1155 N Route 73
Mt Laurel, NJ 08054-2352

El Azteca

Cuisine: Mexican, Southwestern, American

El Azteca is a Mexican, Southwestern, and American restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid less than $10, and tipped more than 18%.

Overall
Pros
"We have been coming here for 10 years it is the best Mexican food in the area by far !"
"I love El Azteca this is my favorite restuarant by far. Great service and great food what more can you ask for"
Cons
"They need more locations! "
"None ever"
  • 7/01/2017

A diner from Willingboro, NJ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Cons
    They need more locations!
  • 8/18/2016

A diner from Riverside, NJ tried it.

• 8/11/2016

A Mexican food lover from Marlton, NJ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 10/09/2014

A diner from Ashburn, VA tried it.

• 9/03/2014

A Mexican food lover from Ashburn, VA tried it.

• 1/25/2014

A diner from Miami, FL tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Knowledgable waitress, excellant service, sometimes there is a long Waite for seating because everyone goes there. The food is worth the wait though. Have ever had a ad meal.
    Cons
    Need more seating area. Could arrange better pick up for call-in / take meals.
  • 12/12/2013

A Mexican chowhound from Berlin, NJ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Cons
    None ever
Slapicous photo

Slapicous

Mt Laurel, NJ

Gone Down Hill

I use to really enjoy going to the place. We went often and referred friends.The food was decent and fresh. Service was always so-so, but the food used to be worth it. But things have gone down hill in the last several months
The last 3 times we were in the place,(on a weeknight) one of the waitresses had her 2 yr old son in the dining room of the restaurant and she allows him to roam and play, jump in the booths with patrons, eat from their chip bowl, and the whole time, she just smiles at him. Friends & family have reported the same experience
This was the case the last time we were there and I couldnt wait to get out. Then came the clincher. Right before she brought our check, a COCKROACH climbed up the wall next to our table. That is enough for me – I am outta there

Enchiladas

Ambrosia photo

Ambrosia

Cherry Hill, NJ

The Best!

One fateful night, there was a 3-hour wait time at On the Border. We spotted El Azteca across the way and didn’t really think we’d like it as much, but wandered over since we were in the mood for Mexican food. We were told there would be a 25-minute wait, but were impressed at how quickly the wait staff were taking people in and the delicious aromas wafted by as dish after dish came out of the kitchen.

In total, we waited about 15-minutes and have never had to wait more than 5-minutes at El Azteca since that day (and I go there all the time now). The guacamole is great and definitely a better deal than the guacomole live at On the Border. I’ve tried their Fajitas (chicken and beef), Guadalajara Especial, Chicken Tostada, Chilaquiles, and Burritos and have never been disappointed. I even pick across the table at my spouse’s dishes and find them delectable.

Compared to On the Border, Mexican Food Factory and La Esperanza, both my spouse and I prefer El Azteca. La Esperanza runs a close second in both authenticity, service and flavor. On the Border may be better for their empanadas and their desserts.

Guadalajara Especial

This dish is fantastic! It comes with a whole medley of delectable items – tamale, taquito (one chicken, one beef), beans, nacho chip, rice, chicken, shredded cheese, guacamole, sour cream, etc..

The way they cook the taquitos, the shell has a very unique and inviting flavor. The tamales there are wonderful and combined with the other items, it’s the flavor of Mexico on a plate.

A fajita like dish

The fajitas are delicious, but lack the sizzle of the iron skillet that typically accompanies this dish. Other than that, it comes with all the fixins so be prepared for leftovers.

Tamale

I never thought I would like these, but the way El Azteca makes them—they are just right. They come prepared in their husks with the pork filling wrapped in a corn dough/flour. This isn’t spicy, but rather a mild mixture of flavorful seasonings that just makes your mouth sing. It comes with a highly seasoned sauce which is a great complement for the tamale.

Chicken Tacos (3)

They definitely don’t skimp on this! I find they use real chicken pieces vs. ground chicken for this. El Azteca loads up the shell and overfills the taco with mounds of cheese.

Fried Ice Cream

I wonder if this is really fried. I was sorely disappointed with this dish. After having the fried ice cream in many place (i.e. Benihana), I was expecting a scoop of ice cream that was quickly deep fried in a dough. This was more like ice cream rolled around in corn flakes.

Chips

Although On the Border still beats El Azteca on the flavor and consistency of their chips, El Azteca changed their chips (a definite change for the better) and are much more competitive now.

mom2mozart photo

mom2mozart

Mount Laurel, NJ

Authentic Mexican in Mount Laurel

I’ve never met a Mexican type of meal that didn’t appeal to me – so I may be a little biased. However, El Azteca is definitely not a cookie cutter chain type restaraunt. They food is prepared to order and not overdone with spice. It is a little surprising how different their food is than On the Border or Don Pablo’s… Don’t get me wrong, I love all of them – but El Azteca stands out. I have tried numerous things and have liked all of them. The presentation isn’t always the best – most times the meals are messy looking. They usually overfill the plate – but I’m sad to say, I’ve often cleaned my plate because it was so good. There is a nice subtlety to their food. Some of my favorites include their enchiladas and their chimichangas. I highly recommend eating there (although the decor is not much to look at)… Getting take out can be even messier than eating there. The food also gets soggy and they don’t label the containers – so when you order for several people it’s a guessing game. Their fried ice cream and fried banana desserts are wonderful. As is their homemade salsa and chips. The portions are large… And leftovers are good, even for breakfast. We don’t usually like to go in the dead of summer – because they keep it a little warmer than we prefer. Overall, I love the food, and can’t wait for my next visit.

Chimichangas

Large fried rolled shell filled with meat (chicken) and cheese, topped with lettuce and sour cream, and a side of rice

Enchiladas

Their sauce is awesome. It is flavorful, but not overdone. It is a perfect balance of seasoning in a rich, creamy red sauce. The meat is tender, the shell is soft. Overall, a delicous treat.

11/24/2019

A Pub Food chowhound from Mantua, NJ tried Miller's Ale House.

10/25/2019

A Deli chowhound from Mount Laurel, NJ tried Gaetano's Steaks & Subs and liked it.

10/14/2019

A dining patron from Mount Laurel, NJ tried Gaetano's Steaks & Subs, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

7/05/2019

A dining patron from Mount Holly, NJ tried B J's Country Store & Deli.

5/17/2019

A diner from East Haven, CT tried Gaetano's Steaks & Subs, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

4/23/2019

A dining patron from Mount Laurel, NJ tried Papa John's Pizza and liked it. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

1/14/2019

A Deli food lover from US tried Gaetano's Steaks & Subs, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

1/09/2019

A diner from Clementon, NJ tried Miller's Ale House.

12/20/2018

A Deli chowhound from Upper Darby, PA tried Gaetano's Steaks & Subs and liked it.

12/15/2018

A diner from US tried Gaetano's Steaks & Subs.

Mexican Casual Southwestern

El Azteca  Restaurant Reviews

El Azteca is located near the cities of Mount Laurel Township, Mt Laurel Twp, Mount Laurel, Moorestown, and Ramblewood.
People found this by searching for: El Azteca Mount Laurel Nj Menu, El Azteca Mt Laurel Nj, El Azteca Mt Laurel, El Azteca Mexican Restaurant Mt Laurel Nj, El Azteca Mt Laurel Menu, El Azteca Mount Laurel, and El Azteca Restaurant Nj.