7601 River Rd
Newport News, VA 23607

Crab Shack Seafood Restaurant on the James

Neighborhoods: River
Cuisine: Waterfront Dining, Catering, Pub Food

Crab Shack Seafood Restaurant on the James is a Waterfront Dining, Catering, and Pub Food restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

Overall
Pros
"Best blackened tuna I have ever had."
"Service was excellent. Food was cold and greasy."
Cons
"Worst seafood I have ever had. Oysters had NO flavor at all. Soft shell crabs were so greasy they were dripping . Waitress ... What waitress . Bad service bad bad food. "
Comments
"Don't waste your money"
  • 5/27/2021

A diner from Virginia Beach, VA tried it and liked it.

• 6/14/2019

A Waterfront Dining chowhound from Yorktown, VA tried it.

• 2/20/2018

A diner from Suffolk, VA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Best blackened tuna I have ever had.
  • 11/03/2016

A dining patron from Mechanicsville, VA tried it.

• 9/02/2015

A diner from Hampton, VA tried it, didn't like it, and rated it . They didn't like the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 5/17/2015

A diner from Atlanta, GA tried it, didn't like it, and rated it . They didn't like the food, didn't like the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Cons
    Comments
    Don't waste your money
  • 5/10/2015

A Waterfront Dining food lover from Ashburn, VA tried it and liked it. They liked the food and didn't like the service.

• 9/02/2014

A Waterfront Dining food lover from Ashburn, VA tried it and liked it. They liked the food.

• 9/02/2014

A Waterfront Dining chowhound from Ashburn, VA tried it.

• 8/01/2014

A dining patron from Ashburn, VA tried it, didn't like it, and rated it . They didn't like the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Service was excellent. Food was cold and greasy.
msmith5060 photo

msmith5060

Ashburn, VA

Terrible Filthy Resturant

We had reservations for Sunday 2PM 11 people. We had to wait 20 mins to be seated. We then waited for 1hr & 20 mins for food to be delivered. When food arrived it was luke warm. duh! a couple diners discovered hair on their plates, yuk. The shrimp salad was room temperture, wilted lettuce and some frozen whole shrimp tossed on. The salmon looked like chicken (infact we thought it was a very dry chicken breast) It was so over done it could have been used to sole a shoe. I asked to speak with the Manager, was told by my waitress there is nothing they can do. I tracked down the Manager who happens to be the owner. Funny I see why she/Manager would not come to my table. I explained the lousy service and cruddy meals, smiling, she said “Sorry” when asked to comp the hair dinners, she said we should have told them before the people started to eat. What???All three diners stopped eating when the hairs were found, the rest of us had that quesey feeling ..hopeing not to get sick. The owner did nothing to appease us, other than SORRY. I’m sorry to have to write this review. The absolute worst resturant I have ever eaten it.

BJ photo

BJ

Carrollton, VA

WOW!!! The Sunset

Located on the bank of the James River, The Crab Shack (not to be confused with the inferior Joes Crab Shack), is THE place to visit if you’re in the mood for the best tasting seafood, at the most reasonable price’s. Voted the best She Crab soup for several years in a row and the crab cakes cannot be beat; ANYWHERE! With virtually no filling in the crab cakes, they are sure to fill you up, but make sure you get one fried and one broiled. For all the salad lovers, make sure you try the freshly made tuna steak tuna salad. We aren’t talking about canned anything here folks. This tuna salad is hard pressed to be beat. Fresh ingredients and an open atmosphere are sure to make a warm summer evening a very romantic outing, or a great family get together. If you are a Bar rat, then you have to pull up a stool and have yourself a world famous Blue Crab Margarita. Keep em to 1 or 2 though, they tend to be on the strong side. The shrimp jammers and fried oyster’s will satisfy your tummy until you can order one of their jumbo half pound Shack Burger’s, topped with bacon and fresh lump crab meat. Make sure you get the out of this world fresh cut cole slaw as your side. After you have enjoyed your fantastic meal inside or outside on the covered deck, make sure you take a stroll down the mile long fishing pier located behind the restaurant. It is free for restaurant patrons to parooze, but for all of you die hard fisherman out there, cheap rates do apply. Let us not forget the avid boaters out there who like to spend the day on the water and bring the crew in for a hearty dinner. The Crab Shack has a pier sure to accommodate your vessel. Just pull on up, tie off and come enjoy some fine dining all while watching some of this areas most beautiful sunsets. I have been coming to The Shack now for over ten years and it has yet to let me down and the wait staff is easy on the eyes as well.

crab stuff flounder

awsome

MargieHenton photo

MargieHenton

Poquoson, VA

Good food right on the water. Nice place to...

Good food right on the water. Nice place to stop for a couple of beers after work.

thiesjm photo

thiesjm

Richmond, VA

Great Crabcakes & Margaritas!

The Crab Shack has a great atmosphere…it’s got ambiance, and a great view of the James River. My family and I went to this restaurant after Saturday night Mass. We were craving seafood, and boy does this restaurant deliver! My mom and I had the crabcake dinner…complete with side salad and baked potato; my dad had the crab-stuffed flounder, which I must say he immensely enjoyed; and my sister had the fried shrimp plate, which I don’t think she liked because it was all gone:-) Our waitress was very kind, and checked on us every so often. Also, the margarita that we all shared was excellent! (although we do think that there was a little too much tequila). Overall, this restaurant rocks!!!

Crabcake dinner

Waterfront Dining Parking Outdoor seating

Crab Shack Seafood Restaurant on the James  Restaurant Reviews

Crab Shack Seafood Restaurant on the James is located near the cities of New Market.
People found this by searching for: Newport News Restaurants On The Water, Crab Shack Newport News, Crab Shack Newport News Virginia, Crab Shack On The James Menu, Newport News Waterfront Restaurant, Crab Shack Newport News Menu, Newport News Waterfront Restaurants, Love Shack Newport News, and James River Resturant For Seafood.