6525 W Sunset Blvd
Hollywood, CA 90028-7201

Citrus at Social

Neighborhoods: Hollywood
Cuisine: Californian, Late Night, Contemporary French

Citrus at Social is a Californian, Late Night, and Contemporary French restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

No Rating
tinajean photo

tinajean

Burbank, CA

The Artic in L.A.

It was my first time dining at Citrus. I arrived at 7:30 pm (my favorite time for dinner) and got seated right away.

For my appetizer I regrettably had the Goat Cheese Caesar – Roulade. The lettuce was stood up forming a box with the goat cheese in the middle and the croutons on top. Unfortunately, the salad was soaked in Caesar dressing and had so much garlic that you could not taste the goat cheese. Once you opened the box of lettuce it all became a pool of dressing. For my entrée I had the Artic Char, potato grits, sherry gastrique. The potato grits had a very pungent, metallic taste to them which meant that a little too much saffron was added to the broth which did not taste good. The server apologized, took the plate and replaced it with a potato napoleon. All in all it was a good dish I just wish I could have tasted the cherry gastrique.
For dessert I had the Mushroom Vacherin which is Chocolate ice cream, pistachio anglaise and crispy chocolate pearls. This was my favorite as it was one giant mushroom you had to hit it with your spoon and break open. Once you did that the meringue of the shell coated with chocolate and the ice cream mixed together tasted like a whopper. This was a very whimsical dessert as it was fun to look at as it was to eat. The highlight of the night, though, was when the chef gave us a tour of the kitchen.

artic char at Citrus at Social (CLOSED)

artic char

goat cheese caesar at Citrus at Social (CLOSED)

goat cheese caesar

Mushroom - Mushroom Vacherin at Citrus at Social (CLOSED)

Mushroom Vacherin

This was a very whimsical dessert as it was fun to look at as it was to eat

BruinBelle photo

BruinBelle

A pleasant dining xperience 4 all

We had a wonderful dinner as part of dine LA restaurant week. I thoroughly enjoyed the beet n tuna salad w/ each sweeet n savory bite; some ppl in our party ordered the wild mushroom/chestnut/peanut butter soup which was wildly delicious! My entree of artic char served w/ saffron infused potato grits was equally delectable! Another star in its own right was dessert: mushroom vacherin w/ delish chocolate ice cream encased in a chocolate coated shell situated on a gleam of pistachio anglaise accented w/ tapioca niblets. Since (consulting) Chef Michel Richard’s pastry joint on Robertson in neighboring BH has been a local favorite 4 many many years, desserts @ Citrus no doubt reap the rewards! A 3-course late nite dessert @ Citrus would be a real treat! :-P Valet parking was $10 yikes!

beet n tuna salad, artic char, mushroom vacherin

mh2mh photo

mh2mh

Pleasantly surprised

Honestly, I was expecting somewhere in the middle of the road. But my selections for dinner were very good, and much better than I had expected.

1. Beet and tuna salad: this was excellent. I liked the heavier complex soy sauce used to marinade the tuna, and I always like beets, and the sweetness from the beets was a good contrast to the salty.

2. Vegetable risotto: it was surprisingly made with pearl pasta. The vegetables were cut into tiny dice, and were very bright in flavor as well as color. The pearl pasta also helped to make this dish very spring-like. There was probably a tad too much parmesan, but overall, this was a happy dish.

3. Michel’s chocolate bar: upscale kit kat—what’s not to like? It’s good chocolate (not like the real kit kat), there’s crispy, and lots of hazelnut in there. It was also a bit larger than I expected, so that’s good too.

The space is very attractive, mixing the old architecture of the building with very pleasing apple green chairs, and dim but not too dim lighting.

The big highlight was touring the kitchen after dinner. Wow, that was one clean kitchen. Wish mine could be that clean all the time. The Sous Chef took us around, explained things, and answered our questions. He was very friendly, amiable, and accommodating.

A very good dining and overall experience at my first visit to Citrus.

RJHemedes photo

RJHemedes

Needs more Zest

I had dinner at Citrus late February of this year. I’ll be up front that the dinner was hosted and paid for by Menuism.

I remember a few years ago when I was unfamiliar with the restaurant, that I thought the place was some kind of nightclub because of the people standing in line with the bouncers on the sidewalk. That’s because Citrus shares the same structure with a nightclub called Social. That was when the Economy was still red hot and before the bubble burst. The place almost had an exclsuive feel to it as I glimpsed at it from the sidewalk, but felt too intimidated to check out what was going inside.

So flash forward to last February. the Recession is in full swing and I drive up on a week day night. There are 2 valet people at the front and they tell me that the cost is around $10. I’m almost tempted to look for free street parking, but its a week night and I’m tired and tend to be unlucky when it comes to street parking.

I grudgingly give my car and step inside the restaurant and my mood elevates a little. The ambiance is nice. Stark white walls accented with lime green and lemon yellow. Definitely citrus-like in theme and decor.

I read that the building it now occupies used to be an exclusive gym for old Hollywood stars in a bygone era. You could sense the history of the place and I’m glad the current occupiers have restored the place and added modern touches to it at well.

One thing I did notice that even though it was DineLA month, the place was mostly empty. I had heard that the restaurant cut down to 3 days a week because business was so bad.

But I’m not hear to tell you a SOB story about how the Recessions is affecting upscale restaurants, I’m here to talk about the food.

So the appetizer I chose for dinner that night as the Chestnut Soup. It didn’t taste at all like chestnuts because it was overpowered by the peanut butter and wild mushrooms. If anything it tasted like a cream of mushroom soup with a dash of PB. It had a nutty and almost smoky taste to it. Overall, I liked the soup but it didn’t wow me.

For my entree selection, I had the 72 Hour Short Rib with Potato Napoleon. This one was a big let down. I guess having eaten at Bludso’s the weekend before, dishes like short ribs have to be absolutely phenomenal to even compare. The cut of meat seemed a little on the fatty side, and the portion was rather small. If I ever revsiit this place, I would not order this dish again. Good thing I wasn’t paying full price for it.

For dessert, I had the Mushroom Vacherin which consists of Chocolate Ice Cream, Pistachio Anglaise, and Crispy Chocolate Pearls. Without a doubt, this was the best part of the meal. It looked very unique – literally a giant mushroom on a plate. Someone in our table described it like a gourmet malt Whopper, and I thought about and and she was right. the crunchy malt did taste liek Whoppers, but better. The pistachio sauce blended very well with the other ingredients. Sometimes pistachio sauce can be a bit overpowering, but not in this case. I would go back only to order this dessert again and pay full price for it.

After dinner, our host arranged for us to tour the behind the scenes kitchen. our guide was the sous chef. He was very pleasant and friendly and answered all our questions. Behind the kitchen is a huge ballroom that sits empty. It was almost sad seeing such a large area being underutiilized, because I imagined all the glamorous parties that must have been held there in a bygone era.

The chef did admit that business was slow and they did have to cut their operations. He made a half joke about them managing to remain open, but I could sense the fear and uncertainty in his voice as well. I’m not sure if Citrus has enough Zest going for it to survive in this current climate.

After the tour, it was time to go and as I walked out to get my car from the valet, I noticed that there was a small line of people waiting to get into Social. I thought it was ridiculous that the number of bouncers equaled the number of guests in line. Rather than trying to seem exclusive and out of touch with the current economic reality, both Citrus and Social should open up their doors and lower their prices, especially the outrageous valet price..

Chestnut Soup

Doesn’t taste like chestnuts at all. Its more like a smoky cream of mushroom with a touch of peanut butter.

72 Hour Short Rib

For something that took 72 hours to prepare, it really wasn’t all that impressive. The meat quality wasn’t as good as I expected and the portion was small.

Mushroom - Mushroom Vacherin at Citrus at Social (CLOSED)

Mushroom Vacherin

If you must order something at Citrus, then order this dessert. Not only is it visually eye catching, it tastes pretty damn good as well.

CleverGrrl photo

CleverGrrl

Beautiful package, unimpressive food

I ate at Citrus at Social during the DineLA promotion. The first thing I noticed was that the dining room was gorgeously designed in yellows, pale greens, and with shabby-chic flair – a design I wouldn’t mind imitating in my own bedroom, it was so light, airy and pleasant.

Another thing I noticed: The dining room was absolutely vast – and it was virtually empty, on a Thursday night.

There were rumors that the restaurant had been doing so poorly, due in part to the inflated prices, that it could only afford to be open three days a week (Thursday- Saturday). When our group had a tour of the kitchen later that night, we confirmed with the sous chef that the restaurant was at a precarious point financially due to the low patronage.

You’d think that the lower DineLA promotional prices would have motivated a rush of business, so it was eerie to still see the restaurant so empty, even when the prices were low. A companion whispered to me that the “trendy” prices, coupled with relatively average fare, had prompted most LA foodies to direct their interest elsewhere, including to better restaurants also offering a promotional menu.

At any rate, you wonder: How’s the food? Not bad. The Beet and Tuna Salad with Pickled Daikon was presented nicely, in a hockey-puck-like assemblage. The cooked beets and raw tuna were cut into identical-looking chunks, creating a playful effect, as you couldn’t tell whether you were about to bite into a beet, or a piece of tuna.

The “72 Hour Short Rib” was – per the current trend – tiny pieces of meat, displayed artfully on a white plate that was a good 6x the size of the food portion. Accompanying the fatty spareribs was a yummy tatertot-like potato log (“Potato Napoleon”), which I initially thought was breaded in panko crumbs, but it turns out (I think? I can’t remember…..) was actually rolled in finely-shredded filo.

The desert, a “Mushroom Vacherin – Chocolate Ice Cream, Pistachio Anglaise, Crispy Chocolate Pearls,” was the most memorable thing I had that night. It was a frozen confection, sitting in a puddle of pistachio, that clearly invoked something whimsical out of Edwards Scissorhands or Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The dessert was so creatively presented, it was easy to overlook the fact that its flavors were pretty pedestrian.

All in all, would I go back? Despite the pretty ambiance, relatively creative food, and friendly kitchen staff who kindly showed us around, the normal menu prices would pretty much scare me away. In these economic times, it’s all about value for your money, and that’s not really what Citrus’ everyday menu offers.

Californian Late Night Contemporary French
Thu-Sat 06:00PM - 01:00AM
Mon-Wed 06:00PM - 11:00PM

Citrus at Social  Restaurant Reviews

Citrus at Social is located near the cities of West Hollywood, Los Feliz, Universal City, Koreatown, and Mound.
People found this by searching for: Citrus Restaurant Hollywood, Citrus Restarunt At Scocial, Citrus Bar Social, Citrus At Social, Menu Et Photos Restaurant Citrus At Social Hollywood L A, Citrus At Social Hollywood, Citris To Social Resturant, Citrus At Social Restaurant, and Social Hollywood Restaurant.