11288 Ventura Blvd Ste F
Studio City, CA 91604-3149

Daichan

Neighborhoods: Studio City
Cuisine: Japanese, Breakfast, Catering

Daichan is a Japanese, Breakfast, and Catering restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

Pros
"Kid friendly, yummy food"
  • 1/23/2016

A Japanese food lover from Encino, CA tried it.

• 2/24/2015

A diner from Los Angeles, CA tried it.

• 7/09/2014

A dining patron from Los Angeles, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Kid friendly, yummy food
sushifoode photo

sushifoode

Burbank, CA

not great

This was an OK restaurant. Nothing special. I wanted it to be better since it is one of the few remaining Japanese owned restaurants. We saw only one other Japanese person eating is the place other than ourselves. So much for the soul food title. The decor is interesting but be advise THEY DO NOT SERVE WINE OR BEER. If you want alcohol you can go across the street to the liquor store. I ordered seared albacore polki. There was so little fish that I had to pick it out to get a taste of fish.

Garlic Baby Squid

nicely cooked but too much garlic. It got in the way of the taste of the squid. Order it if you like garlic more than squid. and the sauce did not enhance the taste of the squid. I believe that the main ingredient should be enhanced by the other accompanying ingredients, not masked it.

seared albacore polki

This dish had almost no fish in it. The pieces were so small I could barely taste it. The dish fills you up with rice, seaweed and lettuce. The rice was very good.

RJHemedes photo

RJHemedes

Japanese Comfort Food in the SFV

Daichan is one of those pleasant surprises when you step inside. My urban hiking group originally meant to have a late lunch at Lal Mirch, but we missed their lunch hour by 7 minutes. So as we trekked back up Ventura Blvd., looking for an alternate restaurant, we decided on Daichan.

Daichan bills itself as ‘Japanese Soul Food’. Its really better described as comfort food, since the dishes aren’t as loaded with calories and cholesterol as real soul food. Its almost amusing that this place is a neighbor to Sushi Nozawa. While Sushi Nozawa is more strict and rigid in terms of ambiance and ordering food, Daichan is a lot more laid back.
You even get that sense from the outside where they have a partially walled patio covered in ivy in front of their entrance.

When you step inside, its almost visual overload. You see several traditional Japanese slippers placed at the front, enhancing the feel that you have been invited to a Japanese home for lunch or dinner. And the walls – they are completely covered with artwork. I took pics and posted them so that you can see this for yourself. Even the restroom is decorated in a cute, comforting and amusing way – too bad I forgot to take a pic of it.

To start things off, my group ordered green tea and persimmon tea. The green tea was really good, but the persimmon tea had an almost soapy taste to it. We then ordered several items including: shrimp and vegetable tempura, garlic baby squid, their signature tuna poki bowl, sukiyaki, stuffed pumpkin, tempura udon noodle soup, eggplant, fried seaweed tofu with sweet ginger sauce. I took pics of some portions of the menu and posted them as a reference.

For myself, I ordered their miso soup. It was much better compared to most of the miso soups I have ordered at many other Japanese restaurants I have visited. The shrimp and veg tempura was okay. I thought the batter was a bit too thick, almost Americanized. The garlic baby squid was tender and tasted good. The stuffed pumpkin really was a Japanese squash, but it was good. The eggplant dish was okay. I’m not a major fan of tofu, but the seaweed tofu was actually decent. I also don’t like raw fish, but the tuna poki bowl was actually good.

The two dishes that really impressed me were the sukiyaki and the udon soup. The sukiyaki was served over a bowl of rice – something I have never seen before. I thought it would be dry, but it wasn’t. Its a really hearty meal in itself. If I ordered it myself, I could probably only eat half of it before getting full. The tempura udon noodle soup is very rich in flavor and the texture of the noodles is perfect.

We finished things off with dessert which was deep fried green tea ice cream. The thick batter was slightly sweet, and it really complimented the green tea ice cream.

The total cost for all the items was around $77 (not including tip), which was pretty good for a group of 6 hungry people. The service is very friendly, patient and attentive. Daichan is definitely a place to go and hang out with friends.

They have some parking available in the strip mall its located in.

Tuna Poki Bowl

I don’t like raw fish, but even I liked this dish

Stuffed Pumpkin

One of the better miso soups that I had in any Japanese restaurant I’ve visited.

Deep fried tempura green tea icecream

Yummy dessert. the ice cream has a strong green tea flavor and the tempura batter compliments the ice cream perfectly.

Fried Seaweed Tofu w/sweet ginger sauce

Not bad for tofu

Garlic Baby Squid

Tnder squid and decent garlic flavor

Shrimp and Vegetable Tempura

Batter is too thick

Stuffed Pumpkin

Its not pumpkin, its squash.

Sukiyaki

ho would have thought sukiyaki would taste good piled over rice and served that way?

Tempura Udon Noodle Soup

Really good flavor an texture. Almost perfect!

dhnoho photo

dhnoho

North Hollywood, CA

Japanese Soul Food

Ok, so I didn’t make up the term Japanese Soul Food, in fact the restaurant is marketing themselves as such. It’s right next to Sushi Nozawa and they are the anti-sushi-nazi venue.

We found this venue by accident, after a city hike on Ventura, we were so hungry and the original place we wanted to dine at was closed, so thought to try Daichan as a friend heard it was a good place to eat.

When you walk in, you immediately feel the coziness, very homey, Japanese chotchkies planted everywhere, menu items are written on the walls and the food is made from the heart and soul.

It is family owned, the service is friendly and attentive. We shared everything amongst 6 people, so we did sample more than what we would have if dining alone.

The toro poki bowls, the fried seaweed tofu, garlic baby squid and sukiyaki were my favorites. Sadly, we couldn’t eat another bite of anything else, thus didn’t get the chance to try their sushi or sashimi.

Variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarion options. I highly suggest dining with a group of people and order family style.

Garlic Baby Squid

The squid was perfectly cooked, not battered, crunchy and just the right amount of chewiness. The garlic element was not too garlicky, in fact, I prefer just a tad bit more garlic but otherwise, it was still good.

Tuna Poki Bowl

I like rice, vegetables and fish/tuna. This was a pefect combination of all three with the addition of seaweed, green onions and sesame oil. I would have liked more tuna with this particular dish, next time I may ask for extra tuna.

Sukiyaki

This was a nice dish. A delightful mix of beef, tofu, vegetables, eggs rice, and harusame noodles (noodles made from sweet potatoes). It had a bit of sweetness from the teriyaki sauce but not too sweet.

Stuffed Pumpkin

This was a bit odd to me as the menu stated that it’s stuffed pumpkin with chicken and vegetables, but I couldn’t taste the chicken or other vegetables. It maybe gourd or buternut squash as it was on the sweeter side. Served tempura style.

Shrimp and Vegetable Tempura

Nothiing out of the ordinary, just the standard tempura fare with a heavier batter.

Tempura Udon Noodle Soup

I think it was this dish that our vegetarian friend ordered. It was good also, served with thick udon noodles, the broth was a nice balance of miso and seaweed flavors.

Fried Seaweed Tofu w/sweet ginger sauce

Scrumptious. It’s very similar to Agedashi Tofu but their version is a ightly battered tofu and wrapped with seaweed. The ginger sauce was not as pungent, a very mild taste – just the perfect touch. Served in four pieces, we halved them so everyone can have a taste and ended up asking for another order. It was that good.

adamd photo

adamd

My second home. Hawaiin Garlic Chicken, Poke...

My second home. Hawaiin Garlic Chicken, Poke Bowl, Portagee sausage, eggs and rice. :)

Japanese Good for groups Breakfast
Leonor

Vegetarian in Beverly Glen

Rice Wok

Soups in Beverly Glen

Daichan  Restaurant Reviews

Daichan is located near the cities of Toluca Lake, Coquitlam, Sherman Village, Valley Village, and Toluca Terrace.
People found this by searching for: Daichan Menu, Daichan Restaurant, Daichan Ventura Menu, Daikon Studio City, Daichan Studio City Menu, Daichan Kaichan, Daichan, Daichan Menu Studio City, and Daichan Studio City.