218 W San Marcos Blvd
San Marcos, CA 92069-5636

El Palenque Taco Shop

Cuisine: Mexican, American, Cafe

El Palenque Taco Shop is a Mexican, American, and Cafe restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid less than $10, and tipped less than 15%.

• 10/26/2014

A Mexican food lover from San Jose, CA tried it and liked it.

guess photo

guess

Bonsall, CA

The real deal.....

I would say this is a new favorite in the category… “Taco Shop without Beer”

Really good Mexican food without beer…. can never be fairly judged with Really good Mexican food with beer.

I had been showing homes in San Marcos… and was recovering from a food binge on Fried Chicken last night. Why is it that when you really over eat… the following morning you are starved.

I could not possibly be really hungry… but I had a serious case of the munchies. So I drove over to the East end of San Marcos Blvd… where there is a substantially large hispanic neighborhood… with the logic that you just could not exist in this market… in this location… serving anything less than great Mexican food.

I drove into the strip mall and spotted the candidate… “El Palenque Taco Shop”… single store front wide… next to the laundrymat. I thought… yup… that’s what I had in mind.

Inside… four double booths… and a service counter with pass through to the kitchen behind. Basic Taco Shop. Floors were clean… tables were clean… smelled wonderful.

The menu… extensive… had many dishes offered in Spanish that I did not recogize. Everyone spoke Spanish. I took a little too much time reading the menu and asked the guy behind me to go ahead… and while he ordered a ton of food to go…. I decided to try the $.99 TJ style taco. I really was not sure what I was going to get. The choices were: Cabeza, Pierna, Al Pastor, Asada, Chicharron, Tripa, Carnitas, Pollo Asado, Pescado, Pollo Deshebrado, Lengua, Suadero and Birria. 9 of these I have no idea of what they are. I thought I knew something of Mexican Food??

With a Diet Pepsi… my lunch was $3.29 :-)

I chose Asada… Carne Asada… paid my money and sat down and started reading the notes and menu items. Everything sounded great… photos looked great… almost wished I really was going to eat more… but it was early in the day… and I did not want to repeat the food binge of the prior night.

Got my Diet Pepsi… picked up my tacos… added some lime juice… great chuncky hot sauce… a little extra salt… and some Carrots and Jalpenos… Looked and smelled great.

Tasted even better!!!

Carne Asada Taco TJ Style

Wow… hit the good luck home run on this one.

Two corn tortillas… for each taco… smallish… TJ style must be what some other places call “Street Tacos”… makes sence… but as small as they were… that’s how tasty they were.

A really nice generous helping of grilled Carne Asada… and spiced wonderfully… grilled perfectly.

Lots of Cilantro… lots of sweet chopped onions… and a creamy Avocado Sauce on top. Added to that was the delicious Hot Sauce… some lime juice… a little extra salt… and I nearly bit my fingers off.

I honestly can’t wait to go back and try more entres. Maybe I’ll admit my lack of knowledge… and find out what some of the other treasures are.

Mexican Carne Asada Taco American

El Palenque Taco Shop  Restaurant Reviews

El Palenque Taco Shop is located near the cities of Lake San Marcos.
People found this by searching for: El Palenque Taco Shop, El Palenque Taco Shop Hours, Palenque Taco Shop In San Marcos Ca, Palenque Taco Shop, El Palenque Taco Shop Restaurant Mexican, El Paleque Mexican Food In San Marcos Ca, El Palenque San Marcos Ca, Tj Style Tacos In Oceanside, and Palenque San Marcos.