1537 Barrington St

Cuisine: Ribs, Continental, Canadian

ClaireColville photo

ClaireColville

Toronto, ON

For Halifax this is quite a concept. First of all, the ou...

For Halifax this is quite a concept. First of all, the outside of the resturant has a t.v screen which displays what must be the view from a surveillance camera placed right in the kitchen. (Brilliant AND brave!!) the inside is clean, fun but classy,you feel welcome instead of priviledged. I live in Toronto and yet I’ve never seen a twist like this on a bowl of seafood chowder: a simple chive cream broth and floating in the middle are three whole CHUNKS of lobster, haddock and one whole scallop. Okay, so I had to saw away at them with my spoon, but still worth the fresh approach. Also tea biscuits made fresh in-house replace the tired buns-in-a-basket, and are placed on your table in a rolled up paper bag with a helping of, yes, maple butter. Sad to say I was late meeting someone and had to skip what looked like one of the most appealing dessert menus I’ve ever seen…

Leigha photo

Leigha

Halifax, NS

On the Fence

Where to start?…. There were excellent components to the meals had here, and there were disappointments.
I was very much looking forward to trying this restuarant. So, when an "out-of-town guest came to visit and offered to take us out, I suggersted Chives.
The homemade biscuits were great, the stuffed Portabello mushroom was fantastic.
However, I ordered the organic steak and was shocked to find that it was tough/full of gristle/and tastless.
Normally, I find a way to politely mention a complaint- but, in this circumstance, I could tell it was important to my paying guest that I enjoyed the meal. So, I focused on the good and kept quiet on the steak.
With that said, I was surprised that the waitress did not pick up on the fact that the majority of the steak was left on my plate.
This was a very costly entree and it was certainly a disappointment that it was a clearly a poor cut.

Am still discerning if I am going to go back and hope for a better dish next time.

Ribs Downtown Dinner
Sun-Sat 05:00PM - 09:30PM

Chives Canadian Bistro  Restaurant Reviews

Chives Canadian Bistro is located near the cities of Brooklyn, Halifax Regional Municipality, and Dartmouth.
People found this by searching for: Reviews Chives Canadian, Reviews Chives Canadian Bistro, Chives Tea Biscuits Halifax, Chives Halifax, Chives Restaurant Tea Biscuits, Chives Halifax Twitter, and Chives Canadian Bistro Reviews.