1723 Buchanan St
San Francisco, CA 94115-3208

Doobu

Neighborhoods: Japantown
Cuisine: Korean, Barbecue, Cuban

Doobu is a Korean, Barbecue, and Cuban restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.

grubalicioussf photo

grubalicioussf

San Francisco, CA

Craving tofu at Doobu

One of the nice things about having a toddler who likes to take late afternoon naps is that my husband and I get to enjoy liesurely meals, and by liesurely I mean two to three hours, while she snoozes in her stroller. Earlier this week, we headed over to our favorite Korean restaurant, Doobu, nestled in the heart of Japantown.

When you walk in, you notice the clean, simple decor with wooden booths on one side and tables on the other side just before the bar. A literal layer of warmth emanates throughout the place, an indication of the piping hot dishes being prepared in the kitchen. Servers are courteous and acknowledge familiar faces like ours. They bring out a myriad of side dishes including a whole fried yellow croaker for each of us, pickled cucumber, kimchi, fishcake, seaweed salad and vermicelli salad.

We order the kimchi tofu soup, with beef and medium heat. The cast iron pot is filled to the brim with silky soft tofu, bits of beef and kimchi, and the pretty red chili flecks characteristic of kimchi. We quickly stir in the raw egg while it’s hot. It’s so good over rice which soaks up the flavorful broth. The rice, by the way, is a light purple color as a result of combining both white rice and black rice together. We’ve had the corned beef soon tofu before but the kimchi version is tastier.

We also share the seafood bibimbap loaded with mussels, clams, squid, baby shrimp, assorted vegetables like mushrooms and onions, and an egg yolk all piled on top of white rice which has a delicious crispy layer coating the bottom of the sizzling pot. The only thing that doesn’t seem to mesh with the other ingredients is the imitation crab. Nevertheless, it is very satisfying.

Doobu is the perfect warm-you-up-from-the-inside-out place for a cold, foggy San Francisco day or night. They give you such heaping portions that it’s best to go when you are really hungry, and even then, you will leave stuffed and possibly with leftovers. One of these days, maybe my daughter will be awake and actually have a chance to enjoy their food. My son is a big fan of kalbi so we will have to bring him, too.

Kimchi Soon Tofu at Doobu

Kimchi Soon Tofu

This dish, like the seafood bibimbap, is so big, it’s impossible for one person to finish it. I love how Doobu lets you crack in the raw egg yourself. It’s boiling hot and filled with mouth-watering tofu, kimchi, and beef. The key is they use the soft tofu, that’s what makes it virtually melt in your mouth. You hate to fill up on the rice they bring on the side, but you can’t resist pouring the tofu soup over it to sop up the yummy flavors. Next time I think I’ll try it “spicy” hot instead of “medium” to see if there’s much of a difference. For those of you who don’t like a lot of heat in your food, you can order it “not spicy” or “mild.”

Korean Barbecue Cuban
Mon-Thu 11:00AM - 10:00PM

Doobu  Restaurant Reviews

Doobu is located near the cities of Hayes Valley, Mission District, , Chinatown, and Haight Ashbury.
People found this by searching for: Doobu San Francisco Menu, Dnootxbu, Doobu Restaurant In San Francisco Japantown, Doobu San Francisco, Korean Restaurants Japantown San Francisco, Doobu, Doobu Menu, Doobu Sf, and Doo Bu.