515 Essex St
Hackensack, NJ 07601

Chit Chat Diner

Cuisine: Diner, Catering, Cafe

Chit Chat Diner is a Diner, Catering, and Cafe restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid less than $10, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

Overall
Pros
"Very bad service and very mean waiters!!!!!!"
"Loved the bread with the dipping sauce they start you off with"
  • 3/07/2020

A dining patron from TX tried it and liked it. They liked the food and liked the service.

• 12/22/2019

A Diner chowhound from Montville, NJ tried it.

• 11/29/2019

A dining patron from Hackensack, NJ tried it.

• 11/19/2019

A Diner chowhound from Glen Ridge, NJ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

• 11/26/2015

A dining patron from Hackensack, NJ tried it, didn't like it, and rated it . They didn't like the food, didn't like the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
    Very bad service and very mean waiters!!!!!!
  • 9/28/2015

A Diner chowhound from Saddle Brook, NJ tried it and liked it.

• 9/27/2015

A Diner chowhound from Union City, NJ tried it.

• 5/09/2015

A dining patron from Ashburn, VA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 3/29/2015

A diner from Newark, NJ tried it.

• 3/21/2015

A Diner food lover from Newark, NJ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

cantbeatgoodfood photo

cantbeatgoodfood

Hackensack, NJ

Delivery Service

Decided to order Lunch from Chit Chat for their cheese burger deluxes,Nice they are local and have the delivery service,got here quickly,pricey though i paid over 21.00 for 2 cheese burger deluxes before tip,the burgers though were as usual [Great,Nothin beats a good diner burger]

Cheese Burger Deluxe

The Burgers were very good,my son ordered the double bacon cheese burger deluxe and loved it,2 cheese Burger Deluxes delivered were pricy but love their burgers.Their Breakfasts are pricy still,wish they had specials like some surrounding area Diners.

LadySnake photo

LadySnake

Hackensack, NJ

Chit Chat-ting About Great Food

I’ve been there twice in the past week (both on a Tuesday night for dinner with my sister, and Wednesday afternoon for lunch), and both times, although the place was busy,the wait staff were falling all over the place for us/me, making sure everything was ok, if we needed/wanted anything else, if the food was ok, etc. My sister, for dinner, had the spinach salad, which was delicious and fresh as if the baby spinach leaves had just been picked. She doesn’t like bleu cheese, so asked for cheddar instead. The salad came with TONS of shredded cheddar just as she asked. I went for my usual stand-by…a turkey club. The only problem I had with it was the turkey looked/felt like lunchmeat turkey (OK, maybe I’m spoiled with Fairmount Eats and their turkey clubs, but that place is another story). The mayo/dressing was delicate and tasty, and the fries were perfect! Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, the way a good fry should be.

Wednesday afternoon, I went, alone, for a late lunch. Again, the wait staff was falling all over me to make sure I was happy and comfortable, even though it was obvious that my waiter was having lunch at the same time (I saw him at a booth on the Essex Street side of the diner with a friend, eating and talking) I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted, but had narrowed it down to any one of the 3 ‘Platters’. I had mentioned that to my waiter (Trevor, a nice young man, with personality and professionality), and he suggested the meatloaf. Now, once it comes to meatloaf, I’m VERY picky! It has to be either my mother’s or mine…I don’t like most people’s meatloaves. THIS was excellent! And REAL mashed potatoes! (or should I say ‘smashed’? Tiny bits of lump of potato were the secondary tell-tale sign of the potatoes being ‘real’, the first, of course, was the taste) I had wanted to save half of the meal, since the portions are so huge, for later, so I could have a bit of dessert, but I couldn’t stop. The meatloaf and the mashed were gone before even I realised I had eaten the entire plate (and, yes, I had eaten every bit) Didn’t care for the vegs much, though. The tomatoes were overcooked, while the squashes were way undercooked.

Only other problem with food quality we had on either visit was their Red Velvet Cake. A Red Velvet cake should be moist, and theirs was dry and not really tasting like Red Velvet…more like a redder than normal Devil’s Food. Loved the truffle filling, though.

All in all, though, 2 visits for us call for more, and we can’t wait for both the web site to go online and the deliveries to start (as we don’t go out much, but order in a lot). The portions are huge, which validates the average going for price of a diner-type meal today, by actually giving you 2 full meals for the price of one, and the nearness of the highways (Route 17 and I-80) makes it a convenient meeting place for friends from all over. Lots of free parking and right off the bus as well :-)

Homemade Meatloaf Platter

I only like my own and my mother’s meatloaf, but after the recommendation by the waiter, I had to try it. 3 large, although thin, slices of a very tasty meatloaf, topped with melted American cheese and mushroom gravy (and the ‘shrooms were HUGE!) and ’real’ (not instant) mashed potatoes.

4/03/2020

A Burgers food lover from US tried McDonald's and liked it. They liked the food and liked the service.

3/07/2020

A Diner chowhound from TX tried Chit Chat Diner and liked it. They liked the food and liked the service.

2/10/2020

A diner from US tried Oriental Restaurant.

2/09/2020

A diner from Belleville, NJ tried Waterloo Sue's.

1/08/2020

A diner from Millburn, NJ tried New Heritage Diner, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

1/05/2020

A dining patron from Bronx, NY tried Crow's Nest.

12/22/2019

A diner from Montville, NJ tried Chit Chat Diner.

11/30/2019

A dining patron from US tried Crow's Nest.

11/29/2019

A Diner food lover from Hackensack, NJ tried Chit Chat Diner.

11/19/2019

A Diner chowhound from Glen Ridge, NJ tried Chit Chat Diner, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Diner Catering Good for groups

Chit Chat Diner  Restaurant Reviews

Chit Chat Diner is located near the cities of Bogota, South Hackensack Township, Maywood, Teaneck, and South Hackensack.
People found this by searching for: Chit Chat Dinner Menu Hackensack, Chit Chat Diner Menu, Chit Chat Diner Hackensack, Chit Chat Diner Hackensack Menu, Chit Chat Dinner, Chit Chat Diner In Hackensack, and Chit Chat Diner.