140 Stewart Green SW
Calgary, AB T3H

Earl's

Neighborhoods: Signal HIll
Cuisine: Continental, Southwest, Burgers

Earl's is a Continental, Southwest, and Burgers restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

• 12/14/2014

A diner from Seattle, WA tried it and liked it. They liked the food.

• 9/07/2013

A dining patron from Burnaby, BC tried it.

lolacola photo

lolacola

Calgary, AB

Ol’ Reliable

We have all been to an Earl’s once or twice. It’s certainly not new to anyone in Calgary, at least that I know of… heck I used to work at one back in the day! As is the case with most big chains they have a menu that almost anyone can choose something from. Pizza, burgers, pasta, soups and salads. They also have a few innovative or “feature” items for the eater who is a little more adventurous. Just a few. Anyways, the reason I am choosing to write this review is for the few people who have not been to an Earl’s and just because most people have tried it doesn’t mean it doesn’t deserve a review.

The particular location for the Tuesday evening choice was the Westhill’s location. Having recently received renovations it is undeniably gorgeous. Open expanses, cozy leather booths, dark wood and a very interesting Buddhist style fountain highlight the dining room. The lounge has a more hip look with funky chairs, and cobalt blue accents. One of the best things about this location is the patio. In the summer it is adorned with flowers and has comfy leather booths. Also it has high walls and a partial roof so it really feels private. But it being winter and me not wanting to sit beside screaming children we sat in the lounge.

Now one of my biggest complaints about Earl’s is the inconsistency. Sometimes the food is good quality and worth the price, sometimes it isn’t. Sometimes the service is good, sometimes it isn’t. However, the few times I have complained, management is very quick to remedy the situation whether it be giving you a new meal or bringing you an item the server neglected to.

Earl’s had a few new items on it’s menu and one of them caught my eye: Warm Feta and Spinach dip. Now usually I don’t like spinach and artichoke style dips at restaurants because they are usually tasteless, slathered in melted cheese and served with taco chips. This however, was a welcome surprise. The dip is a rich green and perfectly blended with lots of garlic. A generous portion of feta cheese is sprinkled on the top. The dip was served piping hot so my guest and I stirred the feta in so it melted. The pita chips were done just right and sprinkled with a delicious herb mix. This is a very filling appetizer and my guest and I could not finish it.

For her entree my guest had the Californian Pizza. Shrimp on a toasted pesto flat bread with mozzarella and melted feta. This dish is one of my favourites as well and my guest eats it the same way I do; with fresh tomatoes instead of sundried. She said it was very good as usual.

I opted for the soup and salad. Now because Earl’s is such a staple to me I usually go there to get one specific thing, in this case two of my favourites the clam chowder and cesar salad. However they had a feature soup, cream of mushroom, that sounded so good I had it instead of the chowder. But I wish I hadn’t…the soup had been topped with some kind of oil, I think truffle, and was very greasy. I had a bite and the taste was good but the texture was so oily. I would recommend asking for no oil. The cesar salad had it’s usual heavenly extra garlicky dressing. But the lettuce wasn’t the best quality. Often they seem to serve it a little on the soggy side…

I can’t really comment on the service since it was so forgettable. It wasn’t bad; she brought everything we asked for, it just wasn’t special. The bottom line is if you are looking for a place to please everyone this is the place to go. And even it can surprise you sometimes.

Warm Feta and Spinach Dip

So good, and perfect for garlic lovers like me!

Continental Southwest Burgers

Earl's  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Signal Hill Earls, Earl's Signal Hill, Earl's Hot Spinach Dip, Earls Spinach Dip, Earles Calgary Signal Hill, Calgary Restaurant Spinach Dip Calgary, and Earls Signal Hill.