327 E 1st St
Los Angeles, CA 90012-3901

Daikokuya

Neighborhoods: Downtown
Cuisine: Ramen, Lunch, Sushi

Daikokuya is a Ramen, Lunch, and Sushi restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid less than $10, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

diggydrew photo

diggydrew

best japanese ramen in los angeles

This small little ramen house in Little Tokyo is a jewel. It’s been acclaimed by foodies alike for its authentic Japanese ramen, reasonable prices, and most importantly how damn tasty the ramen is!

Atmosphere: It’s easy to miss this place if it weren’t for the yellow awning in the front. Inside you’ll find a bar, a few tables, and most likely a line of people waiting. The interior is decorated with old 1950’s Japanese posters and ads.

Daikokuya ramen (kotteri)

All parts of this dish are amazing. The noodles are cooked fresh to tender perfection. Usually ramen noodles are undercooked making them too chewy. These noodles are cooked when you order your dish, so they are not over or undercooked. The texture of the noodles are pretty good.

Equally important, if not more, the soup is made from scratch from pork bones that have been simmering for hours. The result is a soup that is savory, rich, and surprisingly refreshing. The seasoning of the soup is not overpowering, but has overtones of a light soy sauce leaving room to experience the essence of the pork. A caveat: this ain’t no regular ramen; this is a real meal. You’ll find that this will fill you up, and goes very nicely with some Japanese beer. If you want more pork fat, just ask the waitress that you want your soup “kotteri”.

On top of the soup, they add thinly sliced green onions, sesame seeds, bean sprouts, slices of fatty pork, and a seasoned boiled egg with a yolk that is slightly runny. The yolk really did me in when I had the ramen the first time.

What you have in the end is a masterpiece tantamount to the experience you see customers raving about in the movie “Tampopo”. After finishing the noodles, I guarantee you’ll be slurping every last drop of this ramen.

ArammaruKim photo

ArammaruKim

La Crescenta, CA

Really good ramen here.. although, I...

Really good ramen here… although, I personally didn’t see it as a Ramen shop. (I only saw two kind of ramen there when I went… I might have not seen the menu right) but I remember my friend and I were looking through the menu and thinking for a ramen shop they don’t have much of a selection of ramen.

However, besides the quantity of ramen types, the quality of the ramen I had was very good. I normally don’t drink the soup, but I kept drinking it even after being done with the noodles! Now… if they only had some A/C…

Now, you walk into Daikokuya and you KNOW...

Now, you walk into Daikokuya and you KNOW you’re in a ramen house. They’ve captured the ambience pretty well, all the way down to the temperature. I went on a Sunday afternoon at about 4pm, thinking that it was a good time to miss both the lunch and dinner crowds. Probably true, but there was still a wait of about 15 minutes. We put down either table or counter so my party of 2 sat at the counter, which I think added to my first Daikokuya experience.

I really like the menu and how you really have no choices about what ramen to order. Sometimes, too many choices (like Shinsengumi – ugh the one in Rosemead was awful!) takes away from your experience, and it’s nice to just have your decision made for you.

I ordered a bowl ramen and Dave ordered the ramen and eel rice combo. We also got the fried spicy tuna appetizer, which was kind of pricey but definitely tasty (I really liked the leaf that they wrapped the spicy tuna in – I don’t know what it’s called but it comes with your spring rolls at pho restaurants). Since we sat at the counter, we got to watch them prepare all the food, which was fun.

The broth, which is not clear like normal shoyu ramen but murky (which must mean there’s a little miso in it… I think?), was very tasty. The chasiu they use is pork belly I believe, so it was very fatty and lacked the heavy pork taste that the Orochon chasiu had. I thought it might have been a little too fatty, but I really liked the flavor. I also appreciated how all the essentials (bean sprouts, green onions, bamboo shoots, roasted egg, chasiu) came with the standard bowl of ramen, rather than having to add any of those things separately like at some places. The only thing that took away from my otherwise perfect bowl of noodles was that I thought they overdid it with the green onions, so much that the onion flavor overpowered the pork flavor of the broth. Other than that, it was quite possibly the perfect bowl of ramen, with perfectly cooked noodles (just enough chewiness) and a very flavorful broth (which was the perfect temperature too). Oh, and in case you’re wondering, the eel rice was very good also.

I was expecting a lot when I finally tried Daikokuya, because everyone talks about this place. Because of its reputation, I would give it 4.5 stars rather than 5 if I could, because of the overabundance of green onion. However, I’ll round up on this one, because it’s not very often I leave a restaurant as satisfied as I was that day.

sany photo

sany

Burbank, CA

Don't let the lines intimidate you, this place...

Don’t let the lines intimidate you, this place is worth the wait! Hakata-style ramen – great prices, excellent food.

best ramen in LA. the kurobuta pork they put in it is awe...

best ramen in LA. the kurobuta pork they put in it is awesome ..

sushifoode photo

sushifoode

Burbank, CA

$8.50 for this!

I was there for lunch Saturday, 4/18/09. It was 85 degrees in downtown LA. Daikokuya does not have AC. The place was hot and crowded. Mostly young adults in their 20s. Some were from the USC Med Center. It said so on their scrubs. I sat at the counter and watched them cook. They had a bunch of small strainers filled with pre-measured amounts of noodles that they hung over the sides of a boiliing pot of water when the order came in. There was also a timer. The amount of noodles was about enough to fill an 8 oz cup. Not much in my opinion. see the rest of the review below.

Daikokuya ramen (kotteri)

This is the house specialty. It is a pork based stock called tonkostu. My main issue was that it was not real tasty and it wasn’t much for $8.50 The meat was 2 two inch long slices of meat. The width was about half the width of bacon. The thickness was about that of hard salami. Not like the picture they show in the menu. The noodles were slightly undercooked. I do not understand why this place is so popular. its not bad but nothing to write home about.

Ramen Japanese Ramen Lunch

Ajwumo6ycr4ie0eje4dzty
john

Seattle, WA

Daikokuya  Restaurant Reviews

Daikokuya is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Daikokuya Ramen La, Pictures Of The Green Bamboo Restaurant In Little Tokyo, Ramen Little Tokyo Yelp, Ramen House Little Tokyo, Daikokuya Menu, Https:Japanese Restaurant In Little Tokyo Ca That Does Not Use Msg, Daikokuya Los Angeles, Ca, and Daikokuya Hours.