Fat Canary

Cuisine: American, Breakfast, Gluten Free

Fat Canary is a American, Breakfast, and Gluten Free restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid more than $50, and tipped more than 18%.

Pros
"The owner is a douche bag and people suck that work there they have no idea how to cook"
williamsburgbabe photo

williamsburgbabe

Williamsburg, VA

Better than last time, but still things aren't perfect

We joined another couple to celebrate a special birthday. The table promised when making the reservation was not available for us. The service was good but not great. Our waiter tried to remove our dinner plates before we were all finished. We ordered drinks and my whiskey sour was ordered “up” and came “on the rocks”. I had to send it back. The parsnip soup for appetizers was on the salty side and was too thick. Two of us ordered the pork chop for our main course and we both thought the meat was on the tough side but the flavor was good. The gruyere bread pudding accompanying the meal was very good. The two other diners were satisfied with their scallop and monkfish dinner. Dessert was the macadamia nut pie with grilled pineapple and ice cream and that was excellent. All in all, it was another average meal at Fat Canary. Each time I go, I expect that it will get better, but they still have to prove themselves to me. Everything is over-priced by more than 15%. I know the rent on Duke of Gloucester St is expensive, but in these times of economic downturn, they should follow suit with lowering their prices a bit. The restaurant was less than half full at 6:30 with a few people coming in after 7PM. By the time we left there were about 4 tables occupied. The bottom line is that it is a lot to pay for a mediocre experience.

Pork Chop

The meat was tough because it was cooked too long. The sauce accompanying it was good and helped with the dryness of the meat. I can do better in my own kitchen.

NC_Chevalier photo

NC_Chevalier

Raleigh, NC

5 of 5 stars (excellent upscale dining).

(see explanation of ratings below)

Fabulous food. Lively (loud) room with very little separation of kitchen, dining room and bar.

About $85-$95 per person (if you drink as much as we did), gratuity and dessert not included.

About my ratings:

Only high-priced dining establishments can garner five stars. Until menuism realizes that a fast food joint cannot possibly be ranked equally with a $100 per person place, I need to draw the line somewhere. If we were only talking about the quality and presentation of the food, it would be a different story. But, as we know, menuism’s rankings take into account the entire dining experience.

Therefore, I divide restaurants into three categories (and I wish menuism would do the same):

1) fast food and “fast-casual”, low-priced (no table service).

2) casual, mid-priced dining (table service, average entrée price: $10-$20).

3) fine, high-priced dining (linen napkins, no plastic cups, no TV’s in dining room, average entrée priced at more than $20, can vary depending on the city).

High-priced dining can earn a max of five stars. Mid-priced dining can earn a max of four stars. Fast food can earn a max of three stars.

January 13, 2012

ascunn

Williamsburg, VA
0 useful

Fat Canary  Restaurant Reviews

• 12/09/2014 A diner from EU tried it, didn't like it, and rated it 1 star. They didn't like the food, didn't like the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
  • 8/22/2013 Nc_chevalier tried it.

People found this by searching for: Fat Canary Williamsburg, Fat Canary Menu, Fat Canary Williamsburg Restaurant, The Fat Canary Williamsburg, Open Table Reviews Fat Canary 23185, The Fat Canary Menu, Fat Canary Williamsburg Menu, and Fat Canary Williamsburg Va Menu.