428 E Locust St
Des Moines, IA 50309-1910

Continental Restaurant

Neighborhoods: East Village
Cuisine: American, Continental, Breakfast

Continental Restaurant is a American, Continental, and Breakfast restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.

Overall
Pros
"Atmosphere, great drinks! "
"Great food, but pricey for what you get"
Cons
"Slower service"
  • 9/03/2017

An American chowhound from Des Moines, IA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Atmosphere, great drinks!
    Cons
    Slower service
  • 10/06/2015

An American food lover from Fort Myers, FL tried it.

• 12/17/2014

An American food lover from San Jose, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 8/11/2014

An American chowhound from Singapore, 00 tried it.

• 3/22/2014

A dining patron from Chicago, IL tried it.

• 12/06/2013

An American chowhound from Clive, IA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Great food, but pricey for what you get
  • 9/28/2013

A dining patron from Des Moines, IA tried it and liked it.

• 8/26/2013

A diner from Norwood, MN tried it.

williamsmom photo

williamsmom

Fort Wayne, IN

Excellent tapas!

We had really good Tapas here. The service was somewhat poor, but you take the good with the bad, I guess. This feels like fine dining without the “stuffiness” of a major upscale restaurant. They have a great variety of items such as empanadas, chorizo and just about anything else you can think of.

Chorizo Tapas

Cooked perfectly and not too spicy.

Wolfie81 photo

Wolfie81

Des Moines, IA

Shabby-Chic Inside and Great Tasting Food!

This is NOT your white table cloth kind of place, but on this day the food was definitely Fine Dining !

On this hot July day their AC wasn’t working; nevertheless we were marginally comfortable. I’m not fan of the dim hall-way arrangement, and the stark décor and overly used menus leave a lot to be desired, but for an East Village “Atmosphere” it was fine. What I really did enjoy was the background music when they were playing the original “Misty”, and then all the other ‘50’s easy listening vocals, to include the King, Elvis.

Our waiter was friendly and attentive. The quality is certainly worth the price paid and so The Continental will be among our future dining choices.

Crab Cakes

I started my dining experience with two Crab Cakes sitting on a plate drizzled with a freshly made Tartar Sauce and two lemon slices. I found the cakes to be lightly breaded with plenty of crab meat which tasted absolutely delicious to me.

Roasted Pear and Blue Cheese Salad

Carol ordered the Roasted Pear and Blue Cheese Salad which was of good size with many pear slices which she enjoyed immensely.

Cheese and Olive Empandillas

Next we shared two Cheese and Olive Empandillas with a flakey pastry containing the smooth Spanish Manchego cheese and the Greek Kalamata olives. We found them not to be salty with a wonderful flavor.

Baileys Cheese Cake

We finished our meal with the only dessert available, which was a Baileys Cheese Cake on a Chocolate drizzled plate. Umm Umm Good !! I could have licked the plate.

American Good for groups Continental

Continental Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Continental Des Moines Menu, The Continental East Village Des Moines, Continental Restaurant Des Moines Menu, Continental Restaurant Des Moines, The Continental Menu Des Moines, The Continental Des Moines Menu, Continental East Village Des Moines, and Continental Food Des.