I will say from the outset, and being a regular at the Chinese take-outs in the area, that this stands on par with the other local Chinese fare. In other words, about average. About average (to a little high, relatively) in price, in quality, in appearance, in service, and in flavor. But that’s not said in any derogatory way. Some highs, some lows, some average.

My order was to go, and it had been called in ahead of time, at lunch hour, during a weekday. I was told “10 to 15 minutes”, and true to their word, at the 15 minute mark, my order was ready. The gentleman working the counter was polite and efficient, and worked not only the to-go orders and the counter, but also the small(ish) dining room. I didn’t really pay that much attention to the dining area, but I would say it holds maybe 24 or 25. The entry and waiting area is a bit small, but there are a couple of chairs, or you can sit at a table three feet away in the dining room.

Upon arrival at home (maybe six to eight minutes), I unpacked my well stocked (three days’ worth of meals) bag. I had ordered the Combo Lo Mein, a large Hot and Sour Soup – they make it meatless, (H&S Soup is my benchmark), an order of Chicken in Garlic Sauce, and an order of Fried Won Tons. There were sufficient condiments (4 soy, 2 duck, 2 small Sweet & Sour cups, and a hot mustard), as well as napkins, forks and a spoon. And to my delight, there was an order of Crab Rangoon slid in there, too. I don’t know, perhaps they have a “Free order of Crab Rangoon” if you order above a certain amount.

The Won Tons were cooked well, but the filling was really pretty flavorless. Typical frozen style dropped in the fryer type, or so it seemed to me. The Crab Rangoon was pretty good. Nice cream cheese flavor. Again, the typical fast food Chinese offering.

I was disappointed that the Hot and Sour Soup did not fill the container, but was instead only maybe 75-80% full. I’m used to it touching the lid at the other local places I frequent. The soup itself was OK. Not really spicy, rather mild. I would order it again, but I wouldn’t go out of my way for it. It’s meatless, tofu only. Not how I ordered it, just how it comes. A few red pepper flakes in there, plenty of tofu, bamboo shoots, and mushrooms.

The Lo Mein was also just OK. It was a little dry for my taste though, and could have used a little more sauce… There were plenty of “little goodies” in there, however. Chicken, shrimp, pork, beef, onions. All in all acceptable, especially with the sauce from my garlic chicken on top.

The chicken in Garlic Sauce, mmmm. I ordered it with extra garlic, and they complied. Quite possibly the best dish I ordered. Chicken, mushrooms, snow peas, carrots, and broccoli, all bathed in a delicious, garlicky brown sauce. Mine was accompanied by steamed rice, which was, well, steamed. I would expect it to be OK, all things considered.

So – Overall – OK. Nothing outstandingly great, or outstandingly poor. Not far from the Kenwood Mall, they are conveniently located to the freeway. They cater for larger groups, and best of all? They deliver. $10.00 minimum and a three mile radius. I’ll have to try that one of these days when I can’t make it out. They are the only one in the area that delivers, and at 2.5 miles from my house, I think I’m in luck.

Garlic Chicken

whatever11 photo

whatever11

Cincinnati, OH

i love this place

the staff/owners are extremely friendly. the prices are fair. as long as you are not an idiot about ordering chinese takeout, the food is absolutely delicious. they are quick and accommodating with your order. there are a lot of food venues in this kenwood area; china island is by far my favorite! try the beef lo mein! order it extra spicy!

October 3, 2009

very good!

I have tried several take out chinese places in this surrounding area and this one is the best.

12/12/2017

An Italian food lover from US tried Scotti's Italian Restaurant in Central Business District, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

12/10/2017

A diner from South Elgin, IL tried Burbank's Real Barbecue in Sharonville.

12/08/2017

A Mexican food lover from Columbus, OH tried Mi Familia in Springdale.

12/08/2017

A dining patron from Cincinnati, OH tried Village Pizza in Newtown, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

12/08/2017

A diner from Cincinnati, OH tried Thai Express in CUF and liked it.

12/06/2017

A diner from Greenbrier, AR tried Chili Time Restaurant in St. Bernard.

12/06/2017

A Pizza food lover from Cincinnati, OH tried Gramma's Pizza in Mount Carmel.

12/05/2017

A dining patron from Cincinnati, OH tried Win Wok - Beechmont Ave in Cherry Grove, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
Typical of area fast food american/chinese cuisine. Not a place you want to hang out, but the food is tasty and inexpensive, the service is fast and overall experience is a positive one. This is by no means "fine dining" or even good casual dining but rat
Cons
Parking can be a chore, no the restaurants fault, just a poor layout on the part of the strip mall design. The restaurant is a small very and has a "bus station" like feel to it, not a place I would choose to sit down to eat.
12/05/2017

A dining patron from Cincinnati, OH tried Wok Inn Express in St. Bernard and liked it. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

12/04/2017

A Korean chowhound from Oxford, MS tried HARU, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Chinese Lunch Breakfast

China Island  Restaurant Reviews

China Island is located near the cities of Norwood, Fairfax, St Bernard, Saint Bernard, and Roselawn.
People found this by searching for: China Island Menu, China Island Cincinnati, China Island Kenwood Menu, China Island Hosbrook, China Island, China Island Kenwood, and China Island Cincinnati Menu.